Xbox One MKV transcoding

schmitty

schmitty

Hi, 

All of my DVD's and Blu-Ray's have been ripped to MKV, using direct stream copy from the source, with no compression. The DVD rips play fine, but the Blu-Ray rips playback is stuttered. I am guessing this is because they are being transcoded, and the bit rate of the rips is a direct copy. If this is the case, how can I stop the server from transcoding and, should I consider re-ripping the Blu-Rays to a lower bit rate, or use compression?

chef

What audio are the rips? Xbox one doesn't like DTS audio.

In most cases it is the audio which triggers transcoding with Xbox one.

It also doesn't like bitrates in video higher then 10000.

Hope that helps.

schmitty

Video bitrate is 15308 kbps

Audio is DD5.1

Would it be ok to drop the bitrate to 10000 kbps, or would it be safer to rip to 9999?

Edited by schmitty

chef

I would perhaps drop the bitrate to under 10000.

anywhere between 8000 and 9999 should work nicely with Xbox.

schmitty

I have dropped the VBR to around 6000 kbps, and they are still being transcoded.

FrostByte

The only files I have that transcode now are ones with DTS using the web interface on XB1 and mine are all over 6000 kbps (8k min).  The transcode log may point to why your files are still being transcoded

Edited by FrostByte

schmitty

The program I use for ripping doesn't allow me to manually set the bitrate, it only gives me quality options which automatically adjust the bitrate.

schmitty

I was actually able to manually edit the bitrate. I changed to 8000 or 9000, I'll see how it goes.

chef

Schmitt, my media always transcodes to Xbox one. In the rare occasion there are couple files I have that don't, they have ac3 audio and the video bitrate is around 7900.

My server computer is only running core2duo and as long as my rips are 720p they stream nicely.

They still look good in my Xbox one.

I hope that helps.

FrostByte

I wouldn't reencode everything yet, I'm following the XB1 thread and hoping there will be an official app some day which has better support for streaming media. 

• Like 1

chef

Well that's to be expected. The more you drop the bitrate, the more transcoding will occur. If you're having an issue please make sure to see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

What did this mean? I thought the higher the bitrate was, the higher the chance the server had to transcode to meet the client requirements.

Am I backwards?...

Edited by chef

I meant the in-app bitrate setting, not the bitrate of the actual video file.

• Like 1