DTS Audio

mam693

mam693

Hi all,

I'm having an odd issue. For some reason, anything that I play that contains DTS audio will not properly transcode with 5.1 intact. If I play a file containing DTS audio, it'll only transcode to stereo despite what I have the Apple TV set up (Dolby Digital 5.1 or Best Quality Available) but the receiver says it's getting a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal. Anything containing AC3 or AAC surround sound plays perfectly fine. I've had this work before so I'm not sure what changed. I even tried swapping HDMI cables and receivers, it's also persistent between both of my Apple TVs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Matt

HLS streaming doesnt allow DTS within the container. To transcode from DTS to AC3 will cause Apple to reject the app on licensing claims from Dolby. So unfortunately, you have to wait until Apple licenses Dolby themselves on all Apple devices that exist. Then license free transcoding from DTS to AC-3/Dolby can occur.

The day Apple does this is also when magical fairy unicorns will grant everybody 5 wishes. But... I wouldnt get a wish list ready for those unicorns yet, or expect apple to care. These is big businesses getting in the way of personal freedoms. A shortcoming caused by circumstance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

mam693

Huh that's interesting. I could've sworn that it worked perfectly fine in the past, but now I'm starting to rethink that... Thanks for the help!

Huh that's interesting. I could've sworn that it worked perfectly fine in the past, but now I'm starting to rethink that... Thanks for the help!

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35138-Is-trancode-DTS-to-DD-going-to-be-available-for-the-Android-TV-app&do=findComment&comment=335280

It was working prior. In this electronic age, with threats of legal action, appstores pulling apps for various reasons, etc... you must strategize your app deployments to toe the line and nothing more.

In the race for new features, infringing things may happen. Later a developer may notice a trend of other companies backing off this type of feature. Because legally this is a grey area. So as others remove it, do you hedge your bets and keep the feature, or do you remove all aspects from each app on your platform and apologize for the mistake? Emby is doing the latter. The apology hasnt occured because obviously that implies guilt if you apologize. Since it has been removed now, no harm, no foul.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mam693

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation about what's going on and reaffirming that I'm not going (too) crazy. Have a great night!

Are you positive you are only getting stereo?

What I think should be happening is the DTS should be converted to 5.1 AAC by the server.  Then, I do believe the Apple device itself will convert that to DD and output to your receiver (if you have that option set in the device audio settings).

Can you please post a transcode log for one of these?

The server says it is converting the DTS to 5.1 AAC.

Does your receiver have lights that light up for each channel with content?  Are only the L/R ones lighting up?

mam693

The receiver does light up as showing that it's playing a 5.1 Dolby Digital stream when I'm playing a DTS movie, but sound still only comes out of the left and right speakers despite the fact that there should be something coming out of all 5 and the sub. Native Dolby Digital works fine. There hasn't been any equipment changes, DTS just stopped working. I swapped every cable possible, even swapped out receivers and Apple TVs to try to narrow it down but it didn't make any difference. 

I've tried the same MKV files with Kodi on a PC and they do play with 5.1 properly so I have a reference of what should be coming out of which speakers. 

Luke - at one point ffmpeg was actually causing all the audio to be mixed into the L/R channels when doing a conversion like this but I thought we fixed it.  Has that come back..?