Help with Music Videos collection/sorting

snowypete

snowypete

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction. I'm just in the middle of updating/cataloguing my Music Video collection with numerous separate video clips, music concerts, documentaries and general music related movies.

I've read through the wiki on file naming and a few other posts relating to the topic but can't seemed to go in a direction.

Currently I have a few folders:

Movies

Movies (music) - general music related movies

Music - filled with MP3, FLAC etc

Music Videos - Split by artist/title or artist/clips if general clips

TV - TV series/doco's etc

So all of the general music related movies are in the Movies (Music) folder (such as Spinal Tap, Still Crazy, School of rock etc) they're all named as per moviesand are set to movies in emby.

The Music Video folder (and it's set as music video on emby server) has a mixture of docos, concerts and random clips (are clips). The docos/concerts are named as per movies, the clips are chucked in a seperate folder called clips and named as per the wiki - artist-clips/artist-song name.ext.

As emby doesn't have the support yet for music videos, I'd like to find out whether I should split the clips and docos/concerts into a separate folders/categories and set clips to music video and the rest to movies.Most movies databases have the info and display correctly. With music videos you have to manually set the database number, update, generally make an image as the Db don't always have them. Which if it's a music clip, the Db won't have the info anyway, only for the doco's etc.

I'm not too sure whether I should just stick to the music video category and persevere until it's supported or go the other way and make all the docos/concerts as movies and just leave the random clips either in a music videos folder or just plonk them in the music folder with all the MP3's as some other posts have hinted at. It's not real clear which way embys going either.

Any direction would be great - thanks

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, welcome. Currently the music videos need to be in their own separate library, and we don't parse the artist, album, or track names from the videos. This means that you need to use the metadata editing functions in the server's web interface in order to specify those values so that the videos can be linked with the music library.

What we'd like to do in a future release is provide a documented way of allowing storage both inside and out of the music library so that you can put them wherever you like and link them to artists in a more automated fashion.

Does that answer your question? 

snowypete

Thanks for the reply Luke.

Yes, it pretty much answers the question.

Currently the music videos need to be in their own separate library, and we don't parse the artist, album, or track names from the videos. This means that you need to use the metadata editing functions in the server's web interface in order to specify those values so that the videos can be linked with the music library.

Yeah, started doing that just for the clips and separated the rest. I did notice when emby scrapes sometimes it picks up the artist and clip name and other times it seem to get confused even if the clips are named the same way.

What we'd like to do in a future release is provide a documented way of allowing storage both inside and out of the music library so that you can put them wherever you like and link them to artists in a more automated fashion.

I started going through the collection and splitting them out for now into

Music Videos/Artist/Clips (as Music Video)

Music Concerts/Artist/Movie (As movies)

Music TV/Show/Season/Episodes (As TV)

Music Movies (As movies)

and then scraped them again.

Then just added a few shortcuts in Kodi and seems to be working ok. Would be nice to bundle all Music related videos by artist regardless of whether its a TV show, clip, movie or concert in the name folders.

Look forward to the updates, keep up the great work

- Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jamvids

Jump on the bandwagon time (again). Is there any chance to use a naming convention to auto add the artist or just even a folder name. Using the metadata editor is very laborious for thousands of music videos. All of my music vids are "Artist - Title". Please? :)

• Like 2

pir8radio

I'm diggin' that suggestion...   The majority of my music videos are already  "Artist - Title"  it would be an instant awesome for me!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
Bingie

Not to resurrection an old thread, but I'm having a hard time getting Emby to handle my music videos.  It seems almost random.

I have a separate folder for each artist, then the music videos are named "Artist - Title".

Sometimes Emby shows a folder correctly, and going into the folder, I can see each music video.  Hurray!

Most of the time, it doesn't show a folder, but just shows the first music video, and then there is a drop-down box to select the other videos (Emby sees them as different versions of the first song?)

This is driving me crazy.  Do I need to rename them all?  Use a different separator?  The '-' is the problem?

Any suggestions to fix this would be great.

Thanks

Try removing the "Artists - " from the naming which you shouldn't need if these vids are in the artist folder.

Try it with a single artist or two before going crazy renaming everything to see if this fixes your issue!

Let us know how you make out.

Bingie

hmm I changed the '-' to a '~' tilde, and that seems to work

Now I have to go thru every folder, and rename every file :o but at least the tilde seems to work

Bingie
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Try removing the "Artists - " from the naming which you shouldn't need if these vids are in the artist folder.

Try it with a single artist or two before going crazy renaming everything to see if this fixes your issue!

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks, I want to see both the artist and title, because I usually just select shuffle from the parent folder, to randomly play them all.

The tilde seems to solved the problem.  I'll keep testing.

Thanks