Any interest in a tutorial for stats/reverse proxy?

pir8radio

pir8radio

Someone asked a while back, where I get these fancy graphs and stats when posting about my emby server.  They asked if I could make a tutorial...

I'm curious if there is any interest in some kind of tutorial?   It would be for advanced emby users who understand how to open firewall/router ports, and what that actually means/does..   ^_^

This requires a reverse proxy (nginx is what I like) to be put in front of your emby server, it's just a piece of free software that runs on the same PC as emby.  

Some advantages of a reverse proxy, you can run multiple websites/webservers all on the same IP using regular web port 80, you can grab logs and stats, you can dynamically rewrite HTML/JS/ whatever is being sent to the client.  This is handy for those of you that edit the emby core HTML files, you can do this in a reverse proxy real time with no noticeable performance loss, and the cool thing is you can let emby update as normal without having to re-edit html files. 

Here are just a very few samples of some of the reporting you can get using nginx as your front end server.  I have cut off my emby user names and IP's.

Top Emby users:

575221cfa71ce_TopUsers.png

Server Status codes:

575221fb75844_ssc.png

IP address version that users are connecting to you on:

5752227b06c10_Daily_IP_Version.png

Web client screen resolutions:

575222bf5fd83_Screen_Resolutions.png

Client Roku versions (graphs for every known browser as well):

575223052f027_Daily_Roku_Versions.png

Operating Systems used to connect to emby:

57522355042cc_Daily_Used_Operating_Syste

Referrals to my emby server (links followed):

575223b80c691_Daily_Referring_Sites.png

weekly activity:

575223f2ec87a_Activity_by_Week.png

57522713359f2_summary.png  

This list goes on for pages..  you can really learn a lot about your users, and server performance..    Again this is more for the advanced emby users, but if the interest is there I can post a relatively easy how-to.   I keep stressing ADVANCED because if you don't know how the reverse proxy works it makes troubleshooting actual emby server problems more difficult. 

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 4

Doonga

Very cool! I'm running a reverse proxy setup that's probably complete overkill. If definitely be interested in adding some of this to mine.

pir8radio

Very cool! I'm running a reverse proxy setup that's probably complete overkill. If definitely be interested in adding some of this to mine.

Well if you already have a reverse proxy in place, it is most likely logging already, you just need the log analyzer, and its free!  :lol:

https://www.weblogexpert.com/download.htm

The lite version pretty much includes all of the reporting you could want..

• 3 months later...
PenkethBoy

Are you running nginx on windows?

I would be interested in a tutorial to get things up and running so +1 from me

pir8radio

Are you running nginx on windows?

I would be interested in a tutorial to get things up and running so +1 from me

I am running a special windows build with all kinds of goodies cooked into it when they compile..   

The software I am using is:

nginx:    http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/

Weblog Expert (web server log analyzer): https://www.weblogexpert.com/

The two are setup to grab some emby specific stats like, emby users, emby server versions, emby video encode stats, Emby client types.  

Ill try to whip something up...  

• Like 1

colejack

Would love more info on this. I'm currently just monitoring the server OS itself. You can see the CPU usage spikes from my remote users.

post-9294-0-00076600-1474988387_thumb.png

Edited by colejack
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Would love more info on this. I'm currently just monitoring the server OS itself. You can see the CPU usage spikes from my remote users.

wow, those are decent spikes...  Is that trans-coding or just people looking around..  Cool, ill have to check out that software your using to monitor the PC, I am currently using PRTG..  Its neat to see how ffmpeg has started to consume less resources as they tune things...   CPU usage is way less now days!

57ea98ea06b91_chart.png

57ea98fca0acc_chart1.png

Edited by pir8radio

colejack

@@colejack 13 lans? or is that the result of bonding/trunking?

its showing all network adaptors Windows thinks it has. Loopback, old non-existent NICs from testing, etc. But mostly its all the WAN Miniport adapters.

wow, those are decent spikes...  Is that trans-coding or just people looking around..  Cool, ill have to check out that software your using to monitor the PC, I am currently using PRTG..  Its neat to see how ffmpeg has started to consume less resources as they tune things...   CPU usage is way less now days!

Those are transcodes. I let it use max cpu to transcode as quickly as it can then stop. 

I used a VM appliance that was super easy to deploy on ESXI.  http://www.librenms.org/

Edited by colejack

ecrispy

Can you give more details on how you setup your dashboard? How does the VM monitor the actual server etc?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
pir8radio

I recently switched from using PRTG (hardware monitoring), weblog expert (nginx), and various other text based logs, like emby, windows firewall, windows event logs etc.  to logging everything in one system using splunk...   Still building some dashboards, but so far it does everything I did in the multiple other log systems and more!  I can finally ingest emby logs and keep track of errors and what not!  Without needing to dig through text logs.   Since all of these logs are stored in a central database I can tie them all together and view things like how much CPU a single emby user uses, or hardware spikes based on emby server version... all kinds of cool stuff..  Just figured I would share..  check out the two attached reports, You can pretty much make an unlimited amount of reports and dashboards.

emby_logs-2019-08-14.pdf

analytics_center-2019-08-14.pdf

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1