Positioned SRT subtitles not displaying at correct position

AdrianW

AdrianW

I have a few subtitle files that contain the tag {\an8} at the beginning of some lines. This tells subtitle renderers to position that line at the top middle of the screen.

Playing  a video with subtitles containing these tags with MPC-HC (with MadVR and XySubFilter) displays the subs correctly (at the top of the screen).

Playing the same video with the same subtitles containing these tags with Emby Theatre (also with MadVR and XySubFilter) displays the subs at the bottom of the screen - which messes up the subs when multiple lines appear at the same time.

If I open the XySubFilter dialog via the green arrow icon in the tray, shows that MPC-HC and ET are both using the same version  of XySubFilter.

There's on obvious difference on the "Main" tab - the filename in the top field is the video file when playing in MPC-HC, but it is the temporary copy of the SRT file when playing in ET. I wonder if this is the cause of the issue.

You can test this by using these few lines of subs with any video file (just name the file the same as the video with an extension of ".srt"):

00:00:02,000 --> 00:00:10,000
These subs are at the bottom

00:00:03,000 --> 00:00:11,000
{\an8}These subs should appear at the top

Edited by AdrianW

AdrianW

I'm on the same version of both as well.

I thought it may be caused by the MadVR setting: " move subtitles: ...to bottom of the screen/window" - but I've unchecked that, and it made no difference.

AdrianW

I've tested this with some more files - and it works with some and not others. Seems to be file type and/or codec related.

(It always works correctly in MPC-HC though).

Edited by AdrianW

AdrianW

So, after more testing - it's not caused my file types or extensions.

It's caused by ET's strange behaviour of copying the subtitles over to the cache folder.

If I drop some SRT subs in along with various different videos and the play them in ET, the subs playback perfectly. ET isn't aware that the subs exist and so doesn't copy them over to the cache folder.

If I then perform a library scan so Emby Server knows about the subs, at playback ET copies them over to the cache folder and the subs no longer work as expected.

There's another side-effect of copying the subs to the local cache folder - any edits done to the original are not picked up until restarting the video. Not a show stopper, but can be annoying if you're trying to fix subs on-the-fly.

@@Luke - any chance of getting ET to just use the external subs from their original location instead of moving them? Or is there some other way we can fix the positioned subs issue?

AdrianW

Well, ET being aware that the subs are there and doing something different with them has something to do with it.

1. Put the subs in the folder - play with ET - positioning works.
  2. Perform a scan - play with ET - positioning doesn't work.

AdrianW

that has nothing to do with it.

OK, it's not the fact that the subs are in a different location - BUT - when the subs are copied to cache/temp - the special positioning tags are being removed!

Please change ET to leave the subs exactly as they are - don't alter them at all.

AdrianW

ET 3.4.2:

SRT tags of the form {\an8} are still being removed from the subtitles when they're copied over to the cache/temp folder.

Can this please be fixed?

• 8 months later...
AdrianW

Bump.

When recently testing external ass subs and seeing that the ass file gets copied intact to the Cache/temp folder - I decided to check external srt subs again. And for some reason the tags are still being removed.

If ET has to copy external subtitles to a local folder PLEASE don't change the content of the file. 

But, wouldn't it be better to just use the original file that exists alongside the video?

I just tested and it seems to be downloading the original srt from the server. do you have a sample for testing? thanks.

AdrianW

Sample in the first post. Just copy and paste into a new file then rename to the same name as the video with an "srt" extension.

Make sure to compete a scan before playback.

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, guilty57 said:

Which version?

Cause it doesnt work on v4.5.4.0

Hi there, what exactly are you having a problem with?

guilty57
On 16/02/2017 at 08:54, Luke said:

It's resolved for the next release of Emby Server, thanks.

I'm havig trouble with .srt files containing {/an8} on version v4.5.4.0

Latest client app on Shield TV Pro 2019.

Edited by guilty57

On 3/29/2021 at 5:15 AM, guilty57 said:

I'm havig trouble with .srt files containing {/an8} on version v4.5.4.0

Latest client app on Shield TV Pro 2019.

Hi there, can you please describe the problem that you're having? Thanks.