Emby gives invalid app message and wont connect to server from media center

davros01

davros01

Hello again gang

I just reinstalled windows 7 and set it all up again today, new latest graphics drivers and updates.

I installed Emby server and Emby for Media Center

Trouble is, when I am running Windows 7 Media center and I click on the Emby icon, it sits there and then comes back with the error message that it cant start / invalid application.

Emby server is running in the back ground. Only one user, ME and no password. All the folders are set up as movies and everything seems to work ok.

If I am online ( I use a phone and a hotspot for wireless internet) and I run media center and click the Emby logo it WORKS!

If I go offline then I try it again, after a reboot for example and I am not connected to the internet, then it wont run emby from inside media center, or from outside of it.

The server is running ok though. Any ideas?

Also I can not get my tv meta data to display anymore and its driving me mad. The movies are ok. They are set as movie folders.

I have set the two tv series folders as TV etc in the server setup. But they just display as lots of separate episodes.

I have them set like this -

Tv Series A / Game of Thrones / Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

and so on. Its using the diamond theme and it used to be fine before I wiped everything. If I set the folders up as mixed content it displays the tv series folders correctly, you click on one, and it shows the season folders correctly, but when you go into the season you want to watch you just get to see lots of lists of episodes, no thumbnails or proper descriptions, but the meta data is all there correctly as it was working before.

Anyone got any ideas?

HELP! PLEASE

davros01

Can anyone help with this?

I just formatted my pc and setup windows 7 and the media center again. All went fine, latest graphics drivers and sound drivers etc.

I installed emby server and setup the library. There is no login password or anything complex.

I installed emby for media center and that went fine as well.

I start media center and click the emby app icon and I get a long pause, then the invalid app / cant start emby message.

Emby server is running ok and set to run on startup.

IF I AM CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET via my phone wireless hotspot, Emby works and I can browse my media and play films etc without an issue.

The second I unplug from the internet emby stops working in media center.

I cant work it out. I am not trying to serve the files wirelessly to any other devices. All the files are on one pc, mine, that I installed windows 7 and media center on.

It is a media center pc with all the stuff stored on it, and I just want to browse it and play stuff from within media center via the emby app. It all worked fine before I wiped the machine.

Now with the latest updated versions on it wont work at all!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!

I have checked the firewall ports and its all open and set up for emby so that cant be blocking it. The app and server have full permissions.

Anyone know whats going on? I tried removing Emby totally, wiped everything out and started again, but the same thing happens.

This is a major fault somewhere and I cant believe this has not happened to anyone else. Should I just give up and use another program for my media center?

Cheers!

davros01

I already reported a problem on two of the forums. Its the one I quoted above!

I did that in my last post, clicked the link, how to report a problem, and it brought me in here in under the GENERAL EMBY ISSUES

Its not a playback problem, as stuff plays fine when you play it.

It just wont start the Emby "App" from media center unless I am connected to the internet!

Its just MENTAL. I have checked everything I can think of, the account has no password, all permissions enabled and no problems with the firewall.

Why would it need to get through the firewall anyway, when I am not serving media to another device over the internet?

It works when you disconnect from the internet and the wireless dongle is plugged in, but the minute you remove it, Emby wont work, either from Media Center or trying to launch it manual. The server is still running and fine.

Please can anyone help?

Edited by davros01

davros01

Here is the log file of what happens as a notepad document. I hope it helps

Take a look and see what you think!

It just did it again. I logged off the internet. Pulled out the usb wireless tplink dongle that I use.

Went into media center, clicked Emby. After a long wait you get the Invalid application message and cant start Emby, with a disable this application option in the tab.

Plug in the usb dongle, connect to internet and go into media center, click emby app and it starts and works fine.

Any help would be great as I dont want to have to go online every time I want to watch a film or some tv!

Cheers guys.

emby log.txt

In the posting that was linked to a few times above there is an explanation of what information needs to be provided in the specific instance when you get that specific error.

If you have a crash ("Invalid Application" error) in EMC/WMC, we will need the .net error from the Windows Event Log as explained here.

davros01

Ahh I see.

Right you are young fellow me lad!

I will try it now and post the log for you as soon as I get one made.

Thanks for the help.

davros01

Ok I have the log.

Just tried it again.

Invalid application error. Unable to start "emby"

Here is the event net log that you need so you can help.

Emb works perfectly as long as I am connected to the internet. I have my folders and themes set up how I want them, and all meta data displays correctly. So I am pleased about that. If I can get this problem fixed then everything will be fine.

I dont understand it, as it is a total fresh install of windows 7 with all the updates. Nothing else has been installed on the Pc other than latest graphics drivers, sound drivers and codecs to play my media.

The Emby setup was done from the latest stable build link on the web page and its not a beta version or dev version, and everything was set up as default, nothing changed. I clicked the link and let it install and told it where the media was. Thats it.

Hope you can solve this problem today as its a real pain to have to stay online when watching stuff through emby.

Cheers!

emby net event log.txt

Okay, thanks.  That gives me the information I need.

I cannot promise when it will be dealt with though so, if it works when you leave the dongle in, then I would just do that for now.

davros01

Thanks for looking.

Does this mean it will never get fixed though? Is it a major problem with Emby that has been missed or just something weird that has somehow happened on my install and I can put it right myself?

Each night that means I have to plug in the USB dongle and go online, then log off just so I can get my media center to work!

Its a bit crazy, I almost wish now I had not wiped the machine and set everything up again. I did that to iron out sound issues and lots of other problems I was having. They are all fixed, but now I have a new one that is even worse than any of the others.

Maybe its time I did something else.

Can you answer me this. IF I put windows 10 on my machine, can I use a version of Emby for that so I can record live tv like I do with win 7 media center? I know there is a pay version of Emby you have to buy, so if I got that, can I record old movies off Film4 in the Uk etc and watch live tv and keep it for a while? That is about the only reason I have stuck with win7 and media center, so If I can do that with win 10 I might be talked into upgrading the OS at  long last.

Thanks.

davros01

Has no one been able to fix this yet?

Anyone?

HELP!

This problems has still not gone away. I can not use Emby from Windows Media Center unless I have connected to the internet via my wireless USB TPLINK adaptor.

Its driving me mad. It has NEVER done this before and It did not do it before I wiped the pc. So it was working fine with an older version of Emby. But the latest version I got after the reinstall of Win7 has got this stupid problem. I can not believe no one else has had this issue?

Please see if anyone can fix it guys!

Thanks.

davros01

Hi gang.

Sick of this problem and no one has been able to help. So I am posting on here to see if anyone else has had the same problem as me.

I have a TPLINK wireless dongle that allows my pc to connect to the internet via the hotspot from my phone. Its all I use to go online these days.

Emby is set up and working fine in windows media center, the server is set up. There is one machine, my living room pc and thats it. I do not stream to any other devices and all my films are on the living room pc.

Emby will not start from inside Windows 7 Media Center when you click on the icon. It gives an invalid app message.

If I connect to the internet with my wireless dongle plugged in it works fine and starts Emby and I can watch my films.

I have submitted my log file, and gone over and over this problem but no one has been able to help and no one seems to be looking into it or at my posts.

Its a real pain in the rear to hunt out my wireless dongle and connect EVERY SINGLE DAY when I go to watch something. I can leave the dongle in place, but I still have to put the phone on charge and start the hotspot, then make sure the thing connects to the pc, just so I can watch a film!!!

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE AT ALL????????????????????????????

I cant work out what it is, what is wrong, or why it does it. It did not do this with an older version of Emby, its only since the latest version I have put on the machine, because I wiped and set up windows again for the first time in about 5 years.

Its driving me mad as I cant just go and switch on the pc and sit down to watch something in peace like I used to.

Imagine if every time you wanted to turn your tv on, you had to get your phone out and faff about for 10 minutes first.

Thats how annoying it is.

Any advice or help would be most welcome.

Cheers gang.

I already replied in your other thread.  This simply isn't something that very many people will ever encounter (as evidenced by no one else chiming in here) but, as I said, we will get to it when we can.

• 2 weeks later...

I should be able to stop the app from crashing but I'm not sure that is going to solve your real problem because the crash is occurring in a section of logic that will be executed only if we cannot find your server.  So, even if I stop the crash, you may still not be able to get to your server.

Make sure that, when you unplug your dongle, Windows isn't changing your network configuration such that it is blocking all access to your server.  Another possibility may be that, without a network interface, IP communications won't work - even against localhost.  Honestly, that's just something I've never tested and I don't have a machine that doesn't have a built in network interface to test that with.

In any case, I'll get a beta version up that should stop the crash and we can see what happens from there.

• 7 months later...
davros01

Long Time since I posted on here, I was wondering how this was going. I am asking now, because I gave up on this and have been running KODI ever since. I installed that on my win7 machine and then integrated it into media center. So I use media center to record tv and then click KODI so I can view films and tv shows that I have stored locally. It all works and without an internet connection of any sort.

All I wanted was something that looked nice so I can browse and view my film collection.

No doubt a new version will be up by now, it would just be nice to know that I could use Emby in the future if I wanted to go back to it. I have since wiped my machine again and I am using Gen 2 of Windows 7. I tried Windows 10 but hated it. The stupid interface looks nasty, all the tiles and so on, it just looks cheap and low tech an nothing is where it should be anymore. Change for the sake of change rather than a big improvement.

One day I will have to go to Windows 10, but only when I have no other option...