Bug - GENRES and NETWORKS tabs not respecting Library context

anderbytes

anderbytes

Hi. I've just noticed something odd.

Within any TV Show library, when I click "Shows" (to see the entire list), that library's list comes. OK!

BUT

Still inside the same library, if I choose the tabs GENRES or NETWORKS, it starts showing ALL shows... not only of that library.

In my scenario, I have 2 libraries: TOONS and GENERAL , for example.

Library GENERAL -> Tab SHOWS -> List of all General shows. CORRECT.

Library GENERAL -> Tab GENRES -> List of EVERY SHOW by GENRES. INCORRECT

Library GENERAL -> Tab NETWORKS -> List of EVERY SHOW by NETWORKS. INCORRECT

Library TOONS -> Tab SHOWS -> List of all Toons shows. CORRECT

Library TOONS -> Tab GENRES -> List of EVERY SHOW by GENRES. INCORRECT

Library TOONS-> Tab NETWORKS -> List of EVERY SHOW by NETWORKS. INCORRECT

Can you take a look at it?

Thanks

Expected behavior. When you click Action, it's nice to be able to see movies, trailers, tv shows that are all action. Same thing with actors. It's nice to be able to see all of their titles and not just limited to the current library.

anderbytes

Expected behavior. When you click Action, it's nice to be able to see movies, trailers, tv shows that are all action. Same thing with actors. It's nice to be able to see all of their titles and not just limited to the current library.

And what if we'd like to limit or filter it? the UI doesn't have ANY filtering options.

Koleckai Silvestri

Then you should have options to remove these actions from users based on parental controls. Even the posters for some movies may be beyond what young children should see.

Can Access Genres, Can Access People, Can Access Networks. Show Suggested Content. Yes or No.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 2

Vicpa

Hi

Put me in the camp that can't believe that this is expected behavior. Users have chosen to have separate libraries for specific reasons. parental controls etc.  If they wanted them grouped together in any category or view they would have just added them to same library.

I have to disagree there is nothing "nice" about having separate libraries being included in the views. It is just wrong and confusing. It needs to be corrected.

Just my opinion.

-respectfully

-vicpa

• Like 3

MSattler

Hi

Put me in the camp that can't believe that this is expected behavior. Users have chosen to have separate libraries for specific reasons. parental controls etc.  If they wanted them grouped together in any category or view they would have just added them to same library.

I have to disagree there is nothing "nice" about having separate libraries being included in the views. It is just wrong and confusing. It needs to be corrected.

Just my opinion.

-respectfully

-vicpa

Totally agree.  If even one inappropriate movie image is listed for my kids, it will be an instant death toll for me using Emby and would result in a switch.

well by global i mean global in what that user has access to. it should not be pulling in restricted content, and if it is, that should be fixed.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34326-genrestudio-respect-parentid/

I see I am not alone in questioning things. :)

It would be nice when clicking genres in the main TV section and choosing animation I wasn't shown my daughters anime too. I can live with it the way it is, it would just be cooler if it respected parentid. I also watch some of the anime so I dont want to hide that library from myself.

Edited by speechles

Vicpa

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34326-genrestudio-respect-parentid/

I see I am not alone in questioning things. :)

It would be nice when clicking genres in the main TV section and choosing animation I wasn't shown my daughters anime too. I can live with it the way it is, it would just be cooler if it respected parentid. I also watch some of the anime so I dont want to hide that library from myself.

It is good to question things. ;) .​    In the scenario you described I assume your daughters anime is a separate library?    ​So when logged in under her id she can't see your anime.

One of the points being missed by lumping them together is you can't see "her" library as it should appear without logging yourself out then logging in as her. The other is she can't walk in the room and say " let's watch a cartoon together" with out the log off log in dance. If it worked as it should you could just click on her library and you would be good to go.

-vicpa

It is good to question things. ;) .​ In the scenario you described I assume your daughters anime is a separate library? ​So when logged in under her id she can't see your anime.

The libraries are all generic. Every user sees them all anyways. There is Anime and TV. Both set to type TV. Neither is grouped. Now navigate to TV and choose animation genre. It shows far more than what you expect. Now its mixing anime in there too. If i wanted to watch anime with my daughter we would have entered the anime section. So now we have to sort through the cartoons we like: brickleberry, american dad, mike tyson mysteries, robot chicken, family guy, etc...being careful not to pick subtitled anime, to find similar shows both of us want to watch together.

This is when using studios/networks helps. I know alot of those shows are on Fox, TBS, or cartoon network but all the shows are there, not just animation (expect for cartoon network of course). So its a compromise.

So it makes genres less useful likely for alot of people. They just see it as a shortcoming that will never get fixed and just live with it. If it did respect parentid you could sort by genre and studio combined and get useful results because it respects parentid. It is easy to sort the payload after because it remains constrained to each library section.

Conversely I see why luke made it that way. He wanted rows to populate fully. Not everyone has hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of items. Some do though and that number grows every minute. And for those, the feature would be nice to have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

anderbytes

I just suggested that for organization reasons. I wanted to show my kid how to use interface and filtering in his favour. And more... I didn't wanted my shows view (specific library) bloated with his when I look for a specific genre or network

The problem is what I said above: NO FILTERING AT ALL. "List everything, and dig what you need from it!" - that`s how is today.

• 1 month later...
anderbytes

@@Luke, if you aren't respecting libraries separation when in the Genres and Network sections, can't you consider allow some kind of filtering when seeing Movies or Series? The bigger the libraries get.... the navigations get more tiring... :wacko:

anderbytes

I'll try to give a suggestion here that will please both DEV's opinion and we USERS that need this:

- Like "Images search screen", default the Genres and Network to a specific context (the Library, in this case), and create a checkbox where we can toggle to make it show ALL libraries globally.

This way... both cases described in this topic can be satisfied, depending only on the users's choice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
anderbytes

@@Luke, could you adopt my suggestion above in post #13 , done in July?

I really think that would satisfy every need in this context.

anderbytes

It's something to consider for the future.

Okay. I'll get back to this in later 2016

I'm also seeing a strong requirement to separate libraries with regards to "latest" and "suggestions".

The primary purpose of allowing to define multiple libraries is for separating content instead of joining it.

For joining content from different locations, a user can define multiple folders or network locations for a single library. But separate libraries mean separate content, and I can see no logical reason why the latest and suggested items should ignore that separation. That appears to be arbitrary behaviour that hardly anybody would expect.

If it's "Movies", "Kids Movies", "Anime", "Adult Movies", "Indie Movies", "Live Concerts" etc. or whatever: Any practical library configuration I could think of would require separated suggestions and latest items.

• Like 4

Thanks for liking. While Emby is doing so many things just right, this is one of the very few issues where a wrong design decision has been made - IMO at least.

I understand that a hard change might upset some users that actually want (or got used to) that behaviour.

IMO this could be solved in two different ways:

- either add an option like "suggestion pooling" to each library

- or make it dependent on the client setting "My Views" >> "Automatically group content from the following folders...". This setting already switches between separation and pooling of content with same media types

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
anderbytes

Thanks for liking. While Emby is doing so many things just right, this is one of the very few issues where a wrong design decision has been made - IMO at least.

I understand that a hard change might upset some users that actually want (or got used to) that behaviour.

IMO this could be solved in two different ways:

- either add an option like "suggestion pooling" to each library

- or make it dependent on the client setting "My Views" >> "Automatically group content from the following folders...". This setting already switches between separation and pooling of content with same media types

Do you think anything will be implemented in the future to resolve this?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess chances are low. The prevalent opinion seems to be that the current behavior is a good thing for most users.

It's one of the few things where I only want to shake my head about. It would even take no more than a single line of code to change or a few more to make it configurable.

But on the other hand: Interest in this thread has been low and there haven't been a lot of other users complaining about that behavior. So we shouldn't neglect the possibility that we are the ones actually having a minority opinion - as much as I'd hate to believe it :-)

Happy2Play

That makes no sense then, why give the user the ability to separate libraries if you can not display everything separately?

• Like 1

Happy2Play

If they are going to be a global view then they need removed for the library context and given then own space.

Happy2Play

Isn't beta behaving a little differently?

Yes for initial entry view, the display limit is only displaying content from that library, then selection "more" changes to global view.