Metadata \ Art

Wob76

Wob76

Hi,

Just a couple of questions regarding metadata and artwork.

I added a show early to my collection, it scanned that it all fine, but when it did so the show did not have a thumb on fanart TV, it has since had a thumb added but I can't seem to get emby to pull it in, I have done a refresh, and even an identify and replace all images, but still no thumb. When I do edit images and select thumb, it doesn't show any options, despite it now being shown on Fanart.tv. I have confirmed the tvdb numbers match.

Couple of questions in relation to that.

a.

How do I manually pull in the Thumb, without downloading and uploading it?

b.

Will Emby eventually pull in missing artwork automatically, like thumbs or anything else, if they become available online?

I have just done some reorganisation of my Movie collection in the hope it will help with Library Scans, I had all my movies in a single folder, I have now sorted them into year subfolders.

After emby did a big rescan it seems to have had issues with year folders that only contained a single movie, is there a setting to make Emby ignore the folder name and old search based on the file name?

Edit.

Just noticed another oddity, I have a folder "Pirates of the Caribbean" which has all of the movies, rather than see each movie, emby has created a single movie in the database "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" will all three movies listed as Video Tracks, this might link to the above, but how do I go about fixing it?

Thanks,

Wob

Edited by Wob76

Deathsquirrel

Just noticed another oddity, I have a folder "Pirates of the Caribbean" which has all of the movies, rather than see each movie, emby has created a single movie in the database "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" will all three movies listed as Video Tracks, this might link to the above, but how do I go about fixing it?

Separate those into one folder per movie, properly named.  Once they are in your library and you can see them in Emby, create a collection for them or install the autoboxset plugin to have them created automatically.

Wob76

Separate those into one folder per movie, properly named.  Once they are in your library and you can see them in Emby, create a collection for them or install the autoboxset plugin to have them created automatically.

Thanks for the reply, Is there any other way to do this, I don't create individual folders per movie, apart from above when I only have one movie for a year. A setting to have emby ignore folder names seems like it would solve two of my problems above. I don't have the same issue with say my Harry Potter or Hunger Games Movies, which are all in the same folder together.

Wob

Wob76

OK, I fixed issue # 3 by renaming the folder from "Pirates of the Caribbean" to "Pirates of the Caribbean Collection", it rescanned and detected each file as a separate movie.

Seems like Odd behaviour to me, but maybe that is just the way I organise my collection. An option to ignore Folder Names would work great for me.

Anyone able to help with questions 1. or 2.?

For #1 and #2, simply browse to the details screen of any movie, click on the image, and it will open the image editor where you can manually download images.

Then you can also individually refresh titles and it will search for missing images. Please note, by default, not all images are downloaded immediately for performance reasons. Sometimes we just save the url to the image and don't download it until an Emby app actually needs it. You can change this behavior under the server's metadata settings.

Deathsquirrel

OK, I fixed issue # 3 by renaming the folder from "Pirates of the Caribbean" to "Pirates of the Caribbean Collection", it rescanned and detected each file as a separate movie.

That sort-of works but is not the recommended way to deal with collections.  That's why I didn't suggest it.  Luke's link covers all the supported options.

Wob76

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response, that is exactly what I have been trying to do, but it didn't show me any pictures in the "Thumb" search, despite one being available on fanart.tv. I just went to do it again so I could show you a screenshot and now it is there, I had done manual Library Scans, Clean Database, Identify and refresh the show, all trying to have it pick up the thumb on fanart.tv, so maybe there is some delay between it appearing online and showing in emby. But it is there now.

Will emby at any point look to find missing Thumbs? or will it only happen if I manually keep searching?

Is there any option to have emby ignore folder names and only use filenames in Movies? For example I have a file "The Seven Year Itch (1955)" in a folder called "1955", it doesn't have any other files in the folder. When emby scanned it in the came up as something about Lee Meriwether 1955. I see from the link you posted this is really against the recommendation, I am just trying to sort them a little to help with Library Scanning Times, I originally have them all just in a big folder, except for a few collections, now I have folders for each year that I have movies. Can you recommend an approach that emby would like better? I have sorted out the oddities from my current collection, but it just means I'll have to be vigilant if I add any older movies that happen to fall into a year I don't have any movies yet.

Lastly, I have a folder, and corresponding collection for 3D Movies, in emby this originally had some auto generated artwork containing some of the posters of the movies inside it (Like the ones under My Media), now it just has a blue box with a TV with a play button in it. I can't work out how I had that happen, or if it was a plugin I have since removed, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Wob

Wob76

That sort-of works but is not the recommended way to deal with collections.  That's why I didn't suggest it.  Luke's link covers all the supported options.

Thanks, I have read through that, but can't really get it to match up with how I sort mine. For the most part my movies lived happy all in one folder, with just a few sorted into sub folders when there was more than 3 movies to a "Collection". But I had read on the forums that the Library Scans speed up heaps by having folders to separate movies, Personally I don't really see any point in having a folder with only a single movie in it, both having the same name, so I thought I would sort them into Year folders. This brakes them down into slightly smaller chunks and should hopefully help with scans, it seems to work fine, for the most part, it just doesn't like it when there is only 1 movie in a folder.

Wob76

OK, another question, it is still metadata related so I'll keep it in this thread.

I have been noticing a heap of errors in my logs when scanning, and they all seem to be from themoviedb. I'll just pick one as an example.

The Movie is Godzilla

The issue seems to be related to the imdb id changing at some point, if I edit the item it is listed as "tt1628040"

when I click the imdb link under the movie it opens and is redirected to "tt0831387"

the omdb GET in the logs points to the "tt1628040" id and this opens in a browser with the correct title

The themoviedb link returns a "The resource you requested could not be found.", if I change the link to the "new" imdb id "tt0831387" it works.

So the question is, how can one clean this up, The movie was auto scanned into my database, and it seems at somepoint the imdb id has changed, should the system not have some smarts to resolve this issue internally without the user having to monitor the logs and manually adjust?

Thanks,

Wob

Edited by Wob76

Depends. It could lead to false matches and people complaining about metadata changing randomly on them. If you already have metadata and images for that item is there really a problem? 

Wob76

Depends. It could lead to false matches and people complaining about metadata changing randomly on them. If you already have metadata and images for that item is there really a problem? 

The problem is that it is extending the Library Scans, in that particular example the movie only has a primary image, no backdrop. So I am assuming that is why the Library Scan is polling it.

Surely if the IMDB link redirects there could be a way to detect that change and have it reflected in the database, I don't see a point in having a imdb id in my database that is no longer valid?

I am really just trying to tidy my Library to see if I can reduce the Library Scan times, it's the only reason I have stumbled across some of these errors, the metadata manager, doesn't really seem to offer any way to audit for these sort of problems. Monitoring the logs and manually updating effected Movies seems a bit laborious.

Wob76

Will emby at any point look to find missing Thumbs? or will it only happen if I manually keep searching?

Lastly, I have a folder, and corresponding collection for 3D Movies, in emby this originally had some auto generated artwork containing some of the posters of the movies inside it (Like the ones under My Media), now it just has a blue box with a TV with a play button in it. I can't work out how I had that happen, or if it was a plugin I have since removed, can you point me in the right direction?

Luke,

Did you have any answers for the above two questions?

we should just update it to stop trying on every library scan. imagine the user who never notices that and is happy with the metadata and images we have. then we try and auto-correct an imdb id, match the wrong movie, and then suddenly everything is off.

We used to have an auto-update option where it would detect online updates. Unfortunately I had no choice but to remove it. People would enable it because it sounded cool, then they'd forget about it and come back later and complain about slow library scans. Maybe at some point we'll revisit, but it wore us out a bit having to explain this to users over and over again. 

For the image, try deleting it, then see an auto-generated one comes back later.

Wob76

Thanks Luke, sounds reasonable. Does that also apply to the missing Thumbs? Since the main interface is so reliant on Thumbs I try and get them where I can. My movie problem above all seems to stem from the scan looking for images, so shouldn't the Library Scan be trying to find these missing thumbs?

I did find a solution for my problem movies.

I did a little more digging on the Example above (Godzilla).

I clicked on Identify to re search, and typed in Godzilla 2014 in the Name: field.

The first two results look visually the same from the emby interface, I can't really tell from that dialog where information is coming from, but they both have the same image and Text under it.

If I select the first result, I don't see any changes, the imdb id remains the same.

If I select the second result, the imdb id is updated to the correct id "tt0831387", I am also greeted with a new "TheMovieDb" under Links that was not their before.

More interestingly if I do an Identify again and select either result, then the imdb id remains "tt0831387" and the extra link stays.

Not sure any of that helps at all, maybe some more info in that results page so you can see where the data is coming from?

Or mmaybe some way to audit imdb id's that have changed, are being redirected?

My problem wasn't huge, I had 29 movie issues in total that I have now sorted manually.

If anyone is using linux and wants to spit out the imdb of the problem movies the follow command did the trick for me.

cat /emby/logs/server-*.txt | grep "Error HttpClient" | grep /tt --colour | cut -c 107-115 | sort | uniq

that will spit out the imbd id part of the file, I then searched imbd for the id, found the movie and manually identified it in emby using the correct imdb id for the search.

yes, the first time you import content it looks for a thumb. after that it requires manual intervention.

Wob76

OK, re the thumbs, emby now appears to be doing what I expected, the show I was using as test is now showing the new thumb, I didn't update it. So I am guessing there is just a delay from when the Thumb appears on fanart.tv and when emby finally pulls it in. I just hadn't waited long enough I guess.

Wob76

yes, the first time you import content it looks for a thumb. after that it requires manual intervention.

Odd, as per my post above, my show has pulled in a thumb, and I did to manually library scans, but I didn't manually pull in the thumb.

Wob76

OK, I have managed to break the "Collections" view. I removed my 3D folder, and deleted the collection. I then readded the folder.

Now, I don't have anything showing under the "Collections" View. They are still in the metadata manager, and they are also shown in the Movies List, but not in the collection view, a Library Scan, and a update of Auto Boxsets hasn't fix it.

Any Ideas?

Oh I have recreated the 3D Collection, still no auto image :(

Edited by Wob76

OK, I have managed to break the "Collections" view. I removed my 3D folder, and deleted the collection. I then readded the folder.

Now, I don't have anything showing under the "Collections" View.

Sounds like expected behavior unless I'm missing something.

Wob76

Luke,

I didn't explain that very well, ALL my collections have gone, they are showing in metadata and under the Movies list, but not under the collection view.

Also still no luck getting automatic image for the 3D Collection.

Wob

Wob76

I have given up on the subfolders by year and moved everything back into my root, apart from a few collections.

This resulted in a rescan into the Library, I thought this might just result in filename changes, but it appears it does a full metadata refresh.

Anyway, the following movies did a refresh, and pulled in the wrong imdb IDs, so we have new pulls that are getting old ID's, doesn't seem right to me.

Movie - Pulled in IMDB ID - Current IMDB ID

Blackhat - tt2855042 - tt2717822
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - tt0290538 - tt0290538
Godzilla - tt1628040 - tt1628040

Wob
Edited by Wob76

Wob76

OK, further investigation and I have found that those incorrect imdb id's are being pulled from ombd. So I guess it is probably down to them updating their data, or doing some sort of check to make sure the imdb id hasn't changed.

Wob76

Hi dcook,

If you read the complete post you will see I did state I don't like the idea of a folder containing a single file, it seems like a pointless exercise having a single file in a folder. I have resorted back to hosting all my files in a single folder (also supported as per the link). I have since read the link, Luke posted in earlier in this thread.

Wob