19 replies to this topic

#1 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

I separate movies into multiple libraries, like "Movies", "Kid's Movies", "Adult".

The problem is now that the "Suggestions" pages (which is default for each library) always display items from other libraries in sections like "Because you watched" or "Because you like".

Looking at the titles of my libraries, it's quite obvious that contents of separate libraries must not be mixed in any way..!

Is that something that can be configured or is it rather an issue that has to be taken care of?

#2 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:17 PM

I dont think it respects parent ID. It rather wants you to see all to make suggestions for those who may not have that much media. Genres and Studios work the same way. You can work around it and reduce the array yourself...

..or...

What you can do is show both Movie and TV suggestions on the same screen based on the same item ID. You can get movie suggestions based on a tv series ID and vice versa. In this way it looks like it is supposed to be mixing it all together. Then it doesn't look so out of place and suggests more for the user to branch into. Thats what I did when I added this to the blueneon roku app.

Edited by speechles, 28 May 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#3 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

What you can do is show both Movie and TV suggestions on the same screen based on the same item ID

It seems you missed my point: I don't want to see Kid's Movies in my Movie library and I don't want regular movies to show up in the Kid's section.

#4 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:45 PM

It seems you missed my point: I don't want to see Kid's Movies in my Movie library and I don't want regular movies to show up in the Kid's section.

I get your point entirely. I ran into the same issue. I dont want to see all my daughters anime mixed in. I was just mention how I solved it. I do see the problem of this feature and children potentially, but it should respect their rating. So wont show R rated if the user is set to only PG and would not show them unrated content. But it does mix libraries which causes confusion, but that is supposed to be a feature actually...

In the response payload, the items don't contain a parent ID either. So this is why it isn't restrict them to parent ID. I came across this after I get the suggested response. I try to sort by parent ID and there is no parent ID returned for any item. So even if you could do it yourself afterwards with a foreach and such, you can't, no need to try. So this will have to be solved by luke. When it does get solved I would love if luke made genres, studios, and both tv and movies suggested/similar/becauseyou all respect the parent id within the server.

Edited by speechles, 29 May 2016 - 12:11 AM.

#5 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

https://github.com/M.../Emby/pull/1789

#6 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47455 posts
  • Local time: 09:51 AM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

I solve this by simply not having "Kids Movies" accessible from my profile.

#7 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Sure, that works, but switching users all the time - especially in WMC-Emby is too painful.

But it's not just about libraries for different users: Isn't that the point of having separate libraries, that we can separate content?

I wouldn't want to have suggestions for anime or adult movies when I'm browsing the regular movie library and vice-versa.

And last: What's the logic behind restricting "Resume" and "Latest Movies" to the current library but mixing all content in the suggestion sections? That doesn't seem consistent..

#8 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47455 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

Sure, that works, but switching users all the time - especially in WMC-Emby is too painful.

An aside, but how is this painful?  There is a switch user function...

And last: What's the logic behind restricting "Resume" and "Latest Movies" to the current library but mixing all content in the suggestion sections? That doesn't seem consistent..

The thinking is that suggestions is a much more restrictive list. So, in order to have some relevant ones, you need a broader scope.

#9 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

An aside, but how is this painful?  There is a switch user function...

I didn't want to say that the user switching feature is implemented in a painful way.

I just don't want to do it. That's why I have separate libraries.

So, in order to have some relevant ones, you need a broader scope.

But the opposite is true: You will get less relevant suggestions.

I mean the purpose behing creating multiple libraries to separate content.

If I just wanted to combine content from multiple storage locations, then I could use a single library with multiple folders...

#10 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47455 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

But the opposite is true: You will get less relevant suggestions.

That depends on each individual person's setup.  For one set of people it will be true and others it won't.

So, an argument can be made both ways.

And, before you say "so make it an option", well, you know... ;)

#11 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

That depends on each individual person's setup.  For one set of people it will be true and others it won't.

So, an argument can be made both ways.

And, before you say "so make it an option", well, you know... ;)

I know, but this is a typical case where an option would really be useful...

I mean, in this case, it is not just about personal taste - as described it can be a serious problem when items from other libraries suddenly show up where they absolutely shouldn't...

Or at least a way to turn off suggestions at all. They don't provide much value to me (probably my library is too small).

#12 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16067 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

I know, but this is a typical case where an option would really be useful...

I mean, in this case, it is not just about personal taste - as described it can be a serious problem when items from other libraries suddenly show up where they absolutely shouldn't...

Or at least a way to turn off suggestions at all. They don't provide much value to me (probably my library is too small).

I hide/remove them via css in the web client.

#13 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

I hide/remove them via css in the web client.

And I already patched the script file to restrict suggestions to the current library...

I'm posting here to discuss issues with feedback from the community...

Just fixing things to match my personal preferences would be trivial.

#14 epayson85 OFFLINE  

epayson85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

How about that TV Movies are now showing up in suggestions?  Its kind of a cool feature...So you can see movies you don't have in your library. Except that it repeats its self constantly especially if you have cable with both SD and HD channels.  If I have the movie it shouldn't show it... and it shouldn't show it multiple times.  Is there anyway to turn this feature off besides turning off "download meta data for tv movies" I like getting that meta data for movies on my tv guide but I will have to turn it off if this is the result I am going to be getting.

5750702d6b931_dudewheresmycar.png

• Olywa123 likes this

#15 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:23 PM

How about that TV Movies are now showing up in suggestions?  Its kind of a cool feature...So you can see movies you don't have in your library. Except that it repeats its self constantly especially if you have cable with both SD and HD channels.  If I have the movie it shouldn't show it... and it shouldn't show it multiple times.  Is there anyway to turn this feature off besides turning off "download meta data for tv movies" I like getting that meta data for movies on my tv guide but I will have to turn it off if this is the result I am going to be getting.

Sounds like +1 for making it configurable :)

#16 Vicpa OFFLINE  

Vicpa

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, Pa. USA

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hi @softworkz

Call me silly but I thought we already have that option right there on the Home Page settings ;)

5751c89d345f3_sugg1.png

5751c8bcc89ea_sugg2.png

Perhaps the text is wrong? (LOL) Although I am not sure how it could be worded for mere mortals to understand. ...... Don't group, but don't worry we are still going to show you suggestions from all libraries regardless of where you are..

Being serious, trying anyway. I understand we are doing this because people initially have smaller libraries and if they were not all grouped together, visually the ui would look bad if it only showed limited or no suggestions?

Can this be right.......... Please!!!! correct me if I am wrong...

-vicpa

Just make the grouping options true by default and be done with. I can go in and change them to the way I want.

#17 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

@Vicpa So if I change the air pressure in my car tires will that help suggestions respect parentid?

This is how grouping items fixes this issue. It fixes the issue as much as my changing air pressure in my car tires does. Which is, it doesnt fix a thing.

@Vicpa thanks for the suggestion (get it, cuz of the topic..lol) but that wont solve anything. In fact it makes it even worse.

Same with "similar" it doesnt do parent id respecting either. It doesnt have parents. Similar is another spoiled child, same way suggested is. The kids today...lol..no respect for their parents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles, 03 June 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#18 Vicpa OFFLINE  

Vicpa

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, Pa. USA

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi @speechles

Sorry speechles was a lame attempt at humor and was trying not to be to sarcastic or obnoxious  :)​.    Guess you read it quickly, You make my point more eloquently. Having the grouping setting at all, is like changing the tire pressure. It is useless if content is grouped for somethings and not others regardless of the setting and in effect users preference. (in your technical parlance ...  suggestions not  respecting parentid violates the grouping option , is ambiguous and flat out wrong...

As I mentioned in another post it needs to be corrected asap.

-vicp

#19 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5596 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hi @speechles

Sorry speechles was a lame attempt at humor and was trying not to be to sarcastic or obnoxious :)​. Guess you read it quickly, You make my point more eloquently. Having the grouping setting at all, is like changing the tire pressure. It is useless if content is grouped for somethings and not others regardless of the setting and in effect users preference. (in your technical parlance ... suggestions not respecting parentid violates the grouping option , is ambiguous and flat out wrong...

As I mentioned in another post it needs to be corrected asap.

-vicp

Ep6LXpN.jpg

Here is a better illustration. Much better at conveying sarcastic laughter. :)

Note: genres and studios need respect for their parent id too... too many spoiled child endpoints showing no respect...lol

Edited by speechles, 03 June 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• Vicpa likes this

#20 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1852 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

While @Vicpa was wrong with his statement, the mentioned option is still something to think about in this context:

If a user does NOT want to separate content, he could choose this option anyway.

But if he WANTS separation he would not check this option and expect library content to be separated (even for suggestions)...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestions, library

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users