Additional Features for Collections

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

I've been playing around in collections quiet a bit and I have a number of feature suggestions I'd like to make:

Option to hide from library if in a collection:

I think there needs to be both a global and per item option to allow you to consolidate collections.

I know personally, I'd love to have the option to always show all movies under all movies, but I'd also like the option to consolidate everything in a collection from the full list when desired. 

Better options for Collections consisting of TV series

There's a real problem I think is facing the community with TV programs that are part of collections and I feel better support from Emby would be really helpful.

Basically, every organization that deals with collections only deals with them in terms of sequels to a movie. However, it is becoming more and more common practice for different series to take place within the same continuity.

Some good examples of this:

- Star Trek Universe

- Star Wars Universe

- Marvel Cinematic Universe

- DC Animated Universe

- Marvel Animated Universe

There's no way to create a collection on places like TheMovieDB.org that isn't sequals, and frusteratingly some things that aren'tr sequals are allows together while things like the aforementioned aren't.

Inside of Emby, I'm seeking to be able to treat collections of series taking place in the same continuity together but also looking for a better ways to manage this process with a standardized convention. 

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is currently the best example of a Universe that consists of Series and Movies. 

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

Mixed Movie and TV collections are already possible.  Doesn't look like TV collections currently work though.  They show up in the movies under collections.

Deathsquirrel

Right the reason it is not automatic is because there is no reliable source of data

At least for me it just plain doesn't work.  You can create a collection of TV shows but there is no UI support for it.  The collection shows under movies.

There are two ways to display collections, and they're covered in our Collections wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections

And yes, the features of Collections are slightly stacked in favor of movies, which is really just a reflection of how most people use them. I am not sure we are going to want to carve out UI space for Collections under TV, so you'll probably need to use the global Collections view for that.

dcook

Luke, while on the topic of Collections, can you give an eta on when you will have the dynamic image fixed for the collections?  

It has been reported as broken for quite some time now.

There are two ways to display collections, and they're covered in our Collections wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections

And yes, the features of Collections are slightly stacked in favor of movies, which is really just a reflection of how most people use them. I am not sure we are going to want to carve out UI space for Collections under TV, so you'll probably need to use the global Collections view for that.

Deathsquirrel

It might be nice if the existing option to group movies into collections worked for TV too.  If a collection only contains movies or TV show the grouped content in that view.  If it contains both show it under both.

I've never seen the value of the dedicated collections view.  When I know what I want to watch I have search.  When I'm browsing I might say 'show me a comedy' but never 'show me films with sequels' ;)

Luke, while on the topic of Collections, can you give an eta on when you will have the dynamic image fixed for the collections?  

It has been reported as broken for quite some time now.

It is not "broken".  It simply isn't supported at this time.

dcook

It is broken, as it used to work fine and now it is not.

Something does not simply "work fine" and then be "not supported" especially since all the other library folders continue to work fine

Instead of fixing it, you just remove it not realizing that that causes other issues.  Why don't you just fix it so it works the same as the other libraries?

It is not "broken".  It simply isn't supported at this time.

Vidman

It is broken, as it used to work fine and now it is not.

Something does not simply "work fine" and then be "not supported" especially since all the other library folders continue to work fine

Instead of fixing it, you just remove it not realizing that that causes other issues. Why don't you just fix it so it works the same as the other libraries?

You need to stop this crusade, when the developers say it is not supported at this time it means it is not supported at this time

dcook

Its not a crusade, and as I said, it was working perfectly fine all along, instead of fixing they delete, and not just me have reported the issue over months, and still not has been fixed.

I paid for Premiere, and now my EMBY is less useful then it was months ago because of this.

If they need more time to fix this issue, then someone should say so?  

Give us a ETA on when it will be fixed?

My point is, that obviously it took developers time to intentionally "break" collections (and then start saying its not supported at this time) even though it was previously working fine, why not just fix the issue right away instead of breaking it and then having to spend time later fixing it again.

Right now EMBY looks like S--T because all the libraries have dynamic image slices working beautifully except for Collections.

Or maybe developers don't care how EMBY looks, only that they getting money from premiere

You need to stop this crusade, when the developers say it is not supported at this time it means it is not supported at this time

Vidman

Its not a crusade, and as I said, it was working perfectly fine all along, instead of fixing they delete, and not just me have reported the issue over months, and still not has been fixed.

I paid for Premiere, and now my EMBY is less useful then it was months ago because of this.

My point is, that obviously it took developers time to intentionally "break" collections (and then start saying its not supported at this time) even though it was previously working fine, why not just fix the issue right away instead of breaking it and then having to spend time later fixing it again.

Right now EMBY looks like S--T because all the libraries have dynamic image slices working beautifully except for Collections.

Or maybe developers don't care how EMBY looks, only that they getting money from premiere

Sounds like a crusade

Deathsquirrel

Good lord, they disabled the function.  They've said so and said why.  If you want a collections image using that format MAKE one.  If you don't have the necessary software and skills ask for help on the fanart forum.  Hijacking an unrelated feature request thread isn't appropriate.

Lighthammer

Good lord, they disabled the function.  They've said so and said why.  If you want a collections image using that format MAKE one.  If you don't have the necessary software and skills ask for help on the fanart forum.  Hijacking an unrelated feature request thread isn't appropriate.

Yea, I'm not terribly happy the thread got hijacked =(.

To get back to the point:

I'd like to propose making a community database towards the ends of shared canonical series.

I honestly don't foresee this being a huge database, but if the Emby Group could setup a small MySQL database on their server that simply listed out series ID, and related Series IMDB numbers, it would be very easy to accomplish this.

It would be just as easy to add a tab for TV Collections under the TV folder.

I'd suggest this simply as an addon, but it would be great to see it as a main feature too.

As for other features:

I'd like a simple checkbox to enable "Show Collections" or "Don't Show Collections"; the later, would show each movie individually. This would be great to stick under Movies.

Meh, maybe I'll do a mockup for UI changes I'd suggested at some point if there's interest.

The on fear I have about doing mockups for this community is I'd really like to have some partnership before I start lending my professional talents there. 

Koleckai Silvestri

I just turned off the Collection "Library". If it really bothered me, I'd make a fake library with a bunch of movies from my images. Let Emby create a dynamic image and then assign it to the Collections Library. I believe there is also Photoshop Droplets in the fanart section to create these for different libraries. While I am all for having the functionality returned, there are much more important and pressing issues in my opinion. Especially since the main developer of the server is also maintaining four clients. Maybe if Emby were a large team then yeah but it is mainly Luke and EBR and a few people helping out here and there.

Koleckai Silvestri

Yea, I'm not terribly happy the thread got hijacked =(.

To get back to the point:

I'd like to propose making a community database towards the ends of shared canonical series.

I honestly don't foresee this being a huge database, but if the Emby Group could setup a small MySQL database on their server that simply listed out series ID, and related Series IMDB numbers, it would be very easy to accomplish this.

It would be just as easy to add a tab for TV Collections under the TV folder.

I'd suggest this simply as an addon, but it would be great to see it as a main feature too.

As for other features:

I'd like a simple checkbox to enable "Show Collections" or "Don't Show Collections"; the later, would show each movie individually. This would be great to stick under Movies.

Meh, maybe I'll do a mockup for UI changes I'd suggested at some point if there's interest.

The on fear I have about doing mockups for this community is I'd really like to have some partnership before I start lending my professional talents there. 

You have some good suggestions. I would like Collections to appear under Televisions as well. The Stargate, Star Trek, Star Wars Animated, Law & Order and several others come to mind where collections would fit but they aren't really movies. That is where they show up now.

Lighthammer

You have some good suggestions. I would like Collections to appear under Televisions as well. The Stargate, Star Trek, Star Wars Animated, Law & Order and several others come to mind where collections would fit but they aren't really movies. That is where they show up now.

Thanks.

I feel as though this project is small enough that we don't need to rely on a big database site. Hell, I could host it on my AWS or CPannel server if it really came to it; and really, it could probably just be a CSV that exists someplace that Emby knows to go reference.

I can't imagine we'd really have more then 100 series to deal with.

What I currently have on my collections is (in ABC order(:

- DC Animated Universe

- DC TV universe (aka Flarrow Universe)

- DC's Super Friends 

- Flintstones Animation Collection

- G.I. Joe Animated Collection

- Johnny Quest Collection

- Marvel Animated Universe (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron-Man, Silver Surfer, Hulk, Avengers from the 90s).

- Super Mario Brothers Collection

- Star Trek Collection

- Star Wars Animation Collection

- Transformers Animation Collection

So that's 12 right there and I can't imagine the liste getting terribly bigger.

Where it also gets weird, though, is when you have TV series that have movies that take place inside that continuity. DCAU with the 90s and early 2000s Batman movies is a PRIME example of this. Star Trek and Star Wars are other really good examples.

Collections don't group these together.

There's also more tenuous collections that the TheMovieDB insists on grouping together which have ZERO continuity relationship.

Some examples of this are:

- Justice League Animation Collection

- Superman / Batman Animation Collection

- TMNT Animation Collection

Each movie grouped in these collections has no continuity with the other movies, except in the case of Justice League, where the last couple are in continuity together.

It would be really nice if the collection system was expanded to have the following options:

- Group Shared Universes

- Group with similar universes (IE all Justice League media)

- Allow Movies and Series to be grouped together

- Allow Collections within Collections

- Only add Movies / Series into the biggest collection it's part of

- Allow smaller collections that are part of bigger collections to be displayed separately

I think this covers all the logic gates needed to accomplish this setup.

And, again, a really small community database should be all that's needed to accomplish this.

Edited by Lighthammer

i think the best way to get this started is to suggest to Moviedb and fanart to start carrying images for them. Kode runs fanart.tv and is a member of this forum, they even had a survey recently asking for feedback on future features. You could try sending him a PM, and/or starting topics over on those sites. If you give them some nice sample images to play with, that might help drum up some interest. I think presenting it as crossover collections that hold both tv and movies will have more appeal then just movies. Like if you design a Marvel image that is sure to appeal to a few people. If they start carrying the images then that will increase community awareness about the idea which will then trickle down to the apps that display those items (such as us).

Lighthammer

When I'm home, I can dump some images in this thread I use, but I'd certainly be willing to make some custom images with a bit broader appeal.

Koleckai Silvestri

It would be nice if we could point a collection to a list on TMDB as the reference. Then a new site and information isn't needed to parse the information. We can create and share lists to be used.

It would be nice if we could point a collection to a list on TMDB as the reference. Then a new site and information isn't needed to parse the information. We can create and share lists to be used.

Are you suggesting having the ability to create a collection based on a tmdb list?

Koleckai Silvestri

Are you suggesting having the ability to create a collection based on a tmdb list?

Yes. Something that I have wanted for a couple of years.

• Like 1

Yes. Something that I have wanted for a couple of years.

I think that is an excellent idea, both for collections and playlists.

• Like 1

Lighthammer

I thought that point was brought up some time in the past and there was a reason the idea was rejected.

The only problem with lists is they tend to be more like curated over having community interaction to build it. Curated lists also has the problem of going dead if the person running the list decides to stop updating the list.

That being said, I think this is certainly a really strong way to get more people interacting on TMDB to help update information and I think, inherently, there's no problem with curated lists as it's another degree of customization.

---

An unrelated question to using lists, is it possible to setup the system to allow us to see missing movies on Emby like we have for episodes? 

Lighthammer

Ok, I lagged a bit in, but as promised, here's a few covers I'm using and what for:

574e3373ce3ec_80sAnimation.png

The 80's Animation Collection

This is generally syndicated series that were popular in the 80s. A lot of people usually love seeing this in my collection because so many of these series are hard to find great quality rips of.

• G.I. Joe
  • Transformers
  • M.A.S.K.
  • Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
  • Centurions
  • Filmation's Ghostbusters
  • The Real Ghostbusters
  • Sky Commanders
  • Duck Tales
  • Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters
  • C.O.P.S.
  • Captain N: The Game Master

574e33f8b6fa7_AnimationDomination.png

Animation Domination

This is named after Fox's block. I GENERALLY only have shows that ran on fox that did or might have a home here, but shows that were really in that theme from other networks found its way into this collection. If I expanded the collection further, I might be inclined to remove something like South Park, but for ease of persons finding things they like, its there in the here and now.

• Simpsons
  • The Critic
  • The Tick
  • South Park
  • The PJs
  • Family Guy
  • Futurama
  • God, the Devil and Bob
  • American Dad
  • Bordertown

574e355886f42_DC.png

DC Animation Universe

This collection is of all the DC Animated Universe helmed by Bruce Timm in the 90s/2000s

• Batman Mask of the Phantasm
  • Batman: Sub Zero
  • Return of the Joker
  • Mystery of the Batwoman
  • Batman The Animated Series
  • Superman The Animated Series
  • The New Batman Adventures
  • Batman Beyond
  • Static Shock
  • The Zeta Project
  • Justice League
  • Justice League Unlimited

574e389ab763a_DCComics.png

DC Pilots

This is for those pesky series that you may want to have as keepsakes, but never made it past the pilot stage.

• Justice League of America (I'm sorry if you've seen this)
  • Aquaman
  • Wonder Woman (2011)

574e39cf9d625_DCShowcase.png

DC Showcase

This is for the DC Show Case Collection DC from 2010 and a few newer ones that have come out along the way. A lot of these served as pseudo test pilots.

• The Spectre
  • Jonah Hex
  • Green Arrow
  • The Return of Shazam
  • Catwoman

574e3bb2c85ba_arrowwbsdcc.jpg

DC TV Universe

This collection covers GENERALLY, the series within the "Flarrow" universe, but it also extends into the other series in the period that go out of their way to not contradict potential continuity, such as Gotham.

• The Flash (1992) (TPTB kind of are nodding to this series a lot)
  • Smallville (2001) (there is a planned crossover for next season)
  • Birds of Prey (TPTB acknowledged they might play with this in the multiverse)
  • Arrow
  • Gotham (goes out of its way to not contradict the Flarrow universe though its not officially part of it)
  • The Flash (2014)
  • Constantine
  • iZombie (same as Gotham)
  • Supergirl
  • Legends of Tomorrow
  • Lucifer (same as Gotham)

574e3b3797875_SuperFriends.png

DC's Super Friends

This collection covers all the DC series in the Super Friends period

• Super Friends (1973–1974)
  • The All-New Super Friends Hour (1977–1978)[2]
  • Challenge of the Super Friends (1978–1979)[3]
  • The World's Greatest Super Friends (1979–1980)
  • Super Friends (1980–1983)
  • Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984–1985)
  • The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians (1985–1986)
574e3cf5b184c_DrSeuss.png

Dr. Seuss Collection
This collection is largely anything that has been produced around Dr. Seuss
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
  • Halloween is Grinch Night
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
  • Horton Hears a Who
  • The Lorax
  • The Cat in the Hat Knows a lot about Christmas!

This is all the sorts of collections I have on Page 1 of my collections. It probably gives a decent snap shot. 

• Like 2