HDHomeRun guide data

eddykim3

eddykim3

The HDHomeRun will provide 4 hours of guide data for free. Any chance that can be implemented in Emby?

HDHomeRun DVR subscribers get access to 14 days. 

mvanzante

I did a little research around this. I know SiliconDust says that their guide data license agreement may prevent them from making the data available externally. In my opinion that makes their service not very competitive with the Emby LiveTV (free) paired with Schedule Direct ($25/year).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

denz

I wouldn't mind paying them I currently am dvr subscriber of theirs as I thought their software will replace wmc but found out no grid guide so I don't bother trying it any more. As they have a guide with thumbnails that works perfectly with kodi on pi.

Hopefully someone with programming knowledge can look how they did it in Kodi and implement it in emby. I use icetv for wmc data and asked them to consider emby but they won't so if silicondust will provide the service I would cancel icetv.

The HDHomeRun will provide 4 hours of guide data for free. Any chance that can be implemented in Emby?

HDHomeRun DVR subscribers get access to 14 days. 

It is only for "free" using their program.  They are still paying for it but they are giving it to you for free (kinda like Emby without Premiere ;)).

Us hacking their system to pull it out would basically be stealing.

denz

It is only for "free" using their program.  They are still paying for it but they are giving it to you for free (kinda like Emby without Premiere ;)).

Us hacking their system to pull it out would basically be stealing.

Are you sure of that why have they released their API and Kodi is using it and they have an app for kodi if kodi was doing something wrong i would think they would pull that app from kodi. It would be best to ask I will post on their forum and see if Nick replies so we have a firm answer.

Their plugin for kodi is their code that they control. They may have had to negotiate allowing that with their data provider and adding additional ones may cost them money

jasonmcroy

Their guide data aside, I kind of like their "Discover" layout for shows/sports/movies. I just wish they would arrange it so it included every channel in the order it would be in a grid guide. Playstation Vue has a similar layout with all channels listed with the current show and it's metadata image. I know a lot of people are upset they don't have a grid style guide but I am getting to like the image tiled type guide. 

jasonmcroy

It is similar if you are just talking "Discover" for maybe top shows or what's on right now. I think the presentation looks nice is one thing I was pointing out. The other point I was bringing up is having the entire epg guide be just the tiled images for each channel for a given time slot. They don't have the entire channel lineup showing for each time slot either (Playstation Vue does in addition to a standard grid style as well). 

Here are the visual comaparison between Emby and SD's version:

EMBY:

post-106-0-62065300-1464312737_thumb.jpg

HDHomerun:

post-106-0-47162700-1464312762_thumb.jpg

jasonmcroy

That being said, I think Emby's layout for upcoming Movies looks nicer with the posters vs. how SD does it.

denz

The only thing that I like about silicondust DVR is that it has a lighter theme that has a splash of colour and that is it unfortunately. Looking at the two screenshots that jasonmcroy posted the silicondust dvr is much easier on the eye than emby.  

Emby apps are just too dark for my liking but eventually I hope that will change it is more important that we get features. 

Edited by denz
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

The only thing that I like about silicondust DVR is that it has a lighter theme that has a splash of colour and that is it unfortunately. Looking at the two screenshots that jasonmcroy posted the silicondust dvr is much easier on the eye than emby.  

Emby apps are just too dark for my liking but eventually I hope that will change it is more important that we get features. 

Agreed. I think that is one difference is the visual presentation. Emby has come a long way from the beginning and Luke definitely listens to his users. That is one reason I brought it up and gave some images because it gives Luke something to see and think with going forward. 

denz

I have posted a question on their forum and a member has given me link to their terms an conditions from what it says you must have written permission and use their dvr so in essence you have to write a plugin like we have for serverwmc and nextpvr that is why kodi is able to use their guide and guide images. I encourage @@Luke if he has raspberry pi to try libreelec with hdhomerun pvr and see how fast can it tune channels I am blown away how come such a small device can tune quickly. So the best option is then to wait for xmltv import so we can use icetv guide data.

Guide data and images:

Guide data and/or images may not be used outside of Silicondust software without written agreement.

Please contact info@silicondust.com if you would like to write a client app that works with the HDHomeRun DVR system and makes use of Silicondust guide data and/or images.

Images must not be archived or stored. Images may be cached following the cache duration and rules in the HTTP header.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Little off topic. Is here an alternative to HDHR which has a free tv guide? Just looking for an OTA antenna signal for about 15 channels here in Toronto, Canada.