Live/Recorded TV Feedback from recent convert

mvanzante

Guest asrequested

I would love to have option #3, making sure it would only apply to shows the server specifically records, and not shows I download and add to the library. It would be disastrous for any of those to be deleted.  

mvanzante

So here's another find related to #4, this is again, with my local PBS station!

Apparently the same episode of Curious George is broadcast twice each day. Obviously it would be nice if Emby didn't record the repeated episode (as previously mentioned), but it seems like I should be able to go into a series and cancel any of the individual scheduled recordings using the 3-dots button. Right now clicking that button on an item in the series recordings page doesn't do anything. 

5749ec45933f7_DuplicateRecordings.png

To get around this issue I had to uncheck the "Record at Any Time" box and schedule the 8:30am time slot and 2:00pm time slot as separate series (the 2:30pm time slot is the re-broadcast of the 8:30am episode).

5749ed8d8137a_TwoSeries.jpg

Edited by mvanzante

Guest asrequested

I should be able to go into a series and cancel any of the individual scheduled recordings using the 3-dots button. 

You should be able to do that.

5749f028e2bda_Snapshot_92.jpg

mvanzante

You should be able to do that.

I can do it on the "Recordings" _tab_ but not if I go to the "Series" _tab_, select a series, and then go to the "Recordings" _sub-tab_ of the series. They should work the same. Minor bug.

Edited by mvanzante
  • Like 1

mvanzante

Speaking of the "Recordings" tab. The view that displays after clicking 3-dots and then "Edit" button should also have a handle to the Series settings if a Series Recording was used to create the individual recording.

Edited by mvanzante
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I can do it on the "Recordings" _tab_ but not if I go to the "Series" _tab_, select a series, and then go to the "Recordings" _sub-tab_ of the series. They should work the same. Minor bug.

I think that would be redundant, being able to cancel a recording in two adjacent tabs.

Speaking of the "Recordings" tab. The view that displays after clicking 3-dots and then "Edit" button should also have a handle to the Series settings if a Series Recording was used to create the individual recording.

This option would be appreciated. Consolidation of functionality would be good  :)

mvanzante

I think that would be redundant, being able to cancel a recording in two adjacent tabs.

I see the "Recordings" sub-tab (of the "Series" tab) as just a series-specific filter of the future recordings on the "Recordings" tab. The tiles in each view show the same content.

Guest asrequested

I see the "Recordings" sub-tab (of the "Series" tab) as just a series-specific filter of the future recordings on the "Recordings" tab. The tiles in each view show the same content.

Weren't you talking about cancelling a single recording? That already exists in an easy way to use. I'm saying why muddy the waters by adding it somewhere else?

I should be able to go into a series and cancel any of the individual scheduled recordings using the 3-dots button. Right now clicking that button on an item in the series recordings page doesn't do anything. 

Edited by Doofus

mvanzante

Weren't you talking about cancelling a single recording? That already exists in an easy way to use. I'm saying why muddy the waters by adding it somewhere else?

Let me approach this from another angle - what purpose does the "Recordings" sub-tab under "Series" serve in your view, then?

UI functionality isn't about only having one way to do something. It's about having a sensible way to access functionality in the right places.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

It's going to ultimately be in the 3-dot menu, not the edit popup. so the menu will be expanded to be Edit Recording, Edit Series, etc.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

UI functionality isn't about only having one way to do something. It's about having a sensible way to access functionality in the right places.

I disagree. Convolution is counter productive. Consider how tv providers do it, very simply.

It's going to ultimately be in the 3-dot menu, not the edit popup. so the menu will be expanded to be Edit Recording, Edit Series, etc.

Perfect.

Let me approach this from another angle - what purpose does the "Recordings" sub-tab under "Series" serve in your view, then?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

In WMC when you view a series you have the ability to see the upcoming schedule for that individual series. So I put it there because I assumed that was important.

mvanzante

In WMC when you view a series you have the ability to see the upcoming schedule for that individual series. So I put it there because I assumed that was important.

I don't disagree with the Series tab and "Recordings" sub-tab. I like the way WMC does it. 

But WMC also provides a way to cancel an individual episode recording from the Series Recordings view. The following screenshots are sequential...

5749fda07773f_SeriesInfo.jpg

5749fdafaaa59_SeriesRecordingInfo.jpg

but so do we, it's just not working at the moment like you've pointed out.

• Like 1

mvanzante

My apologies, @@Luke. @ and I seemed to be disagreeing about whether the "Cancel recording" should be available from the Series/Recordings view. 

Edited by mvanzante

mediacowboy

@@mvanzante, can you post a screen shot of where recording is located in Windows Media Center. Like is it grouped with live TV or it's own menu item.

mvanzante

I'll post a few since I'm not exactly sure what you mean. 

First, here's the "Main" screen. Recorded TV takes you into the list of the recorded shows currently on your system. Guide will show you the guide (obviously). And live tv takes you directly to a channel, though I don't know how it chooses which one.

574a3fbad8c66_MCE_Home.jpg

If you go to Recorded TV, this screen will show up (though I've pressed "Up" to go to the "Add Recording" option). This screen shows you a list of all the shows for which you have recordings (not scheduled or previously on the system but now deleted). 

574a40631b348_WMC_RecordedTV.jpg

And here's the top-level of the "Add Recording" function.

574a41318a628_WMC_AddRecording.jpg

You can also go to the guide and select an entry. Here I right-clicked (because I don't use my WMC remote control with my desktop). The top (Program Details) is the "OK/Select" behavior.

574a421a59404_WMC_RecordingFromGuide.jpg

I hope that helps. I'm guessing you are asking because the "Live TV/Guide" stacked entries in Emby's "Media" section of the hamburger (three lines) menu is a little odd/confusing, but I understand that it is a product of the ability to have a separate "TV" library within Emby before the DVR functions were added. But then again, nothing else under the "Media" section has the same kind of special behavior. I think "Live TV" (or maybe "DVR") should be it's own section (like "Media") in the Emby hamburger menu. Then "Guide" and "Recordings" could be their own entries within that section.

Then again maybe you weren't asking for that reason at all and I just critiqued something nobody else thought was an issue. :-)

Edited by mvanzante

mediacowboy

Well you somewhat onto it. I was think it was like

- Live TV

- Movies

- TV Shows

- Settings

And then to get to your recordings you had to go horizontal on live TV.

mvanzante

Well you somewhat onto it. I was think it was like

- Live TV

- Movies

- TV Shows

- Settings

And then to get to your recordings you had to go horizontal on live TV.

Nope, you start on TV with "Recorded TV" (recordings) and just have to hit OK/Select to see a list of your recordings. Or move right to Guide or move right twice for Live TV. FYI, Search only searches the guide, not your Recordings (not a fan of this myself).

mediacowboy

This is what I was looking for:

574a5493a7667_LiveTV.png

Thanks for your help.

Guest asrequested

My apologies, @@Luke. @ and I seemed to be disagreeing about whether the "Cancel recording" should be available from the Series/Recordings view. 

I meant no animosity. Just expressing an opinion :)  

• Like 1

pünktchen

i'm going to move the days underneath the Advanced collapsible.

Hi @@Luke moving the days under the Advanced collapsible was a good choice. It's makes the interface much cleaner. But removing the days completely by checking "Record at any time" is an absolutely NoGo! I know at least two tv plugins where you can set a schedule at any time on a specific day of the week.

In general it's okay if you get some ideas out of WMC, but don't consider it as god of live tv [emoji6]

Edited by pünktchen

mvanzante

Hi @@Luke moving the days under the Advanced collapsible was a good choice. It's makes the interface much cleaner. But removing the days completely by checking "Record at any time" is an absolutely NoGo! I know at least two tv plugins where you can set a schedule at any time on a specific day of the week.

In general it's okay if you get some ideas out of WMC, but don't consider it as god of live tv [emoji6]

I concur that we probably shouldn't follow WMC in everything, but unless someone involved in WMC design says otherwise, it's probably safe to assume that Microsoft used some UI experts and/or even did Useability Studies while designing WMC. If there's something that doesn't make any sense or is confusing in WMC, then deviating from it would obviously be good, or if another design is clearly better. I think other suggestions are always welcome. It would be worth looking at how Tivo, DishTV's Hopper, the and the other PVR software packages out there do some of these things.

In regards to the "Days" checkboxes, I'm not sure other plugins using them mean that Emby needs them. I haven't used any other Emby TV/DVR plugins or been involved in the coding of Emby's scheduling/recording engine, but in my mind the plugins should be able to "translate" recordings from Emby's schedule, instead of Emby dictating to a plugin what parameters the plugin should use to schedule a recording. Emby should look at the recording parameters (setup via Emby), find the times that need to be recorded according to the guide data, and then tell the plugin "these are times you need to record". Maybe that's all wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

Guest asrequested

I seem to be in the minority with this, but I actually didn't like the way WMC did the tv component. In fact, I only ever used WMC when using the Media Browser plugin. I much prefer the direction that Luke and the team have gone in. Emby has come a long way since the early days, and I have confidence that they will take it to a much higher achievement. And it's great that we all have a chance to be (however small) a part of the development. It is good that we can see what has been, and take from it the parts we like.  

• Like 1

pünktchen

In regards to the "Days" checkboxes, I'm not sure other plugins using them mean that Emby needs them. I haven't used any other Emby TV/DVR plugins or been involved in the coding of Emby's scheduling/recording engine, but in my mind the plugins should be able to "translate" recordings from Emby's schedule, instead of Emby dictating to a plugin what parameters the plugin should use to schedule a recording. Emby should look at the recording parameters (setup via Emby), find the times that need to be recorded according to the guide data, and then tell the plugin "these are times you need to record". Maybe that's all wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

Yes, that's what the plugins do already: they translate the options given by Emby to their own scheduling possibilities. But without those options there's nothing to translate into!!!

I've also said earlier it would be okay if the plugins could say to Emby: I only need this and that option, so please hide the others.

But right now (dev) it's the other way: because Emby doesn't uses a combination of "anytime" and "days", the plugins also aren't allowed to do this?! Failure!