Hello. New forum member and new Emby user, here. I recently switched over to Emby from Plex for various reasons, one of them being that I was looking for a Windows Media Center replacement for DVR functionality. As such, my expectations/impressions are based on my previous experience with MCE, so factor that in to the opinions below.
I realize Live/Recorded TV is a relatively new feature in Emby and still being polished, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents on some things I noticed. I did not know exactly where to put this feedback in the forums. I saw other Live/Recorded TV posts here so I figured this would work.
Also, all of these feedback items are based on using the web interface via Chrome. No apps or anything like that (mostly only use the apps for playback, but will eventually set up recordings that way, too). I am using Server Version 3.0.5971.0
1) When setting up recording I manually specified the "Default Recording Path" because I was using the server interface remotely. I typed in the name of a non-existent directory hoping it would create the directory for me, but it didn't. In fact, recording did not work at all, and there was no indication of failure within the UI. Might be worth putting some kind of "directory must already exist" note there (probably assumed by most, but there's always a bigger "fool" to break the "fool-proof system").
2) For the series recordings, I did not interpret the "Record at Any Time" flag correctly. I had unchecked all the Sunday-Saturday checkboxes and then in the "Repeating Options" section clicked the "Record at Any Time". I had figured the "any time" wording meant it would over-ride the days, but it did not seem to because no scheduled recordings showed up in the recordings list. Then again, I didn't have the recording folder set up correctly at the time (see #1), so that would definitely have prevented recording.
3) Also for series recordings -- my wife likes to have the last 10 recordings of Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert available to watch, but we don't want to keep them all. If unwatched recordings need to be deleted automatically to limit the recordings to 10, that's fine. Windows Media Center has this capability for series recordings. It would be a nice feature to have as part of the series settings.
4) In my area there are multiple over-the-air PBS stations nearby that often carry the same content. I set up a series recording for "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" and clicked the "Record on all channels" checkbox and noticed that the "Recordings" section showed scheduled recordings for the same episode on the 2 different PBS stations. I don't really need 2 recordings of the same episode, but maybe recording of the second episode would have been skipped after the first was recorded? Or maybe that kind of functionality only works for the "Record only new episodes" feature.
5) In the web interface I found that I often had to refresh the page to view changes I had made. For instance, when scheduling a recording, after saving it, I would go to the "Recordings" tab and not see the newly scheduled recordings. Refreshing the page would make them show up.
6) Windows MCE has/had a nice keyword-based recording scheduling ability for those times when you want to subscribe to a series but it is not currently being broadcast (thus there are no references to it in the current guide data). Would be a nice feature to have. Or even better -- perhaps a way to search TheTVDB.com and/or TheMovieDB or other data source to be able to set up a potential future broadcast (e.g. if I wanted to record "The Revenant" the first time it's ever broadcast on TV I could just set up a recording for it by name and then it would automatically get recorded the first time it's broadcast). This would also be useful for setting up a future recording for a specific episode that was somehow missed by the "Only new episodes" subscription.
7) For me, the guide entries are not properly displaying the Season and Episode information. I'm only seeing an "E" for Episode number. Screenshot attached.
Hope this helps!
Edit - revised #7 - it is showing Season and Episode correctly on recordings, but not in the guide view.
Edited by mvanzante, 26 May 2016 - 06:03 PM.