HDHomeRun Connect

Scot

Scot

Hmm...I have Kodi installed on my Android TV (which uses NextPVR Plugin) and it plays direct with the TV handling the stream....as does playing using Plex on the Mobile Devices.

When I use Live Channels on Android TV the channel I have been selected uses x264 (or whenever it's called) however on Emby  it uses MPEG2...again no idea why.

I assumed hardware transcoding on my version of the HDHomeRun was supported, as the button to tick was present...

I am using the latest Beta of Emby also (actually the latest DEV) so I guess that would be my issue based on your last comment?

Although, it's always transcoded for as long as I can remember no matter what I do....

Edited by Scot

pünktchen

Kodi can direct play everything on every device because they use custom build codecs that suit to their application.

Emby instead uses in most cases the native playback possibilities of the device's inbuild player which is not so advanced.

When I use Live Channels on Android TV the channel I have been selected use x264 (or whenever it's called) however on Emby  it uses MPEG2...again no idea why.

With Android TV you mean "Google TV" not Emby in this case, am i right? Maybe, they never show any other info than x264?

I am using the latest Beta of Emby also (actually the latest DEV) so I guess that would be my issue based on your last comment?

I mean the Emby app for Android TV, not the Emby server. The app has problems with mpeg2 streams.

Scot

I mean Sony Android TV (Google TV is long gone really, see Android TV here: https://www.android.com/tv)...one can install the HDHomeRun Application and then the TV can natively connect to the HDHomeRuns for Live TV....one can enabled/disable MPEG and/or x264....the channel I have been using for the logs is a x264 stream when using the Android TV hence I am surprised EmbyTV uses MPEG.

All too complex, unfortunately I've been waiting over a year for Live TV to stream without transcoding...I guess it's just not meant to be for me.

CBers

Kodi can direct play everything on every device because they use custom build codecs that suit to their application.

Emby instead uses in most cases the native playback possibilities of the device's inbuild player which is not so advanced.

Yes, a long-running discussion topic :)

pünktchen

I mean Sony Android TV (Google TV is long gone really, see Android TV here: https://www.android.com/tv)...one can install the HDHomeRun Application and then the TV can natively connect to the HDHomeRuns for Live TV....one can enabled/disable MPEG and/or x264....the channel I have been using for the logs is a x264 stream when using the Android TV hence I am surprised EmbyTV uses MPEG.

That's what i mean with "Google TV". I've used this wording to seperate it from Emby Android TV app ;)

With the HDHomerun app for Android it is propably the same as with Kodi...

Btw. mpeg2 channels were working for me one or two month ago, so i'm pretty sure that will come back.

mvanzante

Sorry if this reiterates previous discussion, but the SiliconDust HDHD3-US is not even supported by SiliconDust's new HDHomerun DVR. I actually upgraded to the HDHR4-2US ("Connect") because I had funded the HDHR DVR Kickstarter, but have since made the move to Emby. 

I think, because of the way the HDHR3-US works, you would always need some sort of "External TV plugin" (as punktchen referred to it in another thread, I think) to be able to connect the TV tuner to Emby. But, as mentioned, the HDHR4-2US will do DLNA/UPnP, which I think is why Emby LiveTV can easily support it.

Interesting that the HDHR4-2US ("Connect") that I have does not support mp4 streams. I, too, thought that the presence of the checkbox in the Emby LiveTV settings implied that my tuner supported transcoding on the fly. Well, maybe I have a reason to upgrade to the "Extend" after all (i.e. to save server transcode cycles).

Edited by mvanzante

Vicpa
Hi All,

A couple points of clarification. The HDHR3-US or CC is the cable card model for the US. It is fully supported in the Silicon Dust DVR software. The HDHR3-4DC is the model for Europe.

The HDHR3 works just fine in emby, with both the internal HDHomerun support or plugins(at least SWMC).

The primary differences between the models is the support for digital cable, encrypted streams and output streams.

Quick cheat sheet

1) HDHR3-CC                               mpeg2 Ac3                 encrypted (subscription) digital cable.

2) HDHR4-2US- HDHR4-2DT      mpeg2 Ac3                 Over the air and clear QAM unencrypted digital cable (Please someone check me on the mpeg2 :))

3)HDTC-2US (Extend)            can transcode to h264     ​Over the air and clear QAM unencrypted digital cable    

A lot of the clients can direct play mpeg2.

-vicpa

mvanzante

Hi All,

A couple points of clarification. The HDHR3-US or CC is the cable card model for the US. It is fully supported in the Silicon Dust DVR software. The HDHR3-4DC is the model for Europe.

The HDHR3 works just fine in emby, with both the internal HDHomerun support or plugins(at least SWMC).

The primary differences between the models is the support for digital cable, encrypted streams and output streams.

Quick cheat sheet

1) HDHR3-CC                               mpeg2 Ac3                 encrypted (subscription) digital cable.
2) HDHR4-2US- HDHR4-2DT      mpeg2 Ac3                 Over the air and clear QAM unencrypted digital cable (Please someone check me on the mpeg2 :))
3)HDTC-2US (Extend)            can transcode to h264     ​Over the air and clear QAM unencrypted digital cable    

A lot of the clients can direct play mpeg2.

-vicpa

Now I'm confused and worried I muddied the waters, but after a little googling I think I see the issue --

There's a distinction between the HDHR3-US (2 Tuner HDHomerun "Dual" for QAM and unencrypted digital cable) and the HDHR3-CC (Cablecard) you mentioned. The HDHR3-US "Dual" is not supported by the SiliconDust HDHomerun DVR according to the Kickstarter comments. But the HDHR3-CC "Cable Card" is supported. 

I guess I never tested the HDHR3-US "Dual" with Emby LiveTV. I had assumed it would not work directly with Emby LiveTV without an external TV plugin since it will not work with Silicon Dust HDHomerun DVR. 

Edit -- SiliconDust link -- https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=36004&p=216973&hilit=hdhr3+us#p216973

Edited by mvanzante