Support media track display titles for Apple TV app

Michael K.

Michael K.

"Support media track display titles" is a fantastic update included in server 3.0.5971 (the latest version from the official release channel. More info on this update can be found here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34573-audio-and-subtitle-track-labels-for-mkv-containers/)

This update is working and looks good in the Firefox browser, but it is not reflected on the Apple TV app.

Can you please improve the Apple TV app to include this update?

Edited by Michael K.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Michael K.

Hi guys,

The Apple TV app has been working out really well and I have watched many movies and shows since installing it. My friends who have never seen Emby before where very impressed with the system, but they commented negatively about the difficulty we had with the track labels - so I thought I'd pass that comment along to you guys.

We I ran into a situation while watching a movie with some foreign speaking friends - we really needed the subtitles/audio selection a that moment, but it proved to be very difficult to find the right tracks because the labels were not available. The movie had several tracks for many languages, varying from multiple director's comments, visually impaired, forced, etc... We had to stop the playback a few times in the beginning to find what we needed, and that kills the mood a little.

Besides not having this feature in the Apple TV, it has worked and looks great in the browser. Great work!

Edited by Michael K.

In our custom menu (before playback) it now will use these display titles if they are there.

With the next server release, the in-playback menu in the Apple player should also have them.

• Like 1

Michael K.

In our custom menu (before playback) it now will use these display titles if they are there.

It works and looks great!

Now the labels appear and it is very easy to select the appropriate track.

With the next server release, the in-playback menu in the Apple player should also have them.

This is great news! I'm really looking forward to this and that will improve the user experience greatly.

Michael K.

I noticed there was a server update today to 3.0.5968 and that the release notes include "Added subtitle improvements for Apple TV".

Did this update include the in-playback menu in the Apple player that you mentioned yesterday?

I checked my Apple TV but I did not see anything different.

Well, the update includes the ability to use the in-playback menu for text-based subs without having to use our custom menu first.

We also had hoped it would allow the use of the display titles in that menu but it may be that we simply cannot control that.  We are investigating that further.

• 1 year later...
Michael K.

Hi @@ebr,

It seems this is not working any longer. When I view the audio and subtitle tracks in the Apple TV app, it doesn't show the label. I also notice this problem in the Firefox browser too, so I reported that to Luke. Please advise, thanks.

We will be bringing this back with a setting. I think it was a mistake to make it default behavior because unless you are manually curating your track titles, they are not going to look good.

Michael K.

That makes sense. Looking forward to it - all my track titles are manually curated. Thanks!

Edited by Michael K.