#1 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 544 posts
  • Local time: 04:27 AM
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

I will have to get some logs together, but I'm having a issue with avi files only on Android TV was curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing and perhaps if you are you can beat me to getting the logs posted. I'm on beta server 5984. I will have to get the ATV beta version number, I pulled in a update last night. 

The file begins to play, looking at the server it says transcoding, then switches to direct playing. No ffmpeg process is kicked off. The file plays for about 10-15 secs and then moves to the next episode in the series and rinse and repeat the problem as long as it's an AVI.

The AVI files have the following media info.

Video
CodecMPEG4
Codec tagXVID
ProfileAdvanced Simple Profile
Level5
Resolution640x352
Aspect ratio20:11
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97604
Bitrate972 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio
CodecMP3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate118 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
TitleMP3

Edited by BAS, 23 May 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#2 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

And this is why I've always force-transcoded .AVI files.  Tried turning that off in this new beta.

Is the codec information for all of these identical?  Can you find any AVI that plays properly?

#3 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 544 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

And this is why I've always force-transcoded .AVI files.  Tried turning that off in this new beta.

Is the codec information for all of these identical?  Can you find any AVI that plays properly?

That's a lot of searching, ton of AVI here still from older tv series and movies, this entire season is like that yes, bitrate varies here and there but nothing else is different. I'll try a few when I get a moment. Saw you moved the topic. Confirming yes this does happen on the same files on mobile android wifi, direct stream 10-15 secs, stops. I'm not sure why playback is always being tinkered with, I can't imagine the amount of pressure you and Luke must have to make things play direct... I've just come to face it, not all devices like the same codecs/formats/containers, and I would rather it just transcode... the transcode has been heavier, a good 20% percent heavier but I posted in testing area about it, I'm sure its the ffmpeg changes and updates going on their end and ours, and perhaps I just need a beefier cpu... who knows. I will try to get the all important logs but I'm in the middle of a pretty busy day / week with graduations.... but in a situation like this, I'm not sure why a toggle is not just offered... Transcode AVI yes or no with Yes being the default, and then you can alert the ones who want this file or that file to direct play to try changing that and report feedback. 

#4 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 544 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

No traction on this, I'm shocked. Well I will try to get some logs from tonights attempts when she goes to try them.

• MrWebsmith likes this

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

.... but in a situation like this, I'm not sure why a toggle is not just offered... Transcode AVI yes or no with Yes being the default, and then you can alert the ones who want this file or that file to direct play to try changing that and report feedback. 

There are probably 100 decisions and combinations of decisions that have to be made when deciding how to play something back.  We can't have a "toggle" for them all :).

But, if there were any way for us to determine exactly what it is about this content that makes it not work well then we could build that decision in as well and not just force transcoding for every .avi.

This does happen in the mobile app as well you said?

#6 BAS OFFLINE  

BAS

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 544 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

There are probably 100 decisions and combinations of decisions that have to be made when deciding how to play something back.  We can't have a "toggle" for them all :).

But, if there were any way for us to determine exactly what it is about this content that makes it not work well then we could build that decision in as well and not just force transcoding for every .avi.

This does happen in the mobile app as well you said?

I understand about toggles, the wife is just pissed that she can go to the Roku and these files play fine but the device in her room was switched to a Nexus player, and she can't play them. For someone like her she just doesn't understand that. That is correct, these same episodes don't play on android mobile either anymore. I have graduation #1 of this week today so kinda busy today. I might just dropbox one of these video files.

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138276 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

perhaps instead of blocking direct play for all avi, maybe exclude avi with codec tag xvid. that will at least reduce the number of people that will come out of the woodwork complaining about transcoding.

profile.CodecProfiles.push({
                        Type: 'Video',
                        Container: 'avi',
                        Conditions: [
                            {
                                Condition: 'NotEqual',
                                Property: 'CodecTag',
                                Value: 'xvid'
                            }
                        ]
                    });

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: avi, android tv, direct play, transcode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users