Season Unknown

Osmosis

Osmosis

i have been trying to figure this problem out for a long time off and on.

for some reason that i cannot track down i have one folder of my ripped dvds with the layout the same as all the other folders as far as i can see. and yet when i look at this folder (Comedy) in meta manager it drops all the movies into a ``Season Unknown``. i can still access the movies so this isn`t critical or anything but because of this (actually this part is just an assumption) when i go into comedy in emby classic the layout is completely messed up. i keep everything in poster view and this one bloody folder is constantly mocking me and my efforts to find where the difference is between comedy and any other folder. it just sits there refusing to change no matter what i do. tried making another folder called humor and moving the movies over a batch at a time and restarting emby each time to check. comedy sat there looking all messed up while it`s movie list shrank and humor grew with a lovely matching poster view until finally comedy was empty and humor looked good. deleted comedy and all was right with the world until humor went the way of comedy for reasons that are starting to seem like spite. is there a known cause for emby creating a ``Season Unknown`` in a folder that as far as i can see does not warrant it in the least?

It obviously thinks it is a TV series.  You must be using mixed content libraries, no?

What are the exact contents of that folder?

Osmosis

the contents are all ripped dvds. VIDEO_TS folders. the folders were set to mixed (wasn't thinking clearly when i set it up and since i had box sets of things like the Benny Hill show in there i for some reason considered it a movie/tv sort of situation when setting it up) anyway, i created a second library containing the exact same ripped dvd folders called ripped and set it to movies. this one does not show the genre folders that the dvds are kept in. it simply shows every dvd (but in poster vies so thats nice) when i enter it. now here is where i suspect my computer has gained sentience and is just screwing with me because it's a sadistic bastard. the ORIGINAL mixed Ripped DVDs folder is now showing the comedy folder properly. everything in poster view and pretending the problem was all in my imagination. a new machine intelligence thats trying to make it's owner question his own sanity. probably just waiting for me to delete the new folder so it can go back to messing up the comedy folder again. maybe do the war folder instead just to get on my nerves. as for my file names they are all grabbed directly from imdb except for a couple of tv show multi discs (example    Ripped DVDs 2\Comedy\Fawlty Towers/Fawlty Towers Disc 1\VIDEO_TS) the same naming convention i have used for multi discs in other ripped genre folders with no problems. the other folders are all named like (Ripped DVDs 2\Comedy\The Gumball Rally (1976)\VIDEO_TS) now i am going to go and delete that second ripped folder and see what happens. if the comedy folder goes back to the whole unknown season thing again i might just be bringing my comp into work. lots of heavy industrial equipment there are introducing the comp to a forklift or plasma cutter could be very therapeutic.

i didn't quite understand all of that. perhaps some screenshots of the folders in question would give us some examples so that we can identify the issue. thanks.

Osmosis

and deleting the library set as movies caused the library set as mixed to screw up the comedy genre folder again. sadistic sentient computer is starting to seem like the most probable answer. gonna try removing the ripped library mixed and re adding it as ripped library set as movies and see what happens (probably a folder with everything dropped in instead of showing the genre folders i have everything sorted into i imagine.

Osmosis

when the library is set as mixed everything works perfectly except for my comedy genre

57434707906da_unset2.jpg

every other genre folder is displayed in poster view except for this one

5743475374228_unset1.jpg

and if i set the library for movie then no genre folders are displayed and all movies are shown under ripped

57434f67e7990_movie2.jpg

Osmosis

the ripped dvd library consists of 3 folders named ripped 1 through 3. each of the folders contains genre folders with their own icons as you can see from my first picture. in each of these genre folders are movie folders using names from imdb like "Shocker (1989)" or a collection folder called things like "The Prophecy Collection" (if a collection folder then it would contain folders with the same naming convention as shocker above) in each of these folders are the standard VIDEO_TS folder containing the usual VIDEO_TS.VOB files and sucj you get from ripping in file format.

an example of the layout i use for non collection movies would be

P:\Ripped DVDs 1\Horror\Shocker (1989)\VIDEO_TS

and for collection movies would be

O:\Ripped DVDs 2\Comedy\Wayne's World Collection\Wayne's World (1992)\VIDEO_TS

is that the info you needed?

can we see screenshots of video_ts and the two levels above it? thanks.

Osmosis

ok, here is the layout for a movie in a collection. non collection movies are with one less folder level.

57435d667dbe2_videots.jpg

57435d8108794_videotsup.jpg

57435da1eeba7_videotsup2.jpg

57435db835ddf_videotsup3.jpg

so thats climbing from video ts up through the folder structure. am i doing something wrong and am missing it? the strange thing is a new occurrence i believe. this layout used to work and i don't recall adding anything into the comedy folder that could have caused this.

directly under comedy, are there any folders with numbers in their name (aside from year in parents)?

Osmosis

in folders like Benny Hill Show there are folders named "Benny Hill Disc 1" and so on and there are movies like "Cannonball Run II" there is also one titled "The Three Stooges (TV Series 1965–1966)" ... oh crap. that's it, isn't it. the stooges are the ones causing this with that title aren't they?

Edited by Osmosis

i am not sure but i think it's the comedy folder getting recognized as a tv series.

Osmosis

the season unknown problem? that was only happening when the dvds library was set as mixed. how about why when they it is set as movies i lose all the genre folders and all the dvds are just all grouped together? thats another odd one. i have renamed that stooges disc and am in the process of refreshing (takes a while) i will see if that changes anything.

you could probably also just try going to the metadata manager and setting the content type of the comedy folder to Movies, then run a library scan.

For this kind of structure you definitely need to use the unset content type and then hope for the best with the server's automatic detection, and manually correct content types as needed.

As far as your issue when setting it as Movies, it goes back to what I said earlier. Take a look at the Movie Naming guide:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

The further you deviate from the suggested structure, the more side effects you will encounter. Unfortunately this isn't magic. There needs to be some structure or the server can't tell what's what.

Osmosis

on a completely different subject i ran across a bit of an oddity. i was editing a series.xml file in one of my shows and had made a backup of it but instead of renaming the backup i just dropped it into the season folder of that show with the intention of bringing it back to the series level or deleting it if the editing of the series.xml worked. long story short is i left it in the season folder and forgot it there and found that any episode i dropped in that folder from that point onward was automatically flagged as viewed. even now after i deleted the backed up series.xml out of the season folder this series still flags any episode that is dropped in it as viewed. weird huh? ahh refresh done. now to check again.

Osmosis

you can set content type in the metadata manager? i thought it was only set through adding a library.

Library setup for the main top levels but metadata manger to override at sub levels

Osmosis

so separating movies into genre folders are the cause? don't really like the idea of just having movie folders with things like caddyshack and evil dead all dumped into the same folder without any organization

no, i think that is generally ok. there is some room for flexibility to deviate from the suggestions a little bit, it's just that there's probably an outlier in there somewhere.

Osmosis

im hoping it was the stooges. just put the library back in set as mixed and am waiting on the refresh again. if it IS that movie that is the cause then there is probably some sort of moral to having constant screw ups and all the failed attempts at tracking it down only to discover it was Moe, Larry, and Curly that were the cause. not sure what the moral would be but if it works after the refresh then im certain i will be hearing a disembodied "Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" coming from somewhere.

• Like 1

Osmosis

and that seems to have fixed it. library is set as mixed, comedy is displaying poster view. the stooges were the cause all along, having a disc that actually has TV Show in the titles should have been a bit of a give away really. thanks for walking me through this. now it's a waiting game till the next odd thing i can't figure out the cause of crops up. anyone else have the curly shuffle running through their heads for some reason?