issue with subtitles

rrb008

rrb008

A few mkv's with embedded subs show only the very top of the first line of them. this doesn't happen with external subs, at least in subrip format ( haven't tried microdvd though).

One file was showing subs "behind" the black border on the bottom of the screen ( can't reproduce this anymore since I deleted the embedded sub and replaced it with an external one).

but what can I do to solve this that doesn't envolve ripping subs from a lot of files?

Edited by rrb008

Tikuf

Can I see a screen shot (if possible) and an ffmpeg log + debug server log it sounds like the subs canvas is not being scaled correctly. Hard to tell without more info.

rrb008

@@Tikuf

Got a photo here https://www.dropbox.com/s/98ry395l3h2scpy/IMG_20140103_151342.jpg

It shows only the top part of the 1st line of the sub ( has two lines)

As for the ffmpeg and debug server logs, would you let me know how to get them?

Strike the last. I believe this is what you need

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/server-63524362951.log?w=AADxE7PAN4Ruz3SBun0zFBoPxAuYFhNhinnWBpI-l7VD4g

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/ffmpeg-c81ea295-e617-4e22-b5a7-593acb8c1e1c.txt?w=AADpcpb-PChqa_DZKJ7Tm6LbGXidmonsTB6kl0HcbUCPPw

Please let me know if there's anything else you need

thx

Edited by rrb008

I'm watching this too, since I also have an issue with subs and MKV's. Though in my case they don't display in the web player either.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Tikuf

@@rrb008

The issue here is the fact that when the video was encoded the video stream was resized from dvd size (720x576) to 640x480 this is not really an issue but who ever encoded the video did not resize the subs (which are pgs and therefore considered a video stream) subs are still dvd size.

see below:

Duration: 00:48:12.08, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 788 kb/s
   Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, smpte170m), 640x480, SAR 1:1 DAR 4:3, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
   Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac, 32000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
   Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:3(fre): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:4(ger): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:5(spa): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:6(dut): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:7(dan): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:8(fin): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:9(por): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:10(nor): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576
   Stream #0:11(swe): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576

Now I can fix your issue but it will break pgs subs for everyone else. I'm not sure if this will satisfy @@Luke  90/10 rule. I think it is a fringe problem but if I am wrong and it is a common problem (which I suspect it is not) it will be fairly low on the priority list sorry.

• Like 1

Yea, 90/10, sorry. But quick question Tikuf - since we collect the resolution of each stream during the library scan, can this info be used to correct the situation?

Tikuf

Ya i have played with resizing the stream (subs overlay) but without spending a bunch of time on it and hacking a solution up I can't see a quick resolution (ffmpeg it appears has no easy mechanism to resize the video and the overlay independently of each other using dynamic sizing (-1)). I will have a bit of a hunt in spare time but I am not hopeful.

Edited by Tikuf

Ok, I have created a ticket

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/issues/657

Consider it low priority. The reason I think this can be done is because anything that is added for this we should be able to skip if the subtitle resolution matches the video (or is close to it). That could help us resolve it while not affecting everyone else.

• Like 1

rrb008

@@Luke @@Tikuf thanks for looking into this

I never tried to play this in the server player, so never realized that it had the same issue.

So... as I understand it, the reencoder forgot to "pull up" the subs, right?

So the correct way to solve this would be reencode again AND put the subs in the right place ( 640x480)?

Tikuf

@@Luke @@Tikuf thanks for looking into this

I never tried to play this in the server player, so never realized that it had the same issue.

So... as I understand it, the reencoder forgot to "pull up" the subs, right?

So the correct way to solve this would be reencode again AND put the subs in the right place ( 640x480)?

Ya that's correct but we can handle it. It is a check we should likely have and it is not a terribly big change.

• Like 1