Emby is freezing on Insignia Roku TV

StrangledSyntax

Well, I'm about to give up fellas...

Factory reset the TV. First just audio and video settings, with no change, and then a full factory reset. Same thing happens as I've been reporting. Everything is unreasonably slow to respond. Takes minutes to respond to just one click on the remote. This is the only device in my network that has issues pulling media from the server. I really appreciate all the help and time spent trying to get this going. But, I don't really know what else to do.

If the app is newly started, can you send videos to it via remote casting? In a web browser, navigate to the server and choose the "second screen" icon in the top right corner. Choose the rokuTV and try to then play video from the browser. This should make the second screen, in this case your rokuTV, immediately play that video. Does this work?

If even that doesnt work I am out of ideas. Does the black video play screen, with the title and retrieving bar showing for you? Is the TV still under warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

dcook

Are you able to test with a real Roku device?  I have the Roku3 and have no issues.  Most stores have a good return policy so you could always buy a Roku3 and test with it, and then return it.  

I suspect that the Roku version built into the Insigna TV is not same version as the Roku3

Ok. hmm.. somehow this is turning into a post stuff after me thing? Hopefully not, cuz that is just odd.

So let's pretend now it is the TV. So all the apps refuse to play video on it? Surely not.

The problem is we can't be sure every single function we are using in the app works with rokuTV. The rokuTV does not allow legacy interfaces to be used with it. In the present roku app, yes, a few legacy interfaces are in use. In fact, there are no firmware 7 interfaces used to poll the device at all in the app. We are rely on firmware 6 methods to pull audio information about the device. This I suspect is the problem. This causes the video player to lose focus. It won't spawn an invalid screen. This makes the screen stack out of order. The stack parser cannot tell which screen is on top any longer. So you start to feel the app has hung, but you can still navigate sorta.

What needs to be done is correct firmware 7 device identification for models of rokuTV, and for all others too, eventually. Then we can spawn a video player now that we know the audio types which are supported. I asked if remotely sending to the roku caused the same problem because this tries to spawn a video player regardless. There should be a clear crash using this way rather than navigating.

• Like 1

StrangledSyntax

Ok. hmm.. somehow this is turning into a post stuff after me thing? Hopefully not, cuz that is just odd.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

I asked if remotely sending to the roku caused the same problem because this tries to spawn a video player regardless. There should be a clear crash using this way rather than navigating.

No sir. I tested this on two different files with no apparent issues. Both movies opened up quickly and seemed to be streaming just fine.

At this point, I have now have a Plex server streaming only my kids media through the Plex app on the Roku TV. So far everything is working perfect.

Thanks @speechless for trying to get this going for me! I really appreciate all the effort you put in.

Edited by StrangledSyntax

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

No sir. I tested this on two different files with no apparent issues. Both movies opened up quickly and seemed to be streaming just fine.

At this point, I have now have a Plex server streaming only my kids media through the Plex app on the Roku TV. So far everything is working perfect.

Thanks @speechless for trying to get this going for me! I really appreciate all the effort you put in.

The post after me thing wasnt in regards to you, mate, so no worries. Saul goodman. I mean, s'all good man. ;)

Yeah it is the way we detect capabilities that is causing the issue. Plex already pulls information from the device using firmware 7 device interfaces. I can make emby do that too, but it may require hand holding with you working through the changes to ensure they were bug free on your device. If you ever feel up to that reinvestigate this thread in the future and look me up.

Adding these changes will eventually happen as they are requirements when stepping into scene graph functions. The device now reports its full video and audio codec support as well as other details directly. There isnt such a need to know all this ahead of time which is how we have been doing it.

The capabilities section of the app would need a rewrite to allow the roku to directly tell us what video and audio support it has. Presently, we decide for the device, rather than the device deciding for itself. This will change in the future, but right now this is the shortcoming.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful, or suggest some alternatives. Glad you found something which does as you expect and makes you happy. The entire point isnt to force one app, one platform, one mind. You can feel free to use plex, emby, kodi, or anything else at different times and still feel at home posting here.

There is no shame in saying we just arent there yet with fully supportng rokuTV. It isnt that we havent been trying there just needs to be more people like yourself with time and willingness to help by: shouting out when things dont work, actually being honest with answers, and coming back and following up on posts where you mentioned problems. All these things you have done. It isnt for your lack of help that this problem still exists. We have let you down. It is our fault entirely. For this I apologize.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1