Synology Package in Development (Pre-release Testers Wanted)

solabc16

BarryAmerika

Hello All

I've just published 3.0.6060.0-15, which adds support for DSM version 5.2-5967 on Intel based Synology and XPEnology systems.

Best

- James

UPDATE: Release 3.0.6070.0-1 is now available.

If I upgrade my XPEnology build from DSM 5.2-5592 to 5.2-5967 should I then see it in the community part of the package centre after adding the repo or do I need to sign up for the beta somewhere?

Bimmermad

If I upgrade my XPEnology build from DSM 5.2-5592 to 5.2-5967 should I then see it in the community part of the package centre after adding the repo or do I need to sign up for the beta somewhere?

That's correct you should see it then.

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

CheRowley

Hi!

Finally been able to get Emby server on a xpenology server DSM 5.2-5967.

Emby Version: 3.0.6070.0-1

It seems to serve media fine.

The itv player plugin doesn't work in that it doesn't list the programs or play the live tv streams - is this plugin broken on synology?

The tunein plugin also doesn't work as none of the streams play - is this plugin broken on synology?

Just tried the Revision 3 and those streams don't play either.

If these things should be working then what logs do I need to provide?

Cheers!

Bimmermad

Hi!

The itv player plugin doesn't work in that it doesn't list the programs or play the live tv streams - is this plugin broken on synology?

The tunein plugin also doesn't work as none of the streams play - is this plugin broken on synology?

Cheers!

I have had the same experience whereby none of the plugins work. I am wondering if it has anything to do with xpenology

Hi!

Cheers!

Hi there, welcome. In order to best help you, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

I have had the same experience whereby none of the plugins work. I am wondering if it has anything to do with xpenology

Hi there, welcome. Please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks!

solabc16

Thanks for posting a response to this earlier @@Bimmermad.

@@BarryAmerika XPEnology is fully supported on stable now, minimum DSM is 5.2-5967.

- James

solabc16

Hello @Bimmermad, @@CheRowley, All

There are no technical constraints imposed when running Emby Server on XPEnology, so the default expectation should be that any plugins will work.

If you could send me your support logs using this procedure: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

- James

solabc16

A couple of observations after running the server n my DS1010+ (DSM 5.2) for a couple of days now:

The server is coping reasonably well with my very large library (4TB of shows, movies, music, audiobooks, home videos etc).

Browsing via web client is a little slow - this could be the due to the size of the library, or the speed of the NAS CPU or the Disks (in RAID5).

The console is quite snappy and responsive - the latest update (3.0.0.6070.0-2) seems to have made a bif difference in responsiveness. 

Memory load (from Mono) is between 250MB to 700MB. When it hits 700 MB, the server becomes kind of slow but it doesn't happen often, mainly during a library scan. It seems to gradually reduce to reasobale levels after. I need to observe it over a longer period to be sure.

Meanwhile, I changed the frequency of library scans to once a day, to reduce the impact.

A couple of questions:

1) Does auto-update (via package center) work? I haven't tried it for fear of messing something up...

2) Regarding plugins - do you need to reinstall them every time you update?

3) Will the "server-restart" plug-in work? Or is it safer to shut down and restart emby manually for now?

Thanks for any advice!

Hello @@dimitrik

Thanks @@shad0h for jumping in with some answers to the above. There are some notes here on the Wiki, regarding automatic updates: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Notes-on-Package-Updates

Regarding restarting the server from the WebUI, this is something that we have some ideas on and will tackle once we have the other Synology architectures supported. We support stopping through the WebUI, but starting has to be done via Package Center, for now.

- James

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

The Emby package for all Marvell based Synology systems has been published today.

If you're not sure what processor your box has, you can check here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Summary-of-Models-by-Processor.

To install, follow the instructions under the Synology section here http://emby.media/nas-server.html.

As with the Intel release, migration from the community edition is supported and there is a wiki article on the process here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Migrating-From-the-Community-Package.

Let us know how you get on and of course, any issues check out the Synology forum.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello All

The beta programme is now running for ST Microelectronics based systems. (e.g. DS216play)

If you want to get early access and help with testing, let us know by posting here.

Best

- James

solabc16

I would be happy to be a part of the test group if I can be of any help. I had Emby running on my Synology but am really anxious to try an actual package.

DS414j

MACOM Comcerto 2000

DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

Hello @@jimmyrun

I've just sent you a PM, giving you access to the beta release of the Emby supported package for your platform.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello All

The beta programme is now running for MACOM based systems. (e.g. DS414j)

If you want to get early access and help with testing, let us know by posting here.

Best

- James

aureliencoi

Hello All

The beta programme is now running for ST Microelectronics based systems. (e.g. DS216play)

Best

- James

Hi, Can you count me in ? 

I've waited for a package for the DS216play for ages. 

Thanks

Hello,

I would be glad to help testing, and join the beta for DS1515.

Thanks for your work guys.

DS1515

Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-314

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 1

maartengarcia

1) Are you currently running Emby on Synology? If yes, which Synology platform are you using?

Not on a Synology, but on my computer.

2) Would you be willing to test development packages? (these will install in parallel and not touch or interfer with the existing installation)

Yes, i'd love to help testing. I have a Synology DS216play