Synology Package in Development (Pre-release Testers Wanted)

solabc16

Bimmermad

I would like to join also. I have xpenology 5.2 running on am Intel i3 processor

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

Bimmermad

HI Luke,

I have installed the package source (https://synology.emby.media/) as per normal, however the Emby package is not appearing in my Package Center (either under the Community tab nor any other tab).

I have deleted and re-added the package several times, closed and reopened Package Center, refreshed package center numerous times and even pushed Trust Level to 'any publisher' over the last few hours............but still no luck getting the Emby package to appear in my Package Center.

The only thing I haven't done yet is restart the NAS system - does it require a full NAS restart to appear in package center? (if so i'll restart later in the 'quieter' hours).

I am running a DS1813+ on DSM 5.2-5644... this should be good for EMBY according to your requirement specs? It is an Intel and I don't see a restriction on DSM requirement??.

Am I missing anything here? :unsure:

Thanks

Hi I am having the same issue does you manage to sort this?

Bimmermad

Hey,

I am using emby a lot lately on my Xpenology setup running on a Core i3 with 4GB of memory. I'd be willing to help out.

Hi how did you get it working on xpenology?

solabc16

I would also like to help out and join the testing group. 

DS213j

MARVELL Armada 370

DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

Kind regards

Hello @@metarded

Thanks, I've sent you a PM, be sure to read from the top.

- James

solabc16

Hello @@Bimmermad

Are you running XPEnology or a DS1813+, or both?

The port for XPEnology is now in testing, so if you'd like to join this test programme, let me know.

Work on supporting DSM5.2 on Synology hardware is also in progress, we just need some more testers to validate, before we make public.

Best

- James

Bimmermad

Hello @@Bimmermad

Are you running XPEnology or a DS1813+, or both?

The port for XPEnology is now in testing, so if you'd like to join this test programme, let me know.

Work on supporting DSM5.2 on Synology hardware is also in progress, we just need some more testers to validate, before we make public.

Best

- James

Hi I would be delighted to help testing. I have a xpenology ds3615xs running 5.2 Intel i3.

Bimmermad

Hello @@Bimmermad, @@simono5

- James

Hi James that ks for the message just a problem which I have encountered is that I am unable to find the emby package after adding the source. I have installed an older version of emby 3.0.5934 but it is not working correctly could you please help. Me to update my current version. Is there a file I can download to manually install 3.0.6060?

mrMauzza

Hi to all,

I would like to contribute to the test for the Armada 300 series package.

I have DS215j with Armada375 and DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

Mauro

solabc16

Hello @

- James

Edited by solabc16

Is this package available for an Armada XP based system currently? If so I'd love to try it

DS414 Marvell Armada XP MV78230, DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

solabc16

Hello All

I've just published 3.0.6060.0-15, which adds support for DSM version 5.2-5967 on Intel based Synology and XPEnology systems.

Best

- James

UPDATE: Release 3.0.6070.0-1 is now available.

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

ACIDTER

Hi, I would also like to contribute.

I have running emby on my DS213j over a year now. Currently I'm on DSM 5.2-5592, that could be changed.

- Pat

Edited by ACIDTER

Commerzpunk
Hi!

i really like to try emby on my synology DS115.

It's based on  Armada 375 88F6720 processor and DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2.

Cant wait to see a nice 'server' side backend for my Kodi / LibreELEC clients.

And i'd like to see if its worth to buy emby premiere lifetime (Which is on sale right now).

thanks for adding me in advance.

solabc16

Hello @@ACIDTER

Thanks.

On Marvell processor based systems, minimum supported firmware is currently DSM6, so you would need to upgrade first.

I've sent you a PM, be sure to read from the top.

- James

jimmyrun

I would be happy to be a part of the test group if I can be of any help. I had Emby running on my Synology but am really anxious to try an actual package.

DS414j

MACOM Comcerto 2000

DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

dimitrik

After a lot of help from James, I have Emby server up and running on my DS1010+ with DX510 extension unit, under the latest DSM 5.2.

So far it seems to be working well, with a limited library.

I've just added my complete library of music, TV and movies, which is pretty massive and I'm waiting to see how it will cope. It's still scanning.

One issue I've noticed is massive RAM usage by mono.

I've ordered a 2GB RAM upgrade which will triple my available memory, so we'll see what happens then.

solabc16

Hello @@dimitrik

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you're making good progress.

Extra memory certainly won't hurt, and it's relatively inexpensive.

Whilst being cautious not to oversimplify a complex subject, in general Mono will give the application the memory it is demanding, if the host OS can accommodate it.

Tweaking the runtime memory management is something we can look at, if we find that the default behaviour isn't 'reasonable'.

If the memory footprint is continuing to grow over time, rather than fluctuating and returning to a nominal level, then that would be something we need to look at.

- James

dimitrik

Thanks James. I'll keep you posted. Right now mono is hovering at around 500-700 MBs, but that may be related to the server scanning the library for several hours.

I'll see what it's like in the next few days and report back.

dimitrik

A couple of observations after running the server n my DS1010+ (DSM 5.2) for a couple of days now:

The server is coping reasonably well with my very large library (4TB of shows, movies, music, audiobooks, home videos etc).

Browsing via web client is a little slow - this could be the due to the size of the library, or the speed of the NAS CPU or the Disks (in RAID5).

The console is quite snappy and responsive - the latest update (3.0.0.6070.0-2) seems to have made a bif difference in responsiveness. 

Memory load (from Mono) is between 250MB to 700MB. When it hits 700 MB, the server becomes kind of slow but it doesn't happen often, mainly during a library scan. It seems to gradually reduce to reasobale levels after. I need to observe it over a longer period to be sure.

Meanwhile, I changed the frequency of library scans to once a day, to reduce the impact.

A couple of questions:

1) Does auto-update (via package center) work? I haven't tried it for fear of messing something up...

2) Regarding plugins - do you need to reinstall them every time you update?

3) Will the "server-restart" plug-in work? Or is it safer to shut down and restart emby manually for now?

Thanks for any advice!

Hello again @@dimitrik

1) The team have recommended against using auto-update for this package. You will get your notifications through the admin screen of Emby and still get the notification in package centre that an update is available, just you need to manually apply it.

2) Plugins should still be present when you do a package centre upgrade.

3) Server restart plugin won't work for us, because our server is running as a service - I think it really only works on Windows servers.

Again, hope that helps.

Shane

• Like 1