Synology Package in Development (Pre-release Testers Wanted)

solabc16

darkside2006

Morning @@solabc16

My version is 6.0-7321 update 6.

I didnt see the mono package, i think thats the problem, so there is no chance for an official version for my DS.

The Freescale PowerPC CPU is probably the problem, i think.

AlwinHummels

Morning @@solabc16

My version is 6.0-7321 update 6.

I didnt see the mono package, i think thats the problem, so there is no chance for an official version for my DS.

The Freescale PowerPC CPU is probably the problem, i think.

Did you have betas enabled on your package mannager?

solabc16

Hi darkside2006

Ah yes, it's the DS413j that currently has support, not the the DS413.

If you're happy logging in via SSH, could you send me the output of 'uname -a' from your box.

- James

Michael_Schmitz

Yes I like to participate.

Currently I own a DS415+ running latest DSM6 and latest Emby Server 5.934

Best

Michael

darkside2006

Hi darkside2006

Ah yes, it's the DS413j that currently has support, not the the DS413.

If you're happy logging in via SSH, could you send me the output of 'uname -a' from your box.

- James

Hi James,

here the output.

Linux DiskStation 2.6.32.12 #7321 SMP Wed Mar 23 11:46:05 CST 2016 ppc GNU/Linux synology_qoriq_413

Hendrik

olli4711

@@olli4711 - you can manually install Emby on DSM6; if you're already running Emby and upgrade from DSM5 to DSM6 it should keep running without issue - I haven't had any issue doing that with the systems I've tested on here.

- James

Works! Thanks James!!

solabc16

Evening

A quick update, so you can follow how we're progressing - thanks for your comments and feedback so far.

- Whilst we still look to publish natively through Synology's Package Center, Emby will be supported by the addition of a single package source 'Emby LLC'.

574240023ca6a_add_package_source.png

- The installers will be signed and the certificate will be automatically added when you configure the package source above.

574240f6db160_package_source_certificate

- Emby will appear in the 'Community' section of the Package Center UI. (below shows the test package we're using here for development)

57424162b4de1_package_center_ready_to_in

- Selecting the package displays the product description, along with supporting product images and URLs.

5742422285353_package_center_screen1.png

5742422d1e7f9_package_center_screen2.png

574242370f3c8_package_center_screen3.png

5742423fce878_package_center_screen4.png

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

RobsterUK

@@solabc16 Looking good. Great work!
Very impressed on how quickly you have got this far.

The race is on now, will you get a DSM5.x version ready before the Xpenology community gets DSM 6.x released. ;)

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Hi, I had Emby running on a ds2413+ on dsm 5 but have since uninstalled.

Would be interested in helping with testing. Now on dsm 6.0

cytec

@@solabc16 seeing that you seem to have plans to publish this directly now, means i can stop working on the emby synocommunity package all together now and you'll take over or what? Doesn't make any sense to me to make all the work twice ;)

Good day James,

Any estimated date to we can start testing? Not to push anything any way, just as the moment, I have Synology fully loaded and ready doing nothing as well my new pc build, still did not install emby server on it, just waiting for this.

My best

• Like 1

solabc16

Evening

@@Spaceboy - thanks

@@kodibart - possibly in the future, as it is listed as supporting the Xamarin Mono build; cpu performance may be limiting depending on your intended use.

@@Abobader - intention is to release a test package over the weekend/early next week, which will allow us to collect test data. Depending on the feedback, a full package trial for test users a week later. These will both be parallel install versions, leaving any existing installation untouched. Initial targets, as noted in the opener, will be DSM6/x64 based machines.

As a general update and recap, the end goal is to have Emby featured natively in Synology's package centre, so that it is easily accessible to the wider Synology user base. For expediency, the initial releases will be published directly from Emby's servers, as there is a validation process to work through with Synology, before they will accept the package for distribution.

This is happening in parallel, but we don't this to delay making point and click installation and maintenance available; the work we do here will help with that process.

Best

- James

dimitrik

Hi James,

thanks for this, it's great to see this work happening!

I have a DS1010+ with DSM 5.2. Not sure if the hardware is up to the task but I would be willing to try and test the server while in development.

solabc16

Evening dimitrik

Initial target will be DSM6, but there is Mono support and it's an x64 machine, so it's possible in a subsequent phase.

It depends on how you are using it as to whether it will be up to the task.

It won't fair particularly well when transcoding is required, but if your clients are able to direct play your media, then it should work adequately.

- James

n00b42

1.) No real Synology, but XPenology on x64 System (Intel® Atom™ Processor C2750)

2.) Yes, would test

corey

I'm curious I have a DS716+ and was originally running Emby in a Docker container but had to abandon it because the transcoding of Live TV content was pegging the CPU. Would this be a problem with this version of Emby?

mippoliti

Hi !

Availability of Emby native package is a Dream...

Now my setup is based on ds1515+ with dedicated debian 8 with emby machine (Asus e510)

1) No

2) Yes, 'm very happy to test

thank you.

Edited by mircoippoliti