High CPU usage from ffmpeg whhen idle

Michael K.

Michael K.

After watching a video on the Apple TV, I notice the ffmpeg processes continues to run indefinitely. It runs at around 30% processor power. I have to terminate the processes in the Windows task manager, or restart the computer.

The videos are being transcoded from MKV.

I attached the logs files that were generated from the start of playing the movie, until the point I terminated ffmpeg.

This other post has very similar description of the issue, although I was told this was solved and to repost my question in the Apple TV channel: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20474-high-cpu-usage-when-idle/

Please advise, thanks.

Log1.txt

Log2.txt

Log3.txt

Hi, can you please repeat the test, only this time, make a note of the times of your actions. For example, i started playing xyz at 12:00, then I stopped at 1:00 by (pressing the stop button or how)?, then ffmpeg continued to run on my server. Thanks.

Michael K.

I had Intel Quick Sync selected for Hardware acceleration. I figured out that if I change Hardware acceleration to 'Auto', the problem is resolved. The ffmpeg process terminates normally after stopping play. In fact a few other problems also disappear.

It seems that Intel Quick Sync is not working well for me. Would it be possible to troubleshoot this?

Hi, can you please repeat the test, only this time, make a note of the times of your actions. For example, i started playing xyz at 12:00, then I stopped at 1:00 by (pressing the stop button or how)?, then ffmpeg continued to run on my server. Thanks.

Should I still make this test again and record the time and actions?

No, it looks like when quick sync it's not responding to the instruction to stop gracefully. in that situation we'll just have to forcefully kill the process. thanks.

Michael K.

The issue with QuickSync goes beyond not quitting gracefully. When QuickSync is enabled, I have trouble with getting videos to play, switching chapters, fast forward/rewind.

I'm going to try Emby on a different server with a different series processor. Perhaps it's just the particular model I'm using.

Are there any known compatible processors or any known incompatible processors? 

Can you recommend any particular Intel processor models or series or that you know work really well with Emby?

I think newer generation processors along with updated video drivers are your best bet.

Michael K.

Okay. I'll try a few. Should I post feedback somewhere as I find models that work or don't work?

I have a lot of interested in using Quick Sync to achieve serving multiple video streams efficiently. There are around 20 Apple TV's that would be connected to this server, but only 4 or 5 might be used at any given time.

Edited by Michael K.