Philips TV not appearing in the device list and no DLNA access

josch.hh

• 1 month later...
vlachmed

After long 3 hours of trying out the things mentioned here and searching the forums I can also report that EmbyServer doesn't work on my Philips Android TV 40PFS5501.

When I open network, it shows up almost immediately (great) but when I try to browse it, I just get the loading circle animation stuck there forever (left it for around 40 min).

I have no problem accessing any other DLNA server on the same TV. Windows media server, ALLMediaServer, serviio (or whatever the name was) are just few of the servers I have tried.

The server is hosted on a windows 10 machine. The same machine hosted all the softwares used in the test. And if my memory serves me right, I tried Emby Plugin on FreeNAS and I think once it let me browse the contents. So you can also check that one too.

vlachmed

Because it is a trial version. And I don't like being forced to pay for an app especially because another feature is not working. If I like the app I will unlock it to show support. But so far the movie fast-forward/rewind feature is too slow and clunky, no subtitles options (increase size/decrease size, change color, etc.).

You are on a good track, but please fix this issue with the Philips TVs.

AgileHumor

@@Luke, Respectfully, Sharp TV's also don't work.  It is not just Philips.  

It may be worthwhile to work around the vendors limitations.

Works fine for Windows.  Unsure what is wrong with Emby as my Android phone and Windows pick it up fine. 

Seems to be same symptoms as described below for Philips or Sharp:

• Android Cast: Works 
  • Windows Cast: Works
  • Plex: Works
  • Emby: Does Not Work

​Windows working screenshot of Sharp Aquos:

Next post

Perhaps Emby requires replies to SSDP broadcast which Philips may not do per this thread:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?10605-TV-not-visible-as-DLNA-DMR-(Digital-Media-Renderer)-impossible-to-push-audio-video

Can Emby be a listener to unsolicited SSDP broadcasts?  That may help for Philips or Sharp.

Edited by AgileHumor

Yes we have already implemented support for the things discussed in that article.

- finally, if I keep the DLNA client searching on the network for long time, it finally manage to find the TV, more precisely after 15 minutes (see screenshot below). This is because the TV broadcasts new SSDP NOTIFY messages every 15 minutes !
So my questions:
- is it normal behaviour ? (I suppose not, but well ...).
- if not, how can I force the TV to broadcast itself more regularly ?

We do listen for Notify broadcasts. 

josch.hh

You showed support to philips by buying into their not so spec compliant upnp implementation :)

Lol, you are kidding.

As all other guys here realized that emby is the ONLY upnp server not been able to work with phillips, i am wondering who is not compliant?

As said, even the basic Intel upnp toolkit is working with philips, so please...

Edited by josch.hh

We will of course adjust to whatever the requirements of Philips are. I am simply just saying that they are unique to Philips.

• Like 1

josch.hh

I really don't think it is a Phillips or android problem. That facts point to emby which maybe needs to be reviewed in terms of the basic upnp implementation

AgileHumor

That facts point to emby which maybe needs to be reviewed in terms of the basic upnp implementation

I agree.  Remember, it's a SHARP AND PHILIPS problem only with Emby.

AgileHumor

Yes we have already implemented support for the things discussed in that article.

- finally, if I keep the DLNA client searching on the network for long time, it finally manage to find the TV, more precisely after 15 minutes (see screenshot below). This is because the TV broadcasts new SSDP NOTIFY messages every 15 minutes !
So my questions:
- is it normal behaviour ? (I suppose not, but well ...).
- if not, how can I force the TV to broadcast itself more regularly ?

We do listen for Notify broadcasts. 

It doesn't work.

With every other manufacturer it does. Obviously there is something philips or sharp specific that we need to adjust to, but it is not something that just comes for free via the generic support that we have for all the other devices.

josch.hh

With every other manufacturer it does. Obviously there is something philips or sharp specific that we need to adjust to, but it is not something that just comes for free via the generic support that we have for all the other devices.

Do you really think that a basic piece of software like the "Intel Upnp Toolkit" really has a specific adjustment for Phillips, Sharp or anything else?

To answer my own question: NO, of course not!

And the only logical consequence is that emby is more or less accidentally working with some client devices.

You can not ignore this fact.

Edited by josch.hh

@@AgileHumor, I asked @@softworkz to test the dlna server from his 2014 sharp and he tested it with no problem found. It showed up on the Sharp, and he was able to play videos, music and photos. There were a couple sporadic video failures, which we'll easily handle via the creation of a custom profile for Sharp TV's. But the core function of the TV discovering the server and displaying content worked perfectly.

josch.hh

@@AgileHumor, I asked @@softworkz to test the dlna server from his 2014 sharp and he tested it with no problem found. It showed up on the Sharp, and he was able to play videos, music and photos. There were a couple sporadic video failures, which we'll easily handle via the creation of a custom profile for Sharp TV's. But the core function of the TV discovering the server and displaying content worked perfectly.

So plz ask someone with an Android based TV to test it.

If this works, then i promise i will never bother you again with this topic.

Edited by josch.hh

AgileHumor

I'll see if there is something on the TV.  Mine was a 2013 model (I think).

Will take a few days...recovering from some surgery.

AgileHumor

@@Luke, DLNA works to the Sharp TV from Windows (screenshot in previous post), Android, and Plex.

Emby has never shown the Sharp TV in the list.

Do I need to create a DLNA profile before it will show?  I thought it might just have playback issues without a profile...but discovery would show it. 

If it's not showing at all it's probably not profile related, but i can't say for sure without being able to personally test on a sharp.

• 11 months later...

any news about Phillips Androide Tv???  is still not working.

Can you please describe what not working means, just so that we can have more up to date information? thanks.

josch.hh

Can you please describe what not working means, just so that we can have more up to date information? thanks.

Read this thread and you will know.

josch.hh

any news about Phillips Androide Tv???  is still not working.

Use Serviio... or any other DLNA server. All are working with Phillips Androide TV.