Audio and Subtitle Track Labels for MKV Containers

Michael K.
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

The same question would go for any other piece of information about the track that has a field. For instance, why would it have the codec name or number of audio channels, or default/forced.

daedalus

but the embedded title is an additional information, no one asked to remove things

why not use "language (embedded title) (default/forced)"?

something been discernible yet in the opening post

• Like 1

why not use "language (embedded title) (default/forced)"?

Because it is quite likely that would produce overly verbose and redundant information.

This is just like any other custom metadata field.  If you provide an overridden value, that is the value.

• Like 1

Yea now that it's out there let's just see what the community feedback is and then we can go from there. Thanks.

crusher11

I would also like to see the language information return, even if just a parenthetical two-letter code. For example, instead of "Stereo", list a track as "Stereo (en)".

• Like 1

chowbok

I would also like to see the language information return, even if just a parenthetical two-letter code. For example, instead of "Stereo", list a track as "Stereo (en)".

Me too, please. The default should not be assuming that the language is included in the title. The behavior should be the same as VLC, which shows both the title and language tags.

• 2 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

For those who like me didn't realize this is out now (v4.1 update hit apparently), here's where the setting is found:

5cc479e03b4b1_EmbyEnableTrackLabels2.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
cybergrimes

I have a question... there doesn't appear to be a way I can get a subtitle to just plainly say "English"?

as everyone in the thread knows if I name the track "English" and toggle to 'Prefer embedded titles' then I end up with "English English"

likewise I use the generated name I'll always end up with "English (PGSSUB)", "English (DVDSUB)", etc (gibberish title for non-admin users)

I do want to be able to see my tracks labeled "Trivia", "Sing-a-long" and "SDH" but also the plain ones that aren't SDH.

Reconciling that I probably wont get a label of just "English", I'm wondering what other labels you guys are using for a standard non-SDH language track? "Default"? ugh

thanks...

edit:

should it be a feature request to toggle on/off the use of the language tag? like mentioned here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75850-42040-embedded-track-title-display/&do=findComment&comment=768543

Edited by cybergrimes