Audio and Subtitle Track Labels for MKV Containers

Michael K.
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Michael K.

Hello,

Regarding Audio and Subtitle track selection - The tracks are labeled in a way that does not allow me to easily identify the track I want to choose. Is this something that can be improved?

Example for Audio:

I want to listed to alternative audio tracks for Director's Comments or Visually Impaired, but they are labeled as:

'eng - dca - DTS-HD MA - 6 ch (D)  [Firefox]

'eng - ac3 - 640 kbps - 6 ch'  [Firefox]

'fra - ac3 - 640 kbps - 6 ch'  [Firefox]

'spa - ac3 - 640 kbps - 6 ch'  [Firefox]

'eng - DTS 5.1'  [Apple TV]

'eng - Dolby 5.1'   [Apple TV]

'eng - Dolby Stereo'  [Apple TV]

I would be more helpful if the labels looked like this:
English (Theatrical)
English (Director's Comments)
English (Visually Impaired)

French

Spanish

Example for Subtitle:

I want to choose alternative subtitle tracks for different languages and Director's Comments, but they are labeled as:

'eng - pgssub'  [Firefox]

'fra - pgssub'  [Firefox]

'spa - pgssub'  [Firefox]

'eng'  [Apple TV]

'eng'  [Apple TV]

'eng'  [Apple TV]

'spa'  [Apple TV]

'fra'  [Apple TV]

I would be more helpful if the labels looked like this:
English (Normal)
English (Forced)
English (Director's Comments)

French

Spanish

Notes:

• This may not be specific to MKV files, but I am using MKV to test this.
  • I have labeled these tracks using the appropriate flag in MKV for 'Name', but Emby appears to display the flag for 'Language' instead. I double checked the flags in MKVToolNix to make sure the labels are there.
  • I'm used Apple TV and Firefox to test this
  • The experience is not uniform across platforms - notice that labels are different between platforms like Firefox and Apple TV
  • Perhaps if Emby used the 'Name' flag it would be more uniform across all platforms - just an idea

...looking forward to hearing comments about this.

• Like 9

Yes, somewhere there is another request for this.  It is on our radar but impacts every single interface so may take some time.

Michael K.

Great, I'm glad to hear this is in the radar and that other users are interested. I'll assume that there's nothing on my end I can change for the time being, so I will continue to use MKV and label the tracks in the same fashion I'm doing now.

SikSlayer

This is something similar to what I want for chapter names. I'd like to see chapter names (when available) appear when switching.

• Like 2

This will be in the upcoming server release. We're not going to re-probe existing videos though, so it will require manually refreshing titles.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Michael K.

I can confirm that this update is working and the subtitle track and audio track labels look good in the Firefox browser.

The update is not reflected on the Apple TV app, so I posted a feature request here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35160-support-media-track-display-titles-for-apple-tv-app/

Instructions for users:

You will not be able to see this update immediately after updating the server, because the media files must be re-probed by Emby server first.

To re-probe the media files, the user must remove the media library from Emby and then recreate the media library.

To label the track names in MKV containers, the user can set their desired label using the track's 'Name' element/property/flag.

• 1 year later...
Michael K.

Hello @@Luke,

It seems this feature is not working for me in Firefox, nor Apple TV. When I view the audio or subtitle tracks I don't see the labels lile before. Please advise, thanks.

We will be bringing this back with a setting. I think it was a mistake to make it default behavior because unless you are manually curating your track titles, they are not going to look good.

• Like 5

Michael K.

That makes sense. Looking forward to it - all my track titles are manually curated. Thanks!

Edited by Michael K.

andyblac644

thanks, I am pretty OCD and I go through all my media and add correct labels so this will be great from me  :)

• 5 months later...
ShoutingMan

Any status on this feature returning? It's a nuisance now to manually check multiple audio tracks to see if there's a commentary; I liked it much better when I just could look at the options and select "Commentary". Similarly, for debugging it's nice to know if I've got an "Atmos" or "Dolby Digital" or "DTS HD" track being played correctly by my receiver. And I need to check, but I think the Subtitle tracks also lost their labels and need to come back too. Thanks :)

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
schmitty

Hi @@Luke,

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days, and have come up with a possible solution. Have something like an advanced settings dialogue with options to select the display of codec, profile, layout and title... then a setting below the checkboxes to set the order admin wants it displayed. Similar to the fetcher options.

Edited by schmitty
  • Like 2

schmitty

Should I put this as a FR?

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days, and have come up with a possible solution. Have something like an advanced settings dialogue with options to select the display of codec, profile, layout and title... then a setting below the checkboxes to set the order admin wants it displayed. Similar to the fetcher options.

ShoutingMan

Hi @@Luke,

This would be just fine. It's getting close to a year since this wonderful feature was removed, and it's the single most important missing feature for me. :)

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
chowbok

it's the single most important missing feature for me

Yes, me too! It was one of my biggest gripes with Plex as well. Please, if there's anything we can do to get this re-added, let us know.

• Like 4

ShoutingMan

Love the idea of a server option that allows it for all apps. I'm trying out the Nvidia Shield TV version of Emby Theater. It's good in initial check out, and I'd love to be able to see audio track labels and toggle commentaries and etc. :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
ShoutingMan

With the big v4 server update released, I'm hoping there's now time and plans to bring back the audio track labels. I'm using NVidia Shield more as a front end and it would be great to have a server side or client side option to toggle this on. Thanks! :)

Edited by ShoutingMan
  • Like 3

Michael K.

This would be a nice feature to see retun to emby, especially now that the Apple TV has been updated with the new playback engine that allows the user to select audio tracks and subtitles from within playback.

By the way, great job with the new Apple TV app and Server v4. Keep up the good work! We appreciate it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It would also be great to be able to edit the labels in the metadata manager, particularly when using external subtitle files which (naturally) don't have embedded name fields.  I realise this isn't quite the same feature, but it's closely related, I think.