Jump In

fraenhawk

fraenhawk

Running server  3.0.5950.0 and the beta Roku client. I noticed that while my television shows are sorted the same as the web client (ignoring leading The and A), when I use the Jump In feature, it's not. So, when my kids jump in A they get Avatar, but not The Avengers. Jump In T is horrible because it winds up collecting all the shows that should be in other letters. I even tried manually setting the Sort Title on a few shows, stripping the problem prefixes, but that made no difference. I saw the same behavior in Blue Neon as well.

sounds like you modified your system.xml in your /config folder.

<SortReplaceCharacters>
   <string>.</string>
   <string>+</string>
   <string>%</string>
</SortReplaceCharacters>
<SortRemoveCharacters>
  <string>,</string>
  <string>&</string>
  <string>-</string>
  <string>{</string>
  <string>}</string>
  <string>'</string>
</SortRemoveCharacters>
<SortRemoveWords>
  <string>the</string>
  <string>a</string>
  <string>an</string>
</SortRemoveWords>

Are you missing this?

The roku app is working correctly but depends on the parts in code above to work correctly.

You can see below it does include: sortby: "SortName" so this should be working.

Function getTvAlphabetScreenUrl(row as Integer, id as String) as String

letter = id

' URL
    url = GetServerBaseUrl() + "/Users/" + HttpEncode(getGlobalVar("user").Id) + "/Items?recursive=true"

' Query
    query = {
        IncludeItemTypes: "Series"
        fields: "Overview"
        sortby: "SortName"
        sortorder: "Ascending",
        ImageTypeLimit: "1"
    }

...snipped rest...
Edited by speechles

fraenhawk

I haven't ever messed with that xml file, but I will check it to see of those parts are there. However, I can throw another monkey wrench in that idea. There are two series "The Avengers" and "Marvel's Avengers Assemble." The sort name on the latter is "Avengers Assemble" and both show up in the As when browsing all series on the Roku (and web) but if I Jump In to A, as I said, I only have Avatar. Nothing in that XML would cause it to use the full title instead of the sort name. Is it possible this server build could be serving up the wrong metadata element to the Roku?

Yeah, that is weird. I went over the roku api calls checking they all were passing sortname correctly when they should be. I found everything is doing this. On the roku side I cant find an issue that would cause this behavior. So it must be something server side. Not sure what that could be other than altering the system.xml.

I can do testing with you. To make this easier use the blueneon app. Do all items with "the" on front show up in "begins with T" in both movies and TV? If you change the sort order to the opposite (ascending or descending) is it still a problem? If you use search does this show you avenger items correctly?

Trying to see how widespread this behavior is for you. Then we can start blaming things. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

fraenhawk

Okay, I checked the server and my system.xml definitely contains all those sections you referenced. The kids are in bed now and the only Roku is up in their area (my first one, been using HTPCs with EMC everywhere before now) so I'll have to do some more experimenting tomorrow with it.

fraenhawk

Okay, it's only happening to TV Shows, not Movies. Changing the sort order and even the sort by didn't trigger anything. Some more clues though.

I have a show called "The 7D"

It shows up first in the full list of shows because the "The" is being stripped properly and numbers come before letters.

If I Jump In "#", The 7D is the only show -- good, but not expected since other "The" shows are in Jump In "T"

If I Jump In "T", the 7D is the first show -- what? No show should show up in 2 lists.

The problem isn't just the prefix's like The. I think Sort names are completely being ignore with Jump In. My reasoning: There have been two Avengers animated shows. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (take off the The and it should be in the A's) and Marvel's Avengers Assemble. The sort title on the latter is just "Avenger's Assemble." They both show up in the A's when looking at the full list, but the first shows up in the Jump In "T" and the second shows up in the Jump In "M." No prefix to strip on the second so that makes me think it's only retrieving the Title instead of the Sort Title.

59547235feef353c229ca6dfb3538f82.jpg
I do see the problem.

Odd since that functionality is including the "SortName" parameter.

See the code below. The sortname is indeed used on both rows. The sortname works if you include "isFavorite=true". Even If I favorite the walking dead it won't show up in my "Begins with T" favorite row.

The issue is the TV series row (shown in image above) shouldn't contain "the walking dead" in the screen shot above if using the code below.

But it does. \\(O_o)//?? *arrgghhh* *hulk smash* lol

This has to be a bug. Obviously is. So congratulations to @@fraenhawk you have found a future annoyance before others started to mention the same thing in other apps. Bravo. Together we shall overcome. :)

' URL
url = GetServerBaseUrl() + "/Users/" + HttpEncode(getGlobalVar("user").Id) + "/Items?recursive=true"

' Query
query = {
IncludeItemTypes: "Series"
fields: "Overview"
sortby: "SortName"
sortorder: "Ascending",
ImageTypeLimit: "1"
}

if m.parentId <> invalid then query.parentId = m.parentId

if row = 0 then
if letter = "#" then
filters = {
NameLessThan: "a"
}
else
filters = {
NameStartsWith: letter
}
end if
else
if letter = "#" then
filters = {
NameLessThan: "a"
isFavorite: "true"
}
else
filters = {
NameStartsWith: letter
isFavorite: "true"
}
end if
end if

@@Luke Just making sure you are aware of the bug above. Movies respects sortname, TV Series does not.

Here is a screen shot illustrate the issue inversely.
62d983ad9dc64f698513d91e49ac8360.jpg

If "the walking dead" is in my favorites row, it should exist in the top row too. In this case between "wahlburgers" and "walter lance's woody woodpecker".

Anyone else see this issue in other clients too?

Edited by speechles

@@Luke An odd side effect, if you add "isfavorite=false" to the query then it works and shows which start with "the" in them dont appear. Problem is, the shows that start with "the" dont appear anywhere. They become ghosts. The walking dead isnt found under T or W. This one is strange. Do you know what causes this bug in the api?

Edited by speechles

bug in the app or server?

Bug in the server/API, see the few posts above. It is reproduceable, and inversely reproduceable. I posted screens of the app showing the issue.

do you see the same issues in the web client?

Web Client

http://192.168.1.249:8096/emby/Users/ea4b2d910d8e4049a2f3b20c2ca789d1/Items?SortBy=SortName&SortOrder=Ascending&IncludeItemTypes=Series&Recursive=true&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CSortName%2CSyncInfo&ImageTypeLimit=1&EnableImageTypes=Primary%2CBackdrop%2CBanner%2CThumb&StartIndex=0&Limit=100&ParentId=43b0977c634742fb935233f7a81f3215

Roku

http://192.168.1.249:8096/emby/Users/ea4b2d910d8e4049a2f3b20c2ca789d1/Items?SortBy=SortName&includeitemtypes=Series&sortorder=Ascending&namestartswith=t&recursive=True&fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CSortName%2CSyncInfo%2COverview&imagetypelimit=1&parentid=43b0977c634742fb935233f7a81f3215

The web client isnt using the NameStartsWith parameter. It is sorting to the T's within itself. Not having the API call do this and return just the T's.

So yes, there is a bug, it is in the server, and has to do with the NameStartsWith parameter when the isfavorite=true isn't set.

Edited by speechles

fraenhawk

The web interface doesn't have an equivalent feature to jump in, the letters on the side only jump you to that place in the alphabet, not filter. Theater is the same. I'm not sure any client other than Roku has a "filter by first letter" option.

Ok, looking into that, thanks.

Have you had any time to spend on finding the cause of this?

This does make browsing the T's in TV series harder with all those "the" titles mixed in. Hoping this is a quick and easy one to fix. *crosses fingers*

Happy2Play

Are you still seeing this issue?  I am not seeing it on 3.0.5957.0.

Nice work!!! I should update then eh? Of course!

Thanks for the priority put on this. After I update and run some tests, I will have a new roku build (blueneon) which includes a few bug fixes and the favorites row added to channel screens.