Cannot Login to Emby Connect while on mobile network

antonypbell

Revan.Tiberius

Update,

I've just replaced the version of Emby downloaded via the play store with the version directly from the Emby site and it is working correctly now.  Both are version 2.6.64, however there appears to be something different.

Sharing,

Michael

Interesting, thanks for the info. Did you uninstall first by chance?

• 4 weeks later...
AgileHumor

Ok, I think I've figured this out.  About 2 weeks ago my 8 external users all could no longer connect.  I use internally so thought a reboot would fix it.

Long story short, nothing I did could get http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to show a connection to 8096 or 443 (SSL Emby Port)

The only explanation of this is AT&T is blocking ports when I resetup the port forwarding that was working so well.  I restup to no avail.  Then, I setup a new port on Emby and http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ worked the first time.

Now I use a random port and that worked (just can't reuse what you we're using as it's blocked).

Since they blocked port 443 (SSL) port, my only guess is it's based on traffic and not content.

Anyone else having this issue NOT on AT&T?  I'm specifically asking if it worked and then suddenly stopped (not first time setups).

PS - @@Luke, you need to update the error message.  The username and password was fine in the app (said it wasn't).  Instead, the server port was inaccessible (should say can't connect to server or something)....but showed an error related to wrong credentials.

Edited by AgileHumor

I am having the same problem can not access unless home on wireless i can sign in to emby connnect it shows my server but says can not connnect now try later my port are open in router and windows i am on T Mobil

I went to the port check site and it said 8096 closed but 443 open how can i change 8096 to 443

Edited by JMR

revengineer

I have seen that at&t blocks the default emby ports. Maybe not everywhere but certainly in some locations. When I use a vpn client with the data connection it works without problems.

• 1 month later...

I've been having this issue as well for awhile now, just switched to manually connect to the server using the server URL instead of going through Emby Connect.  I'm on AT&T so suspect from this thread that AT&T is blocking the port from app.emby.media as i can't connect via App or Chrome browser using Emby Connect / Forum credentials. 

Anyone have a work around?  I'll call AT&T at some point.

It's not a huge deal considering i can manually connect through the App to my server, but kind of a pain to have to update multiple devices when FIOS recycles my IP every 90 or 100 days or whatever schedule they are on.

I've been having this issue as well for awhile now, just switched to manually connect to the server using the server URL instead of going through Emby Connect.  I'm on AT&T so suspect from this thread that AT&T is blocking the port from app.emby.media as i can't connect via App or Chrome browser using Emby Connect / Forum credentials. 

Anyone have a work around?  I'll call AT&T at some point.

It's not a huge deal considering i can manually connect through the App to my server, but kind of a pain to have to update multiple devices when FIOS recycles my IP every 90 or 100 days or whatever schedule they are on.

It's actually the same port whether you use app.emby.media or your local web client. In other words, it doesn't change the way it connects to your server.

Guest asrequested

I can report that I have since switched to Verizon and I no longer have any trouble connecting. It does look like there's an issue with AT&T.

• Like 1

It's actually the same port whether you use app.emby.media or your local web client. In other words, it doesn't change the way it connects to your server.

Luke my point is that i don't think this is an app issue but something to do with AT&T in my case. That's the only explanation that I can find since all else works except when i go through Emby Connect (while connected via carrier data, works fine on WiFi networks).

what if you try a different public port? so go to dashboard -> advanced -> hosting. then pick a different public port (not local server port), then restart.

• Like 1

AgileHumor

@Kent  I have the same experience and had to move away from logging into Emby Connect as my hone internet/server uses AT&T. 

I use local Emby user accounts.

Personally, I just don't feel like explaining to AT&T that Plex or Emby is not IPTV.

PS - @@Luke, I still get an error of a bad password.  There should be a better error message when password not the issue.

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 1

If someone can confirm that a different port works we can always adjust by having new installations choose a random port rather than hard-coded 8096. It will make documentation a little more of a pain but if it makes things work then it will be worth it.

what if you try a different public port? so go to dashboard -> advanced -> hosting. then pick a different public port (not local server port), then restart.

That actually worked! Changed the Public HTTP port to 8098, saved and tried again and no problems now.  :)

Bah forgot to turn off wifi argh, changing the port didn't work.

Third Edit: Strike all that. The port change hasn't taken effect yet.  I'll have to recycle services and see if the port change takes effect before testing. My wife is on the server now watching Game of Thrones (yes she just discovered it recently haha).  Will make sure the port change takes effect and retest and report back tomorrow.

Edited by Kent

ok port change to 8098 is up and running and testing via AT&T carrier data via manual Emby App and chrome connection, no issues.

Trying through Emby Connect either App or Chrome, i get the same issue. So no good with the port change.

It's possible that Emby Connect still has the old port, it may start working if you try again later. But that is very interesting about the port. Thanks for confirming.

AgileHumor

@@Luke, eventually they opened 8096 back up. I think it's using some auto detection.

However, emby connect still does not work remotely for some reason at the same time my emby default ports were blocked.

I just switched ports and only publish ssl (except for testing 8096 again just recently)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Fratopolis

meaning they are blocking any connections to emby through https

not sure how they are allowed to get away with this. may have to call them myself.

Edited by Fratopolis

I have a similar port blocking issue with my work wireless, they block all but Ports 80 and 443. I had thought about changing the default port to 443, but found that if I use the free VPN from Opera for Android "Opera VPN" this solves the issue! 

Give it a go (or equivalent VPN), I'm sure it will fool AT&Ts port blockers.