Cannot Login to Emby Connect while on mobile network

antonypbell

antonypbell

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic.

I have been having a problem for a few weeks now where I cannot login to Emby Connect when I am on a mobile data network. When I am at home on my network or at a friend's house on their network I am able to login with no problems. But if I turn wireless off on my phone and connect to the phone's data network, I cannot login. The problem is the same if I try to login to Emby Connect via a web browser also.

antonypbell

I have more information, but the problem seems to be a strange one. I have the Emby App installed on my wife's phone and on my phone. Both are Android. My wife's phone is not having any problems. I thought maybe it had something to do with my phone, but I got a new and different type of Android phone this weekend, and it is having the same problem.

The problem is that if I turn wireless off on my phone and connect to the mobile data network, my Emby App will not authenticate. Also, I cannot even come to this website via a web browser and login from my phone when I am on the data network. I get the error Invalid username or password. As soon as I turn wireless back on, everything is fine.

I have more information, but the problem seems to be a strange one. I have the Emby App installed on my wife's phone and on my phone. Both are Android. My wife's phone is not having any problems. I thought maybe it had something to do with my phone, but I got a new and different type of Android phone this weekend, and it is having the same problem.

The problem is that if I turn wireless off on my phone and connect to the mobile data network, my Emby App will not authenticate. Also, I cannot even come to this website via a web browser and login from my phone when I am on the data network. I get the error Invalid username or password. As soon as I turn wireless back on, everything is fine.

Hi, welcome. Please try the steps that Ebr listed in post #2. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

antonypbell

Hi Luke. I have read tons of your posts. Thanks for all the hard work. My problem doesn't have anything to do with connecting to my server. Once I can authenticate with Emby Connect I have no problem accessing my server locally or remotely. My problem is I cannot authenticate unless my phone is on a wireless connection and not the phone's data network...

You still haven't told us exactly what "can't authenticate" means.

In order for us to help, we need to know exactly what you are doing and exactly what happens.

Although, it sounds like your issue may be more global than Emby...

antonypbell

Hello ebr. Thanks.

OK. I turn wireless on my phone off. I open my Emby App. That opens up the "Welcome to Emby" Screen. I press the next button. This brings me to the "Sign in with Emby Connect" screen. From here I am unable to login. I turn wireless back on and I am able to login. If I leave wireless turned on and reopen the Emby App, I do not have to login again; Emby simply opens up to my home screen. If I close my Emby app and then turn my wireless off again and then launch my Emby app again I get the the "Welcome to Emby" screen again and cannot login. Believe me I know this sounds strange.

If my wireless is turned off and I open Chrome on my phone and browse to this website I am unable to login. If I turn my wireless back on and browse to this site I am able to login.

Okay, but what, exactly (messages that appear, things the app does, etc.), happens when you are "unable to log in".

Think like you are talking to a blind person - because you are... ;).

antonypbell

If my phone is connected to its data network and I try to login on my Emby app or this website, I get the message "Invalid username or password. Please try again." When I turn my wireless back on and connect to any wireless network with my phone I am able to login ok.... This problem started a few weeks ago. I figured it was a temporary glitch.

My work around is before I leave the house or work, I open Emby while I am still connected to a wireless network, then when I leave the house or work the app will continue to work fine. If I forget to do this and I am somewhere with no WiFi and I am on the phone's data network I cannot login. I am then stuck in an endless loop of trying to login and getting the message "Invalid username or password. Please try again.". Not until I am back on a wireless network and then everything is fine...

Edited by antonypbell

Does your server force https for external connections?  Or, perhaps has your ISP switched to IPv6...?

Also are you possibly getting tripped up between Emby Connect and connecting to your local server? If you choose to sign in with Connect, you use your internet credentials - the forum username/password. But if you're just manually connecting to your local server, then you use your local Emby Server username and password. It just depends on which method you choose.

You can learn more about that on our user wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

antonypbell

Hi Luke. Thanks for the reply. I always choose to sign in with Connect and my internet credentials. I rarely use Emby for streaming when I am home. I almost always use it when I am away from home.

I do understand the difference. That did trip me up a little when I first started using Emby but thanks to these forums it didn't trip me up long. I know this is a strange problem. I am not really expecting an answer. I've been keeping an eye on the forums since this problem started a few weeks ago hoping to see someone else having this issue. But I haven't. I was just hoping you guys or someone else might have seen something like this before. It almost seems like my phone carrier is blocking it somehow, but my wife and I are on the same carrier and she has no problems. And like I said previously I just got a new phone a few days ago and the problem persisted.

Edited by antonypbell

Guest asrequested

I just stared having this problem. My port forwarding is correct. When in network it works correctly, but when out of network on my AT&T network, it won't log in and gives the same response above mentioned. If I manually log in using my external IP address, it works fine. I can connect in every way except Emby Connect. I've tried re-registering my email account, reset my password and it won't accept my username and password when trying to connect on my phone. It was working previously. I tested my username and password in my computer browser and it accepts it, but not on my phone. 

Edited by Doofus

make sure that you're using your emby connect (forum) password, and not one from a local user.

Guest asrequested

make sure that you're using your emby connect (forum) password, and not one from a local user.

I've tried every combination. With both usernames, email address, reset the password. I know they work, because I logged out of the forum and logged back in to test them. The android app just won't accept them.

Guest asrequested

what non-alpha numeric chars does it contain, if any?

None, all letters no numbers

Either you're entering the wrong password or your device is just unable to reach our api host for whatever reason (not the same as the forum). It's a generic error message so it could just be a connection failure as well.

Guest asrequested

Either you're entering the wrong password or your device is just unable to reach our api host for whatever reason (not the same as the forum). It's a generic error message so it could just be a connection failure as well.

Well, I guess I'll just have to use the remote access IP. That works just fine.

Revan.Tiberius

Same problem here.  I'm on AT&T wireless and when using my cellular connection I can not login to the Emby application or app.emby.media via firefox on my phone.

I've tried changing my password with no luck.  I've cleared the data and cache with no luck.

When connected to a wireless connection on my phone from inside my house and from outside (at work) I have no issues connecting.  I also have no problem connecting from my work cell which is on Verizon.

The Emby application version on both phones is 2.6.64.

The error is "Invalid username or password.  Please try again."  I'm sure I'm not inputting the username or password incorrectly, as I've both typed them and used lastpass to input them.

Once I'm logged in, I can disconnect from wireless and stream without issues over the cellular network.

Michael

Same problem here.  I'm on AT&T wireless and when using my cellular connection I can not login to the Emby application or app.emby.media via firefox on my phone.

I've tried changing my password with no luck.  I've cleared the data and cache with no luck.

When connected to a wireless connection on my phone from inside my house and from outside (at work) I have no issues connecting.  I also have no problem connecting from my work cell which is on Verizon.

The Emby application version on both phones is 2.6.64.

The error is "Invalid username or password.  Please try again."  I'm sure I'm not inputting the username or password incorrectly, as I've both typed them and used lastpass to input them.

Once I'm logged in, I can disconnect from wireless and stream without issues over the cellular network.

Michael

Hi, what login method are you using? Are you signing in with Emby Connect, or a locally managed user?