Audio transcoding to Apple TV 4 not working

JimEmby

JimEmby

Dear Emby team,

Am a big Plex fan but there were some issues with FLAC audio so I tried Emby.

Emby Server installed fine and Apps on Windows PC, iPhone and Apple TV 4 as well. However, when I wanted to stream FLAC audio files, it didn't work on the Apple TV 4. What happens is

1. The artist image comes up like it would with an mp3 but no sound
  2. No time bar at the bottom of the screen.

Waiting didn't help. Next, I tried WMA files. Same issue exactly. Only mp3 plays fine.

Is this a known issue or do I have something wrong?

Some more info:

1. I installed with all standard settings, no changes. When transcoding didn't happen, I started to make changes (# processors etc.) but at no avail.
  2. On the Windows client, the FLACs play fine using the "free 1 minute" option.

Thanks

Please re-start the Apple TV app by either using the option in the user menu or using the device feature to force-close it and try your audio file again.  Thanks.

JimEmby

Yes, but it's literally every FLAC and WMA file so not one specific file that doesn't play. So does this make sense?

Also, I was wondering, do I need to unlock the app on my iPhone in order to play such files on the Apple TV 4 app? Could that be the issue?

Sounds like you have a deeper problem than the app.

Please post a transcode log from when you attempt to play something.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
JimEmby

Hi ebr, Sorry for the slow response but I had trouble locating the log and then gave up but am back to try and make this work; hope you can find what's wrong from these logs (attached 2 just in case one tells you something more than the other...). Thank you.

Edited by JimEmby

Okay, Luke, looks like opus is no good either.  Should we go to mp3...?

JimEmby

Is opus something I need to install in addition to Emby? All MP3's play fine but 75% of my music is FLAC so, no, don't want to go there.

Who's Luke?

JimEmby

Interesting: if I access the Emby Server with my Apple TV 4 through UPnP using either the 8Player or VLC app, everything plays perfectly, FLAC included.

So the issue seems to be the Emby app for tvOS.

I deleted and reinstalled it but that did not help. Any suggestions?

Edited by JimEmby

Sorry, just haven't had time to do any more tests here yet.  Will soon.

@@legallink don't you have .flac audio working with this app..?

legallink

I did. I haven't checked recently. I return home later this week and will give it a spin. But in previous versions it worked/worsk

JimEmby

Seems like a generic issue and not one with my setup. Hope it'll be fixed in the next release. Will keep looking for the blue upgrade dot underneath the Emby app! Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
JimEmby

Dear @@ebr and legallink, When do you expect any progress on this, i.e. the updated ATV 4 app that will play FLAC & co?

JimEmby

FYI - Yesterday there was an update to the Emby app on my ATV4. When I saw it, I tried to play a FLAC file but unfortunately still the same.

JimEmby

@@ebr - I did restart server and app and... Yes, it works!

To be precise, Flac plays well, no glitches, no problems. However, the progress bar and the ability to jump back- and forth within a song do not work yet. So we're almost there. I'm sure this last detail will follow soon. Thanks. Will keep feeding back.