Extreme Memory Leak

Koleckai Silvestri

Just wanted to give an update. I continue to get the warning messages from Windows daily, but I haven't gotten the "Insufficient memory" error that caused MBServer to close.

what version?

• 4 weeks later...

Also, is there more info somewhere about the dev group you mentioned?

He meant consider joining the dev team and contributing to the project.

Bumping again - still getting the low memory message from Windows 8.1 on version 3.0.5192.19560. Also, is there more info somewhere about the dev group you mentioned?

a lot of work has been done and memory usage has dropped, so we'll need to start over with new logs, description of what you were doing, etc. But it's still ongoing so there's always room for more improvement.

Luke - I just have the MBS process running 24/7 (not as a service) on my HTPC, with the restart plugin set to trigger at 3:45am daily.  I have two drives of media, about 1.3TB on each. I average about one new media file per day, with an occasional day with none or several. Sometimes I restart the PC for maintenance, but typically I just let MBS run and rarely touch it. If I can capture a log that you think might be helpful, just let me know. 

ebr - I was just curious if there is a dev resource somewhere to get a better understanding of how this project is run (and I don't see where the source is available). If I were to contribute, it would have to be sporadic. You would likely not hear from me for a while and then one day get a pull request. I know some projects don't care for that.

-W

• 4 months later...
JeremyFr79

Sorry I'm going to have to bump this thread as it seems to be closest in relation to my issue.

I'm running MB3 Server on a dedicated server running Server 2008R2, running MB Server Ver. 3.0.5326.13255

Machine is a Xeon 3000 Series Quad Core with 8GB of Ram, and Currently 13TB of storage.

Client Machine is a Win7X64 Box with a Q9300 and 4GB of Ram Running Client Ver. 3.0.196.0 7-19.1

Client streams to 2 Xbox360's (only one at a time at any given time)

Problem I have is, while watching many movies I'll get a sudden "stop" in play where the audio usually continues to play fine but the video is running at 1-2FPS (I'm using Shark Codecs since they are the only ones I seem to be able to use that don't transcode to the 360)

Anyways During these times of sudden playback issues I can log into my server and the memory is maxed out, under task manager MB3 will show 500 or so MB in use and no other app/process is showing that it's using the rest of the memory.  

Even After stopping playback and closing the Server out completely through task manager the memory is still in use until I physically restart the actual Server.

JeremyFr79

p.s. I am not using any ISO's in my library unlike other users in this thread.

JeremyFr79

Before I performed a restart of the server, I restarted the MBServer software, it installed an update and the memory immediately freed up at that time, Though it's not fixed that does show to me it's definitely MB Server or a component it uses eating up the memory on my server.

• 3 weeks later...

Has any progress been made on the memory issue? I recently updated to the latest versions of MB Server and the Classic Client, and I still get warnings from Windows regularly about being low on memory.  Based on other comments in this thread, I also removed any folders containing ISOs from my media library, but that didn't seem to help.

Let me know if you want me to start a new thread...

MB Server v. 3.0.5340.21263

MB Classic v. 3.0.196.0 7-19.1 (I don't think this has anything to do with the client)

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center

Intel D54250WYK 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD (C:)

Media library storage on 2x2TB external HDDs via USB (D: and E:)

The main symptom I get is frequent messages from Windows: "Close programs to prevent information loss/Your computer is low on memory..." I've never actually caught one of these messages popping up - they are already there when I turn on the display (or connect remotely with RDC).

I double checked Windows' virtual memory settings. It's still on the default setting to set to automatically manage the page file on C: (which it has set to 18GB), and there are no page files on the external D: or E: drives

This is my Windows Event log for the "Resource Exhaustion Detector" that evidently is responsible for tracking these issues and I assume is what triggers the low memory message dialogs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69348464/Resource-exhaustion-events.txt

These are a few MB Server logs that should overlap with a few days of low memory warnings. These are the default/non-debug-level logs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69348464/server-63544003200.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69348464/server-63543979737.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69348464/server-63543930300.txt

Let me know if I can provide more information.

I had similar issue and traced it back to my windows 8.1 x64 system SSD (60 GB) that was running low on space. I decided to move the MBS Cache files to my Storage server and al problems wend away, including MBS consuming a lot of memory. It is almost like the lack of Space for the Cache causes a memory leak..

And I really can not see any noticeable speed differences for moving the cache from a SSD to a RAID5 system

More than likely it was a lack of space for Windows virtual memory since that is managed dynamically and your user files would have taken precedence I'm sure.

But, that's a good point and something watx should try.

Happy2Play

Can you post one of the warning events?  (Open an event-details-xml view)

The SSD has plenty of room: 53GB free of 111GB.

Here is one of the events. Not very illuminating:  

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion-Detector" Guid="{9988748E-C2E8-4054-85F6-0C3E1CAD2470}" /> 
  <EventID>1003</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>2</Task> 
  <Opcode>22</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x4000000020000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-18T21:19:49.533343200Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1142</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation ActivityID="{8763DE0F-C5F0-4EEE-90EE-C58457C2199B}" /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="620" ThreadID="2108" /> 
  <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion-Detector/Operational</Channel> 
  <Computer>HTNUC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
  <UserData>
  <CommitLimitExhaustion xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Resource/Exhaustion/Detector/Events">
  <SystemCommitLimit>34284339200</SystemCommitLimit> 
  <SystemCommitCharge>34192101376</SystemCommitCharge> 
  </CommitLimitExhaustion>
  </UserData>
  </Event>

Also, I have been doing more digging into this issue, and it's possible MB Server is a red herring (and Windows only pointed it out because it happened to be running?), and this could be a Windows 8.1 and/or Intel problem.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/48334

https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22579

There are several recommendations I have queued up now that I will have to get to: install new graphics driver, flash new BIOS, install Windows "optional" updates.

JeremyFr79

Update: I'm now more convinced that this is a problem with Windows 8.1 and some (seems to be all Intel) GPUs. Evidently, Intel engineering has confirmed it's a Microsoft issue (shocker!)...https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22579

Thanks for the help troubleshooting. 

Still doesn't explain my issue of massive memory usage while playing back on a 360 extender that goes away once playback is stopped.  This is running on a Full Blown server box (read rack mount unit enterprise grade server not some custom built pc turned into a server)  Server has a dedicated server graphics chip (ATI with 16MB of memory)  It SEEMS as though this may be something in relation to transcoding (which I really wish there was a way to globally disable or at least disable for locally connected clients)  What really has me stumped is the server shouldn't be doing any transcoding for a 360 extender the WMC machine (which is a seperate dedicated machine in my environment) should be doing that work for the 360 anyways which is why I can't understand why playback on a 360 would be effecting the server in any way.  The server should be simply sending the data to the WMC  machine which should then do any transcoding etc that may or may not be required by the 360.

WMC does not automatically transcode for the 360.  There are only a few fully supported formats on that box.

...I can't understand why playback on a 360 would be effecting the server in any way.  The server should be simply sending the data to the WMC  machine which should then do any transcoding etc that may or may not be required by the 360.

Just to reiterate what ebr said.  Extenders are especially limited, but WMC does not automatically transcode because it does not transcode at all, ever. Your increased server load is because MB Server has to do the transcoding.

Edited by watx

• 3 months later...
JeremyFr79

Just to reiterate what ebr said.  Extenders are especially limited, but WMC does not automatically transcode because it does not transcode at all, ever. Your increased server load is because MB Server has to do the transcoding.

I actually started a new thread in where I believe I found the issue I'm running into titled Memory Usage Issue.  You can see in there the links to what I believe is the underlying issue overall that I'm running into.

Edited by JeremyFr79