Extreme Memory Leak

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

I've been running the latest beta for a while and memory hangs around 271.200 Megabytes. Not even sure how a 32-bit program can eat 6 GB of RAM. Could be a plugin though. I only have the Rotten Tomatoes and XBMC Metadata Plugins installed at this time.

Windows 7 Premium, 8 GB Ram, Intel i5 2500K processor (quad-core).

Edited by Wayne Luke

Windows 7 Premium, 8 GB Ram, Intel i5 2500K processor (quad-core).

Not even sure how a 32-bit program can eat 6 GB of RAM.

I have the exact same processor. And I thought it couldn't either.... But it does or I wouldn't be posting this. I realise there is really nothing they can do for an immediate fix other than check into it and fix the issue. Didn't know I needed permission to have a problem and post on the problem forum, either. Please polite and not condesending. I'm not an idiot and run minimal things on my pc. Wanted to bring it to attention.

Seems to be a little bit better now, its running but I took out the folders it searches. I think it is related to indexing new files. Running closer to what you posted. I'll leave them disabled I guess till another version comes out and try that instead.

Redshirt

I'd leave the topic unsolved until your sure it's not happening. As Wayne Luke said, it may be a plugin. I'd like to know what plugins you have installed so we can keep an eye out for this situation again. 

Koleckai Silvestri

My first indexing took about half an hour. Didn't really check memory during that time but the hard drives were really working it. I have all the metadata stored with my movies and it still took time checking the different sites. Some of the inquiries would take 20-25 seconds per movie.

I have the exact same processor. And I thought it couldn't either.... But it does or I wouldn't be posting this. I realise there is really nothing they can do for an immediate fix other than check into it and fix the issue. Didn't know I needed permission to have a problem and post on the problem forum, either. Please polite and not condesending. I'm not an idiot and run minimal things on my pc. Wanted to bring it to attention.

Seems to be a little bit better now, its running but I took out the folders it searches. I think it is related to indexing new files. Running closer to what you posted. I'll leave them disabled I guess till another version comes out and try that instead.

what plugins do you have installed?

I'm hoping I'm in the right place to post this issue.

Win 7 Ultimate x64

8g Ram

Intel Core i5 Processor

Media Browser Server Version: 3.0.5105.17830

-MB dashboard says there are no connected clients

-Unsure if this is related to library refreshing or not

I'm having a huge memory leak with your program eating all of my ram. I kept getting "out of memory" errors in windows and figured it wasn't a huge issue at the moment. Got sick of it and went to check what was eating all of my memory. I was surprised to see it was MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe 6G ram? Really?

I've recently upgraded to the new Media Browser after seeing how awesome the GUI is on my devices. I was a huge fan of the old one. Considering going back and just waiting it out to see if this issue is resolved. This issue does not resolve when restarting the program. It will resolve when I kill or uninstall your program (obviously, lol). Breifly fixes if I reboot, then a short while later it is sky high again. Is there a way to stop this from scanning all the directories I have added (only three) to determine if this is related to refreshing. After it's done refreshing, this ram usage does not go down.

No plugins...Just vanilla Media Browser 3 and ios 7 client connected. (unconnected it does this as well)

Edit: worth it to note the "service" is not running. i have it set to run at startup in the options (not the service, the MB program).

Also to clarify. It is NOT indexing still. I took out the folders to stop it from going and going and going and using the ram. Everything I have in media folders shows up currently if I re-enable the folders. Ive had it for about 5 days now, it's already gone through everything. Assuming it just checks for new items and never shuts that off...

Tempted to go Beta or other builds.

Edited by kayger

Can you confirm a few things - you're saying it went crazy during the initial scan, and now it's operating more or less normally except for the fact that you've had to remove some folders for your library. Is that correct? What kind of folders are they?

Tv Show folders. All three. So now it's effectively doing nothing unless I put them back in. I also did remove MB Classic. This is an upgrade for me. I dont know if that has to do with it.

I can check but it happens over a few hours i'm assuming as when I reboot it hogs the ram after a while, not immediately. I'll post after I do that, it might be tomorrow, i'll try for a pic of the ram usage, etc if i remember and have time. Thanks for trying to narrow it down. I just put the folders back in. Rebooting now to see.

• 3 weeks later...
dmtudder

I have encountered this problem consistently with windows 7 using xbox 360 extender.  I run out of memory at a rate of 1 GB per every 45 minutes.  I have tried several configurations on many machines.  MB Classic and MB3.  The leak I have does not show as part of the MB program space, but the available memory decreases weather I am browsing, watching a movie or doing nothing.  As long as the extender is active, I am losing memory!!

I don't have many options when using xbox 360.  It is all that is available.  Thanks Microsoft!!!!

rigo8582

I can say I've had similar issues as well. I originally had the server running on my HTPC which is a 2500K with 8GB of RAM. It would show in task manager that it was using 271MB but my system would be idle at 6GB being used. If I killed the task it wouldn't free up the memory. I could restart and after a few hours it go back using alot of RAM.

Eventually I moved the server to run on a different machine a Pentium G2020 with 4GB of ram. After its been running for a day or I "out of memory" errors.

The only plugins I run is Gamebrowser and all my media is ISOs or Roms.

The only plugins I run is Gamebrowser and all my media is ISOs or Roms.

I wonder if our 3rd-party ISO solution has a memory leak...

Redshirt

Most the emulators have internal mounters. GB doesn't do anything on MBC until you launch a game. At least I don't think so. Is there log activity?

It is on the server and I'm more thinking the ISOs than the games.  The server will attempt to interrogate every one of the ISOs using a 3rd party program.  Since the server specifically does not appear to be using the memory, I was thinking maybe it is Pismo...

Redshirt

Ah OK. I think our Iso mounter was ignoring games as well.

Edited by Redshirt

dmtudder

Pardon me for venting a little, but once again the user interface has been updated and isn't it pretty, but I still have to reboot after each movie because no one has bothered to fix the memory problem.  It shouldn't be that hard.  Search for every alloc statement and modify your memory scheme to a static one. Reuse the same buffers.  It's that simple.  If you need me to develop a class or procedures or whatever.  Let me know what development platform your using and ill hook you up.....

Sure does look pretty tho..

I also wondering why memory of Media Browser service when is up ans running for the first time is around 540,800k and after many hours it may drop to 200,000k and other times it get stuck to 540 no matter what.

Is it build in order to consume so much memory and what cause the drop memory sometimes?

dmtudder

Without getting too involved... 

Memory must be created to manage the menus and processing for the MB.  On start-up,  All of the one time initialization routines are loaded into memory; executed and then they are freed because they are no longer needed.  This is done by the compiler of the development platform and is not the problem here.

The problem the Browser service is having involves the management of memory during it's normal operations.  Network communications; menu switching; context switching; and so on......  A typical memory leak is when memory is allocated, but then lost such as:

buf = alloc();

if (cond) then buf = null;

dealloc (buf);

Here's a typical "dangling pointer" that is never released..  I said I wasn't going to get too involved.. gotta work....bye

We are written in managed code (c#) so we don't manage our memory directly at the level you are talking about.

Do you have primarily ISOs in your collection by any chance?

dmtudder

That's exactly my point.  This problem can be replicated.  It happens all the time for me.  I have a basic win7/WMC/MB/360wmp setup.  I just rebuilt this setup and it's virgin.  I've noticed that memory loss occurs whenever extender is active, but seems to leak faster when browsing (not playing).  

There may be a disconnect in the way your memory (or class mgmt) is being performed and the way your dev platform is expecting it.  It's really hard to trouble-shoot in theory.  I would change (for debugging purposes) my managed style of programming; a little at a time; to an unmanged and static methodology and use some case tools developed for the NET arch. to narrow the search.

If your ISOs don't allow you to stay in that framework, you can certainly use the results to pinpoint the problem...

Good Luck.

Honestly I've always had a memory leak with extenders in WMC. And that is with NEVER opening up MBC inside of the extender. It to me has always just been a problem with extenders themselves and WMC.