Recorded TV

billybob
Go to solution Solved by billybob,

billybob

I have a NOW TV box with MB side loaded and I would like to add my recorded TV library. I tried adding an additional library section so that I had movies, TV and Recorded TV. This shows up fine in http clients but not in the Now TV menu. I also tried adding the location of the recorded TV to the existing TV library but the shows don't appear in the Now TV that way either.

Does this mean it doesn't play MPEG2 TS video files at all?

Otherwise MB3 was getting close to the perfect answer.

Have you added them to your MB library? If so, recorded TV would then probably just be a collection below. Make sure the MB server is picking up the shows properly. If it isn't then the roku channel can't.

And no, the Roku won't play MPEG2 TS video files directly. It would have to transcode those, but assume they work on the server it should still play.

billybob

Yes I added the location of recorded TV to the mb server library in the ways described. In both cases web clients pick up the shows fine. But the roku/now TV box doesn't show anything at all. I can't seem to find any settings that could be changed.

Can you show me some screenshots of your collection from the web client? Is it picking it up as TV or not?

billybob

Sorry can't do screenshots right now. Yes the web clients are showing recorded tv in the collection. When I added it to the library I marked it as TV. The files are playing fine when I click on them.

Well without seeing how it is setup and structured in the web client I'm not sure I can help much. Do you see the collection in the collection list on the roku? If so, when you click on it what happens?

billybob

No, when i added a recorded TV library collection to the mb server it did not display in the roku. The roku just displayed the existing 2 collections, Movies and TV. It did show up as an additional collection, alongside Movies and TV, on PC based web clients.

So just to make sure that I hadn't missed any settings to allow the roku to display additional collections I got rid of the recorded TV collection from the server and instead added the recorded TV folder to the TV collection that was already there. Hence the recorded TV files were mixed in with my TV series. These displayed as expected in the TV collection on the web clients and the recorded shows play fine. When I checked the TV collection on the roku nothing had been added. I did make sure that the roku was picking up changes to the library by deleting a couple of TV shows just to see that the library updated Ok.

I think your confusing Views (Movie, TV, Music) with Collections / Media Folders. The top 3 here are views. They basically combine the types into one folder. The bottom portion are your individual collections you setup within MB.

52c1fe1a86947_Image1.jpg

The top 3 within the Roku client are views. They show the combination of all movies in the movie view, all tv shows in the tv view and all music in the music view. Then below that are the individual collections.

billybob

post-1834-0-65573800-1388446584_thumb.pngpost-1834-0-51236300-1388446616_thumb.png

Hope these display. Here is setup as described in second case. Just added recorded TV location to TV library. The recorded shows are the ones without images. They display in web clients and play. They do not appear at all in the roku interface. But all the ones with images do still appear in the roku interface.

I'm guessing they aren't being picked up as TV shows or they would have images on the server too. The Roku will have a "Collections" area with both your "Movies" and "TV" collections on it. By default it is below the movie and tv view near the bottom on the home screen. Click on TV and see if it shows up there.

billybob

No does not show up in TV. Any idea how I make the server pick them up as TV? Although the titles are random so I wouldn't expect any metadata or images to be created. Is it my imagination or was there a setting to use the first frame as an image if metadata wasnt found. I am pretty sure I had that on. That might have been plex though.

More then likely it is the structure that the files are in are unsupported. So it either needs to be put into a folder structure that is supported or you need to flag that folder as something else like Home Videos or something so it would let you just pick through folders and find things to play.

billybob

But if it was the structure of the files why are the web clients displaying the library and playing the files. This is all about the Roku, isn't it?

Is there anyone who is successfully playing recorded TV on a Roku that can tell me how please?

Well the server is just treating them it looks like as a folder. If you show me a screenshot of your folder structure I can take a look. Really if you navigate through the collection folder instead of the tv view on the Roku it might work.

billybob

I didn't have the collection view on the Roku and couldn't understand why. I then noticed you have 1.16.5 beta available so loaded that on and hey presto the collection view appears along with all the recorded TV files where they should be.

I was quite excited until I discovered that the recorded TV files don't play. I get the screen that looks hopeful with the message "retrieving" but then it just goes back to the play screen. The recorded TV tiles still have no pictures but I would expect that as they have random names.

Is there a way of forcing some kind of transcoding options to the Roku? Remember the recorded TV still plays fine on a web client on my windows computers.

Or should I be using a different version of the software? Awesome job by the way. Only just realised it is your app.

gcw07

You must have been on an old version because collections were added in way back. I'd recommend for starters not side-loading things unless you have to. The Roku store has the latest version available. If you have to side-load because your on a Now TV box, then at least get 1.16.6 (though that version is still a version behind the store release).

I'd really need to see what the file type is to figure out what is going on with playback. Can you go into the web client and copy the media information from one of those items?

Thanks.

• Like 1

billybob

Yes it is Now TV. I will try 1.16.6 and here are the file details of one epsiode:

Video:mpeg2video • 720x576 • 16:9 • 2565 kbps
Audio:eng • mp2 • stereo • 192 kbps
Audio:eng • mp2 • mono • 64 kbps
Subtitle:eng • dvbsub

• Solution
billybob

Just loaded 1.16.6 and the episode with data above worked. Most of the other epsiodes work fine as well. A couple still don't play but they all come from the same tuner so that must be a local issue.

Looks like you are a genius.

Tikuf

@@billybob same tuner doesn't mean same codec etc (tv stations do vary in their transmissions). I would start by looking to see if the media info we have for the files that don't play is different from those that do.

How to do that is here

gillmacca

I think your confusing Views (Movie, TV, Music) with Collections / Media Folders. The top 3 here are views. They basically combine the types into one folder. The bottom portion are your individual collections you setup within MB.

52c1fe1a86947_Image1.jpg

Where did you get your media folder images from? Been trying to find some for my collection, but having a hard time finding any decent ones