Is Theater ready to replace Emby Classic?

disorganise01

disorganise01

Long time supporter of Emby (and MB before that) with Emby Server and Classic running on Win7 with WMC. For some reason its decided to fail patching....even after a rebuild so I'm contemplating going to win 10...but I know WMC is no longer there.

So...can I use ET to replace WMC? I moved live TV off to FetchTV some time ago so WMC is now music, pictures and Emby (movies and downloaded TV basically).

Will ET start and run via the MS remote (actually I'm using a logitech universal to emulate)?

If it makes a difference, I run sound over HDMI to my amp (bitstream i think? Basically passthru the Dolby/DTS to the amp to worry about).

Failing ET being ready.....are there other options? I know 7 will be around for a while but I'm a bit over trying to resolve this patching problem.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

AdrianW

Yes, ET can be a replacement for EMC.

It can be launched from a Harmony remote - use the Harmony "Windows Media Center SE" device and then allocate the key Win-2 (for example) to a button on the remote (I have mine mapped to the LCD with the text "Emby Theatre"). The Win-2 key combination will launch the 2nd program on the taskbar - so put a shortcut to ET in the second spot.

ET will also bitstream AC3 and DTS (and higher like DTS-MA, TrueHD, etc).

Try it on your Win-7 PC - I think it should work (it works fine on Win8.1).

You can actually install the hacked version of Media Center on to Win 10, and then install EMC. I did this recently on my main HTPC (a NUC living under the TV) - and it works, but I've been having issues as I use MPC-HC as an external player. If you use Media Center player then it will probably work OK.

• Like 2

muppets4

You can actually install the hacked version of Media Center on to Win 10, and then install EMC. I did this recently on my main HTPC (a NUC living under the TV) - and it works, but I've been having issues as I use MPC-HC as an external player. If you use Media Center player then it will probably work OK.

I can confirm this works. But as Win10 updates come along, the suddenly stop working. So you have to install it again. Wich isn't that hard to be honest. Theater can't record TV yet, so if you use that option in MCE, you'll have to look at other options.

Edited by muppets4

Disorganise

Nah no recording anymore. I got a separate unit to do that (FetchTV) and gimme Netflix via remote and hire HD 5.1 movies.......it just doesn't do music, blu ray, mkv etc

[btw I noticed tapatalk changed my username.....now fixed]

Vidman

If you use wmc for live tv then I would say, not yet

They specifically mention in the op that they do not use wmc for live tv

Logos302

I just switched over about a week ago and so far so good.  Couple of things missing that I miss (Multi-login, and auto logout). They are planned but who knows when (well I'm sure luke has a plan that only he and maybe a few others know :)  ).  

mentasm

I'm considering a switch soon.

For me there are a few things that could work better.

- Needs visual pop up when changing the volume

- Would prefer to be able to tune/modify the home screen layout.  For me I would have latest downloads front and centre, then up next and finally recommendations at the far right.

- trailers should have a latest/unwatched section on the home page

- Not sure if these is currently a way, but subtitles need to be able to be switched on and off via remote

- when using 'up next' the next episode should also appear below the current one.  At presentyou watch the next episode and when it ends you get dumped back at the episode detail screen and there is no easy way to get top the next episode without backing out to the home page for TV.  On Chocolate there is a couple of < > buttons at the bottom.  Even better, the skip bitton on the remote could take you to the next episode.  

- Backdrop screen saver could have an option to replace the current white text name of the movie/tv show with the logo/clearart for the item.  Loos so much better to me.

Would also like to know if there is any way to be able to bitstream but still control the volume via the remote.  Curently I have had to set my bitstreaming to none and use the Reclock renderer to force everything to be able to be controlled by my remote volume controls.  If I have bitstreaming on, some of my content plays via ET and volume can be controlled via the remote, other stuiff gets bit streamed and I continually find I start a movie and I have high volume and I can't change it until I have fumbled around for a minute trying to find the remote for the speakers

Edited by mentasm

AdrianW

Subs can be turned on and off via your remote: bring up the scrub bar (press up arrow), and there's a "CC" icon, press that and you get subtitle options.

If you're bitstreaming then the digital signal is being sent untouched to your receiver, you need to be altering volume via the receiver not via ET. That's why so many people have Harmony remotes - they can be configured so the volume buttons control the receiver, and the transport buttons control ET. You can get away with a cheap Harmony (like the 650) if you don't need or want one of the higher end models.

Yes, I wish an equivalent of the "<" & ">" EMC buttons existed in ET. But, you can configure ET to automatically play the next episode.

Vidman

Subs can be turned on and off via your remote: bring up the scrub bar (press up arrow), and there's a "CC" icon, press that and you get subtitle options.

If you're bitstreaming then the digital signal is being sent untouched to your receiver, you need to be altering volume via the receiver not via ET. That's why so many people have Harmony remotes - they can be configured so the volume buttons control the receiver, and the transport buttons control ET. You can get away with a cheap Harmony (like the 650) if you don't need or want one of the higher end models.

Yes, I wish an equivalent of the "<" & ">" EMC buttons existed in ET. But, you can configure ET to automatically play the next episode.

Controlling receiver volume via emby theatre would be possible with hdmi-cec support

mentasm

Thanks for that.  To be honest would be nice if that could be assigned to a single remote button

I have a harmony remote.  Where this breaks is that some media bit streams, some does not.  So you end up having to use different volume buttons with differen media.  This nukes the WAF in my lounge room.

I know you can have that configured, but to be honest it's not ideal.  Much better to be able to navigate to the next episode with two button presses etc.  perhaps a pop up with auto play asking if you want to play the next episode?  That would maybe work

Edited by mentasm
  • Like 1

AdrianW

I have a harmony remote.  Where this breaks is that some media bit streams, some does not.  So you end up having to use different volume buttons with differen media.  This nukes the WAF in my lounge room.

But, all the audio is going to your receiver isn't it? You should still be able to control volume via the receiver - just make sure the PC's volume is set at max and then leave it alone.

Thanks for that.  To be honest would be nice if that could be assigned to a single remote button

I think some old WMC remotes have a subtitle button. i have the app catching this to cycle through all of the available subtitles, but i do not have one of those remotes so i haven't tested it.

• Like 1

Disorganise

I have a harmony remote. Where this breaks is that some media bit streams, some does not. So you end up having to use different volume buttons with differen media. This nukes the WAF in my lounge room.

The WAF is exceedingly low in my house but I don't have this problem. All audio is controlled by the Amp.

Not sure how our set up differs, but my amp generally shows Dolby digital/DTS/DTS MA etc for bitstreamed stuff and pro logic ii or something for regular windows sounds (eg mp3 or the media centre start up sound). Sure, volume levels can differ a little between media types but it only takes a second to adjust.

Try leaving the PC at 100% volume and only adjusting volume in the amp.

mentasm

I guess we get stuck in our ways.  I only recently switched from an old set of logitech z560s to a set of new Logitech z509s.  That meant I finally had optical and the ability to have decoded audio.  I've always done volume via the media application (hence my request for a visual volume indicator when adjusting volume).  Guess I'll have to move into the 21st century and look at assigning the harmony buttons to the speaker volume control.

My remote is a harmony 525.  I don't think it has a subtitle button.  In emby for WMC I have the bottom red button setup via fddshow to toggle subtitles

Edited by mentasm

AdrianW

My remote is a harmony 525.  I don't think it has a subtitle button.  In emby for WMC I have the bottom red button setup via fddshow to toggle subtitles

If you're using the "Microsoft Media Center SE" device on your Harmony, you should be able to map "Subtitle" to another of the coloured buttons or to the LCD.

• Like 1

mentasm

I think some old WMC remotes have a subtitle button. i have the app catching this to cycle through all of the available subtitles, but i do not have one of those remotes so i haven't tested it.

I've had some mixed results so far.

Added the Windows Media Center SE device to my Harmony remote and assigned the 'subtitle' function. I already have a button setup with 'F12' assigned to MCE \Remote and ffdshow which I use in emby for WMC. 

I have had the F12 button work for switching off subtitles (didn't expect this to work at all.  Also doesn't seem to work with all movies that have subtitles).  I am yet to have the 'subtitle' button work to control subtitle display at all.  Using the 'cc' button in the scrub display does work.

On a side note I have also noticed an annoying focus issue.  If I alt-tab out to windows, when I go back to ET, the remote will not work.  As soon as I have clicked on something with the mouse inside ET the remote begins to work fine again

Edited by mentasm

Disorganise

So I went ahead and installed Win 10 on the weekend, and added emby server and theatre.

Not had opportunity to use it yet cos the library took f'rages to scan and even then it looks like the watched status is a bit out.....might need to try that one again....anyway...

ET.....doesn't start with the 'green' button. But when it is loaded the remote navigates. Like i said i haven't really tested it yet but did play an episode and an mp3...no codecs required which was unexpected.

First impressions.....the UI gives me a whole bunch of stuff by default that I don't like....kinda reminds me of the "MBPlus" thing I bought and uninstalled. Presume this can be changed somewhere.....or I can adapt..we'll see.

It's also slow. Long time to start up (thought it had died due to blank screen but eventually saw the spinning circle) but that can be worked around by leaving it running. But also between selections seems laggy....will it get better as it caches stuff? Fwiw I put UNC's for the path names in Emby Server (same PC), should I revert to drive letters?

Once we finish the Netflix series we're binging on I'll get back to actually using ET properly. Btw...win10 installed all its patches properly so at least that problem is resolved :)

mentasm

ET.....doesn't start with the 'green' button. But when it is loaded the remote navigates. Like i said i haven't really tested it yet but did play an episode and an mp3...no codecs required which was unexpected.

First impressions.....the UI gives me a whole bunch of stuff by default that I don't like....kinda reminds me of the "MBPlus" thing I bought and uninstalled. Presume this can be changed somewhere.....or I can adapt..we'll see.

It's also slow. Long time to start up (thought it had died due to blank screen but eventually saw the spinning circle) but that can be worked around by leaving it running. But also between selections seems laggy....will it get better as it caches stuff? Fwiw I put UNC's for the path names in Emby Server (same PC), should I revert to drive letters?

Is your remote a harmony?  Or one of the original MCE ones?  WItht eh harmony you can add the media center SE device and then you can use the WIN + 1, 2, 3 etc combos to launch apps from your task bar.  Seems to work OK except that you don't get focus until you've clicked something with the mouse.

I agree that the UI is a bit too MBplus.  It definitely needs some customization which doesn't exist at this time.

I also agree that the startup process could use some visual indication of whats going on.  I think it spends some time updating itself during the startup period.  Would be good if there was something to indicate this so you know everything is working ok.  I guess once we get out of development mode and have more stable versions that this might be less of an issue as there won't be updates most of the time at startup.

I believe UNC paths is best if you are likely to be using your server from multiple devices within the home.

• Like 1