This site can’t be reached localhost refused to connect. ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Hey guys, like the title says, I get nothing when trying to reach my server. Any help would be awesome so thanx in advance ;)

I'll throw up as much info as I can, so here's the deets:

A few days ago I was trying a backup for windows 7, which was unsuccessful. In the process I turned on windows update (had it disabled since it was causing me nothing but headaches). Shouldn't have done that. After a reboot, I had a small text show up in the bottom right of my screen:

Windows 7

Build 7601 (maybe?)

Version of Windows is not genuine (it definitely is)

Figured it had something to do with not updating, but everything seemed fine, except I couldn't access Emby (which, let's be real, is the best thing about a computer ;) )

Shit.

Anyway, I figured I'd figure it out in the morning. Overnight there was a power outage (of course) so Windows update tried to do it's thing, and let's just say I finally have things running again. What a pain in the ass. Still, I keep getting this error.

I've been searching the forums and can't get things running. I have the server running as admin, and reboots do nothing. Here's the most recent logs newest to oldest. Hoping I can get things up without re installing, but I'll give that a go next if nothing pans out. Thanx again!

Edit: Just checked canyouseeme.org and port 8096 can't be reached. The port is forwarded in my router, no change there.

server-63596922769.txt

server-63596915348.txt

server-63596912339.txt

Edited by Jack Burton

Make sure the port is forwarded to the proper local IP address for your server (it may have changed) and make sure the firewall rules are setup properly on the server.

Jack Burton

It looks like that's set up properly. I've got a static ip which hasn't changed, and the port is still forwarded like it was before. Firewall is allowing all connections (unless it needs ipv6?)

Jack Burton

Just checked the windows host file and it was FULL of hundreds of extra crap. Reset it using https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/checking-your-windows-hosts-file that I found on another thread. Still no change. When I launch the server the green bar only goes about 1/4 the length of the progress bar then the launch screen disappears. Is this normal?

Jack Burton

Uninstall and reinstall did the trick :) Thanx for taking the time ebr, always appreciated

If a re-install fixed it then it was probably a firewall or router rule that we were able to automatically set on the install.

Glad you got it going.

• 2 years later...
nickmanny
The error is usually generated mostly if you don't have a connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be triggered by a dead DNS server response or a firewall blocking the Google Chrome from locating the network.  DNS is that network address that translates the website name to its internet address.  Another reason could be the firewall preventing Google Chrome to load the webpage. In order to fix this “connection” error, there are a few simple steps that you could apply, such as:

Clear your browser cache.

Reset your IP address & flush the DNS cache.

Check proxy settings.

Disable your firewall.