Access server on local network?

Murf

The other night we lost internet,  Router was still working, and both Roku and media PC are hardwired to the router.   Was not able to get Emby via the Roku though.  The server was added using local ip, but still could not access it.    Did I miss something or is internet access required?

Are you manually entering a server to connect to, or using the pin method via emby connect?

Internet connection isnt required. If the server is on the same LAN as the client you should be able to manually specify a server. It will auto-discover the server. Choose it and you should be fine. If it doesnt auto-discover use new server and manually specify the LAN ip the server uses.

If you choose emby connect and use the pin method this might be what is causing the app to require an internet connection. I use manual auto-discovery and there are times I have been without internet for several hours. I could still log in and out of the server on my roku and watch anything in my library.

Also note: everything in the roku app is self-contained. When the app launches there is nothing downloaded by it from the internet to enable functionality. All the scripts/images/themes/etc used are all included in the app.

Also note: If your router went down, then came back up, like you cycled it to see why the internet was broken which I do at times too. You might need to reboot the roku after the router has rebooted each time. Otherwise you may get ports stuck open on the roku and this causes the problem. Ive had this occur before when my internet was misbehaving. Rebooting the roku immediately solved it.

Edited by speechles

Vidman

... Except to verify premiere status for the server occasionally so that premium features are available

Edited by Vidman

... Except to verify premiere status right?

Wrong. The roku app merely makes use of the isSuppoter flag which is generated by the server. The server needs to verify the premiere status from time to time. Everyone using the roku app can enjoy those benefits if the server they connect through is registered with emby premiere. There are no paywalls on the roku app. The roku app is 100% free and does not call home. Emby premiere adds to the roku both cover art and livetv max channels 80 instead of 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Router never reset, just lost internet,  could not get into emby app to do anything, it was stuck on retrieving,  never gave any option to choose another server.  

Router never reset, just lost internet, could not get into emby app to do anything, it was stuck on retrieving, never gave any option to choose another server.

Hmmm... It should let you regardless of internet connectivity. You can also try adding the blue neon night app on your roku too. Then next time this happens try using the official app and blue neon app. One of them should work. But if both fail there is something odd happening on your network.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

I can make it happen at any time by unplugging my modem. Router is still connected,  computer and roku both hard wired in.   Just stays on retrieving when there is no internet connection, no options to add.change servers

Ok, so i went into Emby app on the Roku, Went into Change Server, in that list was Home server, add server and sign out of Emby connect.  I tried adding my local 192 server ip and nothing changed.  So I clicked on Sign our of Emby connect and it took me out of the Emby app. Now when I try to go into it, it says 'Retrieving' for about 15 seconds and then goes back to the Roku home screen.     How do I get connected back to my server?

i wonder if the channel has run out of space to save data. i would try removing all emby roku apps and then install and try from a fresh start.

Ok only have the one app on my roku, Ill give that a shot.

Ok that worked,  I added server manually and chose Home Server.  Now if I take my roku somewhere it should work fine there as well correct? Or will need to connect to my server  differently?

Edited by Murf