Movie metadata not saving into movie folders

trancemitr

trancemitr

I recently installed Emby on a clean install of Windows 10.  Before I pointed the Library to my media folders I made sure to check the box for "Save artwork and metadata into media folders."  After looking in the folders it appears this worked for TV but not movies.  At least there are pics and such in the TV show folders; nothing for the movies.  I looked in the Metadata Path listed on the Server dashboard (C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata), and there are hundreds of nested folders in there with random titles that each have poster, backdrop, logo, etc. pictures in them. 

I have close to 800 movies, and it took several days to go through the process of picking each picture for each movie thinking it was saving the metadata to the folders.  Before I go through all the work to move all of those files, is there some way to make sure that all metadata for any movies I add goes to the right spot?  Is there something I missed in the Server settings?

Thanks

That's all you need to configure. What most likely happened is it failed to save to the media folder for whatever reason (perhaps file access), then used the metadata folder as a fallback. Or, perhaps you configured the setting after having downloaded the images (but you say you did it before). More than likely it is one of those two things. Try doing it again for another movie and see if they get saved into the media folder. If the issue persists then please provide the server log and we should be able to spot what's going on:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

foghat

I am having a similar problem.

I have the metadata folder set to Q:\imagesbyname

But also have the setting to 'save artwork and metadata info into media folders' selected.

The artwork (images) does in fact save to the media folder, but the movie.xml file is not saved there - in fact I am having a hard time finding where it is located.

I do see the extracted chapter images in Q:\imagesbyname.  Movie.xml might be in there as well? If it is, I can't find it.

I've attached a server log during the adding of the new star wars to my library.

Thoughts on why the movie.xml file is not saving to the movie folder like the images are?  And any idea where the movie.xml file is residing?

server-63596993706.txt

Our default metadata format is nfo, so you get movie.nfo. If you want xml, you need to install the xml metadata saver plugin.

• Like 1

foghat

Is this a somewhat recent change?  I have movie.xml in almost all of my movie folders, but do not have the xml metadata saver plugin.  It seems any movies I have added after January 29th, no longer have a movie xml file and also do not have a movie.nfo file.

This said, I just noticed I did not have nfo movie data saver checked off.  After checking it, the movie.nfo file is now generated. Still, interesting I used to get movie.xml - until end of January.

nfo has been our default for probably a year and a half now, but until january we also included xml in the core server without the need for a plugin. You must have unchecked nfo somewhere along the way.

• Like 1

trancemitr

I'm glad Foghat got what he needed, but my problem still persists.  However, I've done some homework, and I've got some info to report.

I ended up copying all the pics from the C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata folders to the correct media folders.  That was only for the movies; I deleted everything else.  There weren't any nfos, but I'm not sure if there were supposed to be.  Anyway, I then removed and re-installed Emby.  After that, instead of adding all my media libraries at one time I started by adding just my wife's workout videos.  No metadata was added to the media folders, but I don't know what it would have found anyway.  I then added the TV library.  Once again, no metadata added to the media folders; it all went to C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata.  There shouldn't be any problem with writing to the folders as I have all permissions listed for each drive.  I took a quick look at the log.  I don't know what I'm looking for, but I did notice a lot of errors listed.  I've attached it hoping someone may know what to do.  Thanks.

server-63597087075.txt

Log is filled with unauthorized access exceptions so it does appear to be a permissions issue.

trancemitr

ebr, I came back here to report I found that same thing when I saw your reply.  Earlier today I went and updated permissions in Properties -> Security, but that didn't do it.  I just went and updated permissions in Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing, and that appears to have done it.  It's at least worked for my TV shows so far.  It'll take a while to go through the movies.  I think I've got it, though.  Thanks.

Where exactly are .nfo files located? I did a search in the all server directories and nothing was found.

It depends on whether you have the option to save them with your media and/or if you have customized your metadata folder and/or if you have disabled nfo saving.

bnwbass

571ed4eb27ada_Capture.png

It depends on whether you have the option to save them with your media and/or if you have customized your metadata folder and/or if you have disabled nfo saving.

I have been trying to understand the metadata information for a few days now.  Above are the only folders that show under metadata. library has random folders but nothing in the folder, people has xml files  some with jpg image and most do not.  This is my issue, how do I get all actors in people folder to contain images?  Views, contains random folders but empty.

In metadata settings: Both are checked, download and save artwork.

In metadata service:  Both readers and savers checked

In metadata NFO Settings: All checked

Based on this, where are the nfo files being saved?

Thx

Bw

Try refreshing a single movie in the web interface, then view that movie and see if the actors for that movie have images. if the answer is yes, then open the metadata manager and do a refresh on your top level movie folder.

bnwbass

Yes, I have tried this many times.  Metadata manager allows you to do a full refresh  on thr top level movie folder but this does not work for me.

Refresh on individual titles however does work.  I am not looking forward to doing a refresh on 400 movies?  Can tiny media manger help me out here, there are several other programs like TMM as well.

Do a refresh from your top level movie folders, give it the afternoon, then come back and try and view one of those movies in the web interface.

bnwbass

Do a refresh from your top level movie folders, give it the afternoon, then come back and try and view one of those movies in the web interface.

Yes this worked thank you.  I processed a small test case of only 5 titles.  Now I will add 100 movies at a time and check the results.

I still do not know where these .nfo files reside though, my complete system search finds zero .nfo files.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrommy

Our default metadata format is nfo, so you get movie.nfo. If you want xml, you need to install the xml metadata saver plugin.

Is this new? When I used nfo as metadata saver in october, emby wanted an nfo identical to the movie name. Does it create an nfo file called movie.nfo nowdays, regards theres already one nfo for other purposes? See here fo more info http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26956-nfo-being-overwritten/

I was generalizing with that statement but different video types have different rules for what the file name will be and also it will vary if the movie is in it's own folder or combined into a single folder with other movies. In most cases, video file will be filename.nfo.

Andrommy

I was generalizing with that statement but different video types have different rules for what the file name will be and also it will vary if the movie is in it's own folder or combined into a single folder with other movies. In most cases, video file will be filename.nfo.

Been experimenting a bit; If I use nfo for metadata emby creates an nfo with identical name as the movie file, but with xml as metadata however, emby creates movie.xml (really movie.xml). It was the very same movie in the exact same folder structure on both occations.

Been experimenting a bit; If I use nfo for metadata emby creates an nfo with identical name as the movie file, but with xml as metadata however, emby creates movie.xml (really movie.xml). It was the very same movie in the exact same folder structure on both occations.

So, is there a problem here? The xml convention was invented by Media browser 2. The nfo convention was invented by Kodi. We are not just arbitrarily choosing random file names to save with.