Weather missing from EHS

pgriffith

pgriffith

Sometime in last week or so the Weather Strip on the EHS has disappeared.

Running 302 with latest beta (5941) but has been the same on previous betas, at least since the beta that fixed the missing latest items issue.

Am observing this on 4 clients (not all mine, 3 separate servers)

Running Chocolate on all of them. When checking the weather option in Chocolate config menu it says this is configured from the Server. The weather code is still set correctly in Emby WMC. Is there plans afoot to set weather from the server now? I've checked EVERYWHERE in the server dashboard to no avail.

Cheers

This isn't a problem with the app.  The Yahoo Weather end point we have been using forever is returning an error.

Either something has changed on their end or they are just having an issue.

pgriffith

ah, never even considered that  :)

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully it'll just come back at some point

raymondjpg

ah, never even considered that   :)

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully it'll just come back at some point

It hasn't come back. Still missing.

pgriffith

Will weather be returning, either from Yahoo or another source ?

• 4 weeks later...

The old xml api isn't working anymore so weather will just be coming out of EMC for now.

• 4 weeks later...
raymondjpg

Best disable Weather panel in Emby WMC setup for now, as errors with Yahoo weather have just started to slow down startup and responsiveness of Emby WMC.

It would be nice to have a working weather panel some time please.

Edit: I think there is a fix in the latest beta, but I'll wait for the official release thanks.

Edited by raymondjpg

raymondjpg

I suggest you update to the beta of EMC.

OK I have updated to the beta and the weather panel is working again with the new Yahoo ID.

• 10 months later...
raymondjpg

Sorry to say that the weather panel is randomly going missing again in the EHS of both Chocolate and Diamond views. Sometimes it appears briefly then disappears again. I have tried installing latest beta of EMC but no difference. If it is a Yahoo weather problem I guess we wait for them to fix it, or do without the weather panel.

raymondjpg

The weather panel has returned. Maybe an intermittent problem at Yahoo weather, but it has been working quite well for almost a year now.

• 1 year later...
raymondjpg

The weather panel is missing again, but this time it might be due to (from https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/ ):

"Important EOL Notice: As of Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the weather.yahooapis.com and query.yahooapis.com for Yahoo Weather API will be retired.
To continue using our free Yahoo Weather APIs, use https://weather-ydn-yql.media.yahoo.com/forecastrss. Contact yahoo-weather-ydn-api@@Oath.com for credentials to onboard to this free Yahoo Weather API service."

Does this mean that the old weather panel will no longer work in Emby for WMC, and if so, is there any intention to incorporate the new free Yahoo Weather API service in a revision of Emby for WMC?

Edited by raymondjpg

Unfortunately, yes that means weather will not work in EMC for a while.  This isn't a feature we have anywhere else in Emby so we'll just have to see if we can bring it back here at some point.

Thanks.

raymondjpg

Unfortunately, yes that means weather will not work in EMC for a while.  This isn't a feature we have anywhere else in Emby so we'll just have to see if we can bring it back here at some point.

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I think, like others I have seen commenting on this, that weather is a feature that we all value. WMC is alive and well in Windows 7 still, 8.1, and is working full screen again in the most recent feature update of Windows 10 (1809). I don't think it can be written off just yet.

Regards.

jachin99

And for weather APIs, I have always wondered if there is a free government weather provider somewhere.  It seems pretty beneficial to commerce to provide something like that as a free service.  Maybe it doesn't exist though.

throgmorton

I haven't looked at the new API but it should be pretty straight forward to update the URL unless the XML coming back also has to be parsed differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One2Go

I haven't looked at the new API but it should be pretty straight forward to update the URL unless the XML coming back also has to be parsed differently.

Thanks for looking into this. Just checked yesterday in the Maelstrom EHS and yes no weather and just displaying the Yahoo Weather label on the screen. Checked also in the settings for the theme and found no place where to perhaps enter a different weather provider. On my phone's weather app when opening the settings a BIG warning message states: "Yahoo shut down their old Weather and location APIs on Jan. 3. 2019. Setting a custom location will fail for some other weather providers. There is a new API available and we are working on adding it to Chronus as fast as we can."

As weather source I used on this Chronus Widget "yr.no" and never noticed on my phone that Yahoo shut down their API.

Thanks a lot for trying to sort this and just another reason to stick and support a theme that still has an active supporter on this forum.

Edited by One2Go

throgmorton

So having a quick look, I don't believe the XML has changed, however you now need to register to get an OAuth consumer key to be able to access the API and the number of requests may be limited from the information I was able to gather.  The actual code for gathering the weather resides all in the core WMC program I just call functions to display it in my themes.  So I believe to get this functional again the admins would have to register an app with yahoo and then they wil send an email asking for access to yahoo-weather-ydn-api@@Oath.com.  After which it would just be a matter of redirecting the call within WMC core to the new RSS feed as it still seems to use the WOEID to identify the location.

raymondjpg

So having a quick look, I don't believe the XML has changed, however you now need to register to get an OAuth consumer key to be able to access the API and the number of requests may be limited from the information I was able to gather.  The actual code for gathering the weather resides all in the core WMC program I just call functions to display it in my themes.  So I believe to get this functional again the admins would have to register an app with yahoo and then they wil send an email asking for access to yahoo-weather-ydn-api@@Oath.com.  After which it would just be a matter of redirecting the call within WMC core to the new RSS feed as it still seems to use the WOEID to identify the location.

Thanks also from me for looking into this.

Only a couple of days ago the site where I previously found my local Yahoo WOEID reported that it had closed. That site is at http://woeid.rosselliot.co.nz/. Today, when I opened the site to check on its status so I could report it here now states "WOEID Lookup Service is RESTORED."

So it, at least, is working again.

It would be great to see the weather panel working again in Emby for WMC.

• 3 weeks later...

I also still have MB 2.6.2 installed and running on my backup PC and use it every now and then, how do you integrated it into the program? Does Throgmorton have to modify his MB 2.6.2 themes?

throgmorton

I also still have MB 2.6.2 installed and running on my backup PC and use it every now and then, how do you integrated it into the program? Does Throgmorton have to modify his MB 2.6.2 themes?

I pull weather data from core so it needs to be fixed there. Basically they just need to register the app and request access to weather from yahoo in order to get the access codes.