Synology DS3615xs

Abobader

Good day,

I bought this model yesterday after giving up on qnap (to get xeon based cpu model locally here), I installed 12 wd red nas 4tb drives, setup as raid 6 and start moving my media.

What the best setup to install emby server on it, thanks in advanced.

My best

RobsterUK

What version of DSM does it have installed?

For DSM 5.x this thread has the details http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/

If it is has DSM 6, then this thread has extra details for that version.
http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32554-dsm-6-ds414-armadaxp/

I would say that your model has the bromolow (x64) architecture - and you will need the x64 versions of cytecs builds.

I'm still on DSM 5.x and the guide is spot on, its quite comprehensive.

Edited by RobsterUK
  • Like 1

hmm, seem either mono or docker setup still have some issue from the way I read threads here.

RobsterUK

Hmm, doesn't look like folks can get a consistent experience on DSM 6.

If you have only just set up your NAS & do not have much in the way of customisation yet, and don't require the additional DSM 6 features & really want to get Emby working.

It would be worth looking into rolling back to DSM 5.

I think that you can use the Synology assistant to re-run the setup process and find the latest DSM 5 .pat file

• Like 1

Good day,

I am very new to this system, but the way I understand it, the file system I chose for the raid 6 as btrfs as it come with DSM 6.

So going back to DSM 5 is not an option.

Many thanks for your reply tho, well done.

My best

• 2 weeks later...
tariqmirza

Install using docker, I think easiest way and safer for those who do not know commands like me. If you need help with docker installation let me know

• Like 1

Well done.

I am good at command/ shell matters actually buddy, but the problem, they are no officially howto in this forum for fresh install emby server on DSM 6 system.

Also my point for whom new to emby server with synology nas.

@@Luke any pointer in this matters?

• 2 months later...

Good day Luke,

So I remove the internal build testing i was going with James, and start fresh with that?

BTW, any chance we can go with dev build with this for whom want that?

My best

Well it same issue for me as regarding installing, no point really to reinstall, btw, I am on beta not on released build testing this.

Good day,

Not worth it (personal view) to run Emby server other than windows OS.

So no more emby server on Synology.

My best

solabc16

Hello @@Abobader

Version 3.0.6030 and 3.1.89-beta have just been published to their respective channels and are available within Package Center now.

There are some specific improvements to address issues with scanning 'large' libraries.

Best

- James

• Like 1

Hello @@Abobader

Version 3.0.6030 and 3.1.89-beta have just been published to their respective channels and are available within Package Center now.

There are some specific improvements to address issues with scanning 'large' libraries.

Best

- James

Good day James,

Yes, beta build (3.1.88.0) fix the issue about browsing library freeze matters, well done.

But for the past 2 beta builds, I come facing another problem, maybe it was there before that I did not notice:

Seem the library scan can not read some nfo titles for codecs (video/audio) info, as I reported before, here example:

57a33a5ab16c4_20160802_154605.jpg

57a33a78a76e5_20160803_110057.jpg

I have many of these as this matters, at windows emby server all fine without problem, as example:

57a33cc318c68_20160804_155833.jpg

Wonder why it not read the nfo correcct that done by windows emby dev build.

My best

Good day,

Now I see why, somehow when I tried the library scan, I thiink when we back testing the beta and I was having problems, these titles the nfo files the codec's sections been removed, it display fine on windows emby server maybe because the info already at the db.

Here the "Top Gun" nfo as you see:

Top Gun.nfo

As I see it fine as my past post just because the record at the db for windows emby server:

57a35d748fea7_20160804_181758.jpg

57a35d8b39e52_20160804_181810.jpg

So I think now it no issue, I just need to run refresh on top of each library from the metadata manger to fix all this.

Well done James, you doing great buddy.

Ok back on testing for Synology :)

My best

Good day,

Emby beta build: 3.1.89.0

Well to fix the above issue, with metadata manger top level library refresh did not get me anywhere, so I start going to each library to hunts these titles and refresh them each manually, what a damn nightmare :)

Reason:

Hover by mouse will not bring the option, I have to tried 2 to 3 times, or simply keep that mouse hover for 30 seconds or so and most of the time the popup window go to the top left screen:

57a3aac7d5d4b_20160804_202712.jpg

It maybe browser issue (Chrome) but I am not sure.

Also another issue, that at music library, at artists they are nothing:

57a3ab418fa3e_20160804_225050.jpg

In general, browsing page by page somehow faster than before, but fast stop at this, all other operational are much slower than the windows emby server.

I run now People task, it too slow (knowing issue) but waiting for it to finish, to start testing playing titles over lan, also to test displaying arabic subtitles next.

Really James did great job to simple all this, well done to him, this feedback not to put the emby synology pack in anyway, it just a feedback,

My best

• Like 1

Darkjeje

@@Abobader

It is possible to have a list to get quickly the movies that don't have no actor or no IMDB or other option.

I have a problem similar of yours.

My problem is many many movies don't have the actor list and I have to check the good IMDB then refresh the page.

And like you it is very boring for 2 reasons, I do this movie by movie and I don't know which movies need it without see movie by movie.

If any person have an idea to see quickly what movie have not a good parameters and how repair this, I will be very happy to learn.

If any option exist, it is possible to create by debeloppers ?

Sorry for my english :(

Jérem

Good day,

Best to start "Report" from emby dash, then click on the 3 dots to filter the issue, under management see for example the titles do not have id's or something, then refresh them.

Regarding actors, this issue some times take times to fully build for old titles.

Running People from task, it will take times, if your titles have full nfo's info for actors, then it will build, but need many tries to completed tho.

My best

solabc16

Thanks for the feedback @@Abobader, I'm glad to see we've got to a point now where we can get the platform up and running.

Certainly a couple of loose ends we need too get to the bottom of still.

I've noticed the peope refresh too, although it doesn't significantly impact usability, it does tie up CPU resource and memory for a considerable period of time.

- James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good day James,

I think maybe the auto box set plugin are the issue at the past that casing the problem for collection, as the plugin will not remove the old path from the xml file, it will simply keep adding the new path, thisi happens if you update a title within the collection by moving it to new folder, ex: titles was a dvd, then you update that to bluray (I organized my titles folder based on the codec - dvd on folder named "dvdf" bluray on folder "hdf" .. .etc).

Until Ebr find a way for that, I will go manually edit the path in all these xml collections.

My best

• 3 weeks later...

Good day,

All my problems now return back with latest beta build, freeze on library browsing, collections ... etc.

I test it like 5 times, all with same result.

James, I sent the log:

sendlogs_ayajnas_synology_bromolow_3615xs_20160905T024036UTC.tgz

My best