Fall-back to show image for seasons lacking images

Quiks

Quiks

Hi,

Some shows do not have images for certain seasons or any seasons for that matter. This is a feature I really liked in plex. When a show does not have an image for its season, the season's image falls back to the show's image. It's definitely just an aesthetics thing, but it helps quite a bit to round the edges so-to-speak.

Edited by Quiks
  • Like 5

Quiks

to add, here are pictures explaining the difference

Notice how the specials season has the same picture as the series.

jAgRALE.jpg

Whereas in emby, there is a "no fanart" picture

av2yv06.jpg

What app is that?

I know several of our apps already fall back to parent images in these cases.

Quiks

im using kodi with emby as its database.

to add, the server itself doesnt fall back (neither does the web browser theater interface), which i assume is the reason theres no image in kodi

Edited by Quiks

ginjaninja

Its not obvious to me, why this 'falling back' behaviour is left as a per app thing. In the ops example of season and series images, the proposed systemwide design might reasonably be assesed as 'what everyone would want'.

Edit i guess a potential contentious area is uis for the purpose of metadata editing..the user might want to see missing images..but even in this example if the user was confident that a specific image would have been subsequently downloaded if it had become available, would negate any requirement for special treatment for this use case.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

It gets very complicated to do it a server level when you have the ability to customize images at every level.

ginjaninja

out of interest EBR why is it more complex than

1. client api call for 'give me image for season A of show B'

2. server logic for this call

if season image is defined

then season image 

else if show image is defined

then show image 

else

default image for this media type

end if

?

Vidman

Because these images could vary greatly in size, shape, aspect ratio etc so could really mess with the client layout

ginjaninja

Because these images could vary greatly in size, shape, aspect ratio etc so could really mess with the client layout

my expertise is in logic not programming, that seem like an argument for clients having a vito on what the server provides, or perhaps formatting controls...but not on what the season image actually is...

especially when the server could (or should?) prescribe and conform to norms on size, shape and aspect ratio of season/show images...especially when prescription yields benefits rather than missed opportunities... given the very finite number of media types (tv, movies, music, photos, games,?,?)

Edited by ginjaninja

Quiks

Wouldn't just cropping or scaling the image to the appropriate size work?

like it's it's smaller, scale it up. if it's larger, scale it down. then, just crop off the rest. I don't think that would be too bad. If it's pixelated or cut off a little, it's still 1000% better than a "no image" icon.

The server does allow us to choose whatever we wish, but I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone with a sizeable collection when I say that we'd prefer to not have to manually edit missing fan-art should the option of a default one (show image) be applicable.

Edited by Quiks
  • Like 1