Photo

ET - Converted, downloaded and recorded TV all-in-one?

recorded tv tv

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Vidman OFFLINE  

Vidman

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2662 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:33 AM

Yes that is what I'm saying

#22 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

Yes that is what I'm saying

Oh ok. That sucks.

Any chance ET will be able to integrate the sorting technology Recorded TV HD uses so that this is not the case in the future? It would be great if episodes that are in different formats and in different locations all get unified together and displayed correctly.

It seems like Recorded TV HD hasn't been updated in a while. The owner may be willing to share his source code with Emby on how he did this...
  • SikSlayer likes this

#23 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

So are you saying in the case I posted above even if I add both E:\TV Shows\ and T:\Recorded TV\ to the same Emby directory and episodes 1-7 of 'The Blacklist' are in E:\TV Shows\ and episodes 8-15 are in T:\Recorded TV\ I will have 2 instances of 'The Blacklist' instead of one instance with all 15 episodes?

Ok, so here's the thing. Not combining them causes confusion in the server. When I tried this it nested them. They were all together under the main title, but as soon as you go into the sub-directories juxtaposed titles are made, and you go through a bit of a labyrinth to get to the episode you want. What I figured out is, if you establish your existing files/folders in the directory (Emby server), first. Turn on auto-organize, set your shows to be recorded (at this point I should mention that I have an HDHomeun prime, that allows me to use the server's native recording capabilities). Set auto-organize to move files, the new shows that you record will be moved to the folders that you already have. In my case the only show that I have downloaded files and recording new episodes, is Supernatural. I had that folder structure setup prior, and auto-organize is using it.

5716d7d2dd1de_Snapshot_9.jpg

Nothing else has been moved or changed. If you set it up right, it works very well. Here are my auto-organize settings. There are some options.

5716df301d9cf_Snapshot_10.jpg

It doesn't matter what file type it is, MP4, MKV, TS, etc.

Edited by Doofus, 19 April 2016 - 09:57 PM.

#24 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

@Doofus

So you are saying you already had season 5, 10 and 11 folders setup inside G:\TV\Series\Supernatural (2005)\ before turning "auto organize" on?  Then your HDHomerun Prime recorded a new episode of 'Supernatural' to G:\Recordings\Series\, Emby saw it there, and moved it to G:\TV\Series\Supernatural (2005)\Season 11\ for you?  That is pretty cool!

Did it rename the file when it moved it?  You are using Emby though to schedule recordings, right?  Not WMC?  I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4PCIe.  How does the HDHomerun Prime name the recorded files as? I wonder how well Emby does at moving WMC wtv files to the folder locations (ie. can it see the embedded metadata)?

#25 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:55 AM

I see the note that "auto-organize" will not create new series folders.  Will it create new season folders?  Or do I need to pre-populate all the shows with multiple season folders?

#26 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

@Doofus

So you are saying you already had season 5, 10 and 11 folders setup inside G:\TV\Series\Supernatural (2005)\ before turning "auto organize" on?  Then your HDHomerun Prime recorded a new episode of 'Supernatural' to G:\Recordings\Series\, Emby saw it there, and moved it to G:\TV\Series\Supernatural (2005)\Season 11\ for you?  That is pretty cool!

Did it rename the file when it moved it?  You are using Emby though to schedule recordings, right?  Not WMC?  I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4PCIe.  How does the HDHomerun Prime name the recorded files as? I wonder how well Emby does at moving WMC wtv files to the folder locations (ie. can it see the embedded metadata)?

So, if memory serves, I created the folders for seasons 5 and 10, but I think Auto-organize created 11, in accordance with what I'd started. But it's been a while, so I don't clearly remember. The HDHomerun Prime doesn't name the files at all. Using an HDHomerun product enables you to natively record with the server, and If you use Schedules Direct, It grabs the metadata from there. But here's the cool thing. If you set it up using watch folders like I have, the metadata fetchers in the server will also grab data, and apply it. When moving the file, the file isn't renamed, but, Emby reads the metadata, and gets the naming from there. So, the name of the file will most often appear different to what is shown in the library, and better. As far as I know, emby won't read your metadata, it will write it's own. An HDHomerun Prime is pretty cheap, you already have the cable card in Ceton. If i were you, I'd buy a Prime, and use your Ceton as an extra. The server can handle multiple tuners, now. Also, for some reason, some recordings don't get moved. You can go into the auto-organize settings and move it manually and establish smart matching. I'm still testing that, to see how well it works.

Edited by Doofus, 20 April 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#27 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

I see the note that "auto-organize" will not create new series folders.  Will it create new season folders?  Or do I need to pre-populate all the shows with multiple season folders?

• Auto-organize does _not_ create series folders automatically
  • Auto-organize _does_ create season folders automatically
  • There is a new feature which lets you add new series from within he organize dialog (click on a failed/red entry in the auto-organize list)

• Doofus likes this

#28 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

• Auto-organize does _not_ create series folders automatically
  • Auto-organize _does_ create season folders automatically
  • There is a new feature which lets you add new series from within he organize dialog (click on a failed/red entry in the auto-organize list)

I'm starting to really like auto-organize. You've done some great work with it. I've been testing many of its features. And it HAS been creating series folders, but wasn't creating Season folders. I had to start those, myself, and now it follows them. Previously, it was just putting them in series folder. Oh wait, or is it that the server creates the series folder? I've recently employed the overwrite feature, and set the rename string to the way I like it. Great job! The one thing I've experiencing is a problem with file moving, which I posted about, and you said you had a fix for. So I'll be waiting for that to arrive. Presently, using the overwrite allows the file to be moved, correctly. In the logs it shows 'green' that its been moved successfully, and also in 'red" saying it couldn't be moved. I'm assuming that once correctly moved, it then is checking the file again, and because it's already where it should be its not registering that correctly?

#29 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

And it HAS been creating series folders, but wasn't creating Season folders. I had to start those, myself, and now it follows them. Previously, it was just putting them in series folder. Oh wait, or is it that the server creates the series folder?

Emby does NOT create series folders automatically (only through the dialog).

Emby creates season folders automatically, when a series folder already exists (probably must contain at least one season folder).

#30 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

Emby does NOT create series folders automatically (only through the dialog).

Emby creates season folders automatically, when a series folder already exists (probably must contain at least one season folder).

Well, It created mine. In fact, I had to let it make it's own, because when I created my own folder(s) it ignored them. I should mention that I specified a recording path. Maybe when you do that, it makes it's own. But it definitely created mine. I wrestled with it, but it would only use it's own folders for recorded shows.

#31 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

I just tested recording a show that I'd never recorded before. Notice the TMZ folder. Also, the Movies and Series folders were created by the server

571acb3dcc75e_Snapshot_18.jpg

571acb576eba3_Snapshot_19.jpg

571acb7248c7b_Snapshot_17.jpg

And no Season folder

571acbe41492a_Snapshot_20.jpg

Edited by Doofus, 22 April 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#32 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

What you are experiencing here is probaby the result of the recording feature (though, I have not experience with that yet).

But it's definetely not the result of the auto-organize feature.

Maybe @Luke can explain how these two things are meant to play together..

#33 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

What you are experiencing here is probaby the result of the recording feature (though, I have not experience with that yet).

But it's definetely not the result of the auto-organize feature.

Maybe @Luke can explain how these two things are meant to play together..

I don't have an issue with it, I actually really like it. I was just showing that the server does create series folders, exclusively. I Just renamed the TMZ folder, recorded the show again, and another folder was made with the original name. 

571acdd259d77_Snapshot_21.jpg

571acde625700_Snapshot_22.jpg

Edited by Doofus, 22 April 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#34 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

It may not be the auto-organize that creates the folders, but shouldn't it recognize that the server does? Maybe this is why I get so much red in the log.

571acf37d667b_Snapshot_23.jpg

All these files have already been moved by auto-organize

Edited by Doofus, 22 April 2016 - 09:28 PM.

#35 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

Do you guys need any logs from me? I'm happy to provide any information you need.

Edited by Doofus, 22 April 2016 - 10:14 PM.

#36 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:27 AM

Here's what I'm talking about. One of my shows just recorded, auto-organize moved it successfully, then tries to move it from where it is to where it is. 

571af8ba929cd_Snapshot_24.jpg

571af8dc543c6_Snapshot_25.jpg

I've just noticed there is an enable new recording organizing option, both in LiveTV and Auto-organize. Could they be working separately, and causing two instances? I'm going to test this

#37 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47681 posts
  • Local time: 05:13 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:56 AM

This is all working as designed right now.

You are looking at the "Recorded TV" area and, within there, it will organize items under series if it can identify them.

That is completely independent of your normal library setup and the Auto organize feature is meant to bridge the two - taking items from within the "Recorded TV" area and moving them into your actual library.

In the future, we will probably be looking to have an option to just do away with the Recorded TV part and record things directly into your library but, at this point, the two areas are maintained separately.  Many people treat their recorded TV differently than their permanent library so that is why it is that way now.

• Doofus likes this

#38 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 1863 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

@ebr thanks for the explanation!

#39 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12655 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

This is all working as designed right now.

You are looking at the "Recorded TV" area and, within there, it will organize items under series if it can identify them.

That is completely independent of your normal library setup and the Auto organize feature is meant to bridge the two - taking items from within the "Recorded TV" area and moving them into your actual library.

In the future, we will probably be looking to have an option to just do away with the Recorded TV part and record things directly into your library but, at this point, the two areas are maintained separately.  Many people treat their recorded TV differently than their permanent library so that is why it is that way now.

Ah, ok that makes sense. My work around is actually creating a circle of data. I've created a tv library that incorporates the 'recorded tv' directory. The results are exactly what I want, but requires some finagling. What I would prefer to happen, is simply to have a static directory, and not move anything at all. If we could just specify the folders, just like everything else. This is what I've tried to do in my work around. And then have auto-organize give us the options after that, for renaming etc. Rather than bridging, let it be end process.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recorded tv, tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users