Photo

ET - Converted, downloaded and recorded TV all-in-one?

recorded tv tv

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

Loving ET for playing movies, thanks for all the hard work on this!

Question about TV....

I still use WMC for live TV and recording TV off of my Ceton InfiniTV4.  That coupled with a program called "Recorded TV HD", there is not a better DVR setup out there.  Unfortunately, as we all know, WMC is going the way of the dinosaur.  I know Emby is trying to fill that void with its Live TV capabilities.  

My question is, will recorded, downloaded, and converted TV be able to seamlessly be combined and accessed all in the same place, like with the WMC plugin Recorded TV HD?

For example, Recorded TV can look in multiple directories, ie. it looks in my WMC recorded TV folder (T:\Recorded TV\) as well as where I keep all my converted or downloaded episodes (E:\TV Shows\).

57135366a3142_recordedtvhd.png

It then seamlessly puts anything in those directories together in a show -> season -> episode format:

571356ee3515e_wmc.png

Some episodes may be WMC wtv files, some may be MP4 conversions, and some may be mkv downloads, but Recorded TV HD shows them all together like the above screen shot.

57135709cf988_wmc2.png

Note this episode is a mp4.

571357256f6fe_wmc3.png

Yet this one is a wtv.

However, they will show up in the same season episode list, no need to look in 2 different places.  I can go straight from watching episode 7 of a show to episode 8 within the interface (no need to navigate to a different folder) even if one is a wtv recording and the other is an mp4.  

Does ET already have this capability?  Will it?

• SikSlayer likes this

#2 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

This isn't really specific to ET.  The server has a feature called "Auto Organize" which can take your recorded episodes and move them into your TV library (provided there is enough information to identify them properly).

#3 Spaceboy OFFLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3892 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

As ebr say Emby does it a different way. It doesn't integrate live and recorded tv like recorded tv hd did (I was a very happy user of it too), it moves it once recorded.

#4 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Oh ok, that may work.  (sorry point me to a wiki if I am asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere)

Does the "Auto Organize" feature of Emby Server convert and move it?  Or just simply move the wtv file from T:\Recorded TV to the E:\TV Shows directory, no conversion? 

You also mentioned it was incumbent upon there being enough information to id the file properly.  Does Emby Server use the wtv file name like "The Blacklist_KHNLHD_2015_11_19_20_00_04.wtv" and the metadata WMC embeds in the file to id it like Recorded TV HD does in order to label it Season 3 Episode 8 (in the example above)?

#5 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12306 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

I just created a watch folder. I posted about this, before:

http://emby.media/co...sting/?p=313168

#6 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:17 AM

I just created a watch folder. I posted about this, before:

http://emby.media/co...sting/?p=313168

Thanks, but if I get what you posted in the other forum, your DVR shows and downloaded shows are still in 2 different locations in Emby. I would like them to be in the same location in Emby (different folders on the HTPC, though) so if episode 2 of a show is a downloaded MP4, but episode 3 is a recorded tv wtv, I don't have to navigate to a new location in Emby, they will be in the same location, like in Recorded TV HD. So when episode 2 ends episode 3 will automatically play next.

#7 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12306 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:23 AM

Thanks, but if I get what you posted in the other forum, your DVR shows and downloaded shows are still in 2 different locations in Emby. I would like them to be in the same location in Emby (different folders on the HTPC, though) so if episode 2 of a show is a downloaded MP4, but episode 3 is a recorded tv wtv, I don't have to navigate to a new location in Emby, they will be in the same location, like in Recorded TV HD. So when episode 2 ends episode 3 will automatically play next.

You can do that, you just have it watch both folders. I chose not to do that because some of those shows are old and I didn't want to mix them. The only issue you'll have is that the server will record only to one location.

Edited by Doofus, 18 April 2016 - 01:36 AM.

#8 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:45 AM

You can do that, you just have it watch both folders. I chose not to do that because some of those shows are old and I didn't want to mix them. The only issue you'll have is that the server will record only to one location.

So you mean if I "watch" both my T:\Recorded TV folder and my E:\TV Shoes folder, Emby will create a new folder combining both of them which will appear as one location in Emby?

#9 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12306 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:50 AM

So you mean if I "watch" both my T:\Recorded TV folder and my E:\TV Shoes folder, Emby will create a new folder combining both of them which will appear as one location in Emby?

The server doesn't create a new folder, it just establishes a unified directory that you can name. I also specify my recording folder. That way I know which folder to watch.

5714768c1b977_Snapshot_4.jpg

571476b40dbb3_Snapshot_5.jpg

Edited by Doofus, 18 April 2016 - 01:56 AM.

#10 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:58 AM

The server doesn't create a new folder, it just establishes a unified directory that you can name. I also specify my recording folder. That way I know which folder to watch.

5714768c1b977_Snapshot_4.jpg

571476b40dbb3_Snapshot_5.jpg

I'm still a little confused.

So in your setup, G:\TV is where you download TV episodes to and you also have it setup as an Emby folder "TV". Now how does your separate Emby folder "DVR" content (G:\Recordings\Series) get meshed with the content of "TV" so I can see the content of both those folders in one show.

For example, if you have a recording (wtv) of season 1 episode 2 of Lost in 'G:\Recordings\Series\' and a download (MP4) of season 1 episode 3 of Lost in 'G:\TV\Lost\Season 1\'. Where do I navigate to in Emby Theater to see both those episodes side-by-side? Will both episode 2 & 3 be in "TV > Lost > Season 1"? Or do I have to go into "DVR > Lost > Season 1" to see episode 2 and then back out all the way to the main menu and then navigate to "TV > Lost > Season 1" to see episode 3?

Edited by Wilky13, 18 April 2016 - 03:02 AM.

#11 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12306 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

I'm still a little confused.

So in your setup, G:\TV is where you download TV episodes to and you also have it setup as an Emby folder "TV". Now how does your separate Emby folder "DVR" content (G:\Recordings\Series) get meshed with the content of "TV" so I can see the content of both those folders in one show.

For example, if you have season 1 episode 2 of Lost in 'G:\Recordings\Series\Lost\Season 1' and season 1 episode 3 of Lost in 'G:\TV\Lost\Season 1'. Where do I navigate to in Emby Theater to see both those episodes side-by-side? Will both episode 2 & 3 be in "TV > Lost > Season 1"? Or do I have to go into "DVR > Lost > Season 1" to see episode 2 and then back out all the way to the main menu and then navigate to "TV > Lost > Season 1" to see episode 3?

In my case, they aren't together. I was just trying to show that you can watch multiple folders in one directory. And if you use auto organize, they can be moved to one folder. So if I wanted all my shows (both downloaded and recorded) to be in one Emby group (DVR), when I create DVR in in the server, you instruct it to watch both folders. So even though they are in separate locations on your computer, in Emby, they are all together. Having said that, you have to make sure the directories / naming are correct and similar. The server can get a little confused. I'm wondering if I should create a fully guide for this, to get the best results. There are a few other things I figured out, in my trial and error.

#12 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:00 AM

In my case, they aren't together. I was just trying to show that you can watch multiple folders in one directory. And if you use auto organize, they can be moved to one folder. So if I wanted all my shows (both downloaded and recorded) to be in one Emby group (DVR), when I create DVR in in the server, you instruct it to watch both folders. So even though they are in separate locations on your computer, in Emby, they are all together. Having said that, you have to make sure the directories / naming are correct and similar. The server can get a little confused. I'm wondering if I should create a fully guide for this, to get the best results. There are a few other things I figured out, in my trial and error.

Oh ok, I get it. I can create a new Emby directory "All TV" with a content type of 'TV' and assign both 'T:\Recorded TV' and 'E:\TV Shows' folders to it.

All my downloaded/converted TV follows a '\showname\season X\showname - sXXeYY - episodename.mp4' format and Emby has no problems with it. But WMC just dumps all recordings into 'T:\Recorded TV' and uses embedded metadata to sort in WMC. Question is, can Emby use the wtv file's embedded metadata to sort it along side the downloaded/converted episodes?

#13 Vidman OFFLINE  

Vidman

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2662 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 PM

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:41 AM

Note that if you have episodes of the same show spanning across the two locations emby currently will show them as separate items ie you will have two versions of the tv show in Emby

Edited by Vidman, 18 April 2016 - 05:42 AM.

#14 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

You can't do exactly what you are asking for right now but why do you wish to do it that way?

I mean, if you want all of the episodes to show under the TV series/season properly, why are you also concerned about maintaining a "recorded TV" folder?  Just auto organize everything and it will all be in your TV library...

#15 SikSlayer OFFLINE  

SikSlayer

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 626 posts
  • LocationEast Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

I've been meaning to ask about this for a LONG time but never got around to it. Recorded TV HD totally replaces the Recorded TV section of WMC because of how well it works. I can just have all my recordings and converted or downloaded pre-converted recordings all in the same folder where recordings belong in the first place, and RTVHD will sift through them all.

Auto Organize is a nice similar feature, but I don't want to move, or convert the files. I just want it to be recognized and displayed in an organized fashion like RTVHD does. In fact, what I would really like is for those shows to be shown as a part of my recorded shows, not my regular library.

I think this is a good feature, and the logic isn't very complicated. So long as the file is named properly, it should be pretty simple to identify what show and which episode it is.

• Wilky13 likes this

#16 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12306 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

You can't do exactly what you are asking for right now but why do you wish to do it that way?

I mean, if you want all of the episodes to show under the TV series/season properly, why are you also concerned about maintaining a "recorded TV" folder?  Just auto organize everything and it will all be in your TV library...

Ok, so first, auto-organize has issues. It's far from perfect. I have shows that i've downloaded that are no longer being aired. I have them archived in a way that I don't want changed. When trying to integrate them into the 'recorded' folder, the server couldn't reconcile them. Auto-organize completely messed up my archive. I had to rebuild it, manually. Trying different ways to accomplish this, I lost count of the times I had to correct the damage it did. And when it did change it, the directory structure that was implemented, was ridiculous. I had to go through 5 or 6 layers to get to an episode. I finally got to something that works the way I want it. The other aspect is that some of us have archives on separate drives, and we build our systems around available space. If we allow auto-organize to move files as it sees fit, it could very well screw up our space management. And then there's good old trusty, I just don't want them moved. I like them where I put them.

UPDATE: I just tried integrating, again. To get it to work you have to set to watch both folders.....then (important) you need to restart the server, and rescan the library. Then they all show up.

5715998a01c0d_Snapshot_6.jpg

5715999e8ccf9_Snapshot_7.jpg

571599f76f769_Snapshot_8.jpg

Edited by Doofus, 18 April 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#17 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:00 AM

I've been meaning to ask about this for a LONG time but never got around to it. Recorded TV HD totally replaces the Recorded TV section of WMC because of how well it works. I can just have all my recordings and converted or downloaded pre-converted recordings all in the same folder where recordings belong in the first place, and RTVHD will sift through them all.

Auto Organize is a nice similar feature, but I don't want to move, or convert the files. I just want it to be recognized and displayed in an organized fashion like RTVHD does. In fact, what I would really like is for those shows to be shown as a part of my recorded shows, not my regular library.

I think this is a good feature, and the logic isn't very complicated. So long as the file is named properly, it should be pretty simple to identify what show and which episode it is.

I am surprised more people don't use Recorded TV HD.  It is a great program.  Doesn't look like it gets any updates anymore, though.

Edited by Wilky13, 19 April 2016 - 04:00 AM.

• SikSlayer likes this

#18 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:03 AM

Ok, so first, auto-organize has issues. It's far from perfect. I have shows that i've downloaded that are no longer being aired. I have them archived in a way that I don't want changed. When trying to integrate them into the 'recorded' folder, the server couldn't reconcile them. Auto-organize completely messed up my archive. I had to rebuild it, manually. Trying different ways to accomplish this, I lost count of the times I had to correct the damage it did. And when it did change it, the directory structure that was implemented, was ridiculous. I had to go through 5 or 6 layers to get to an episode. I finally got to something that works the way I want it. The other aspect is that some of us have archives on separate drives, and we build our systems around available space. If we allow auto-organize to move files as it sees fit, it could very well screw up our space management. And then there's good old trusty, I just don't want them moved. I like them where I put them.

UPDATE: I just tried integrating, again. To get it to work you have to set to watch both folders.....then (important) you need to restart the server, and rescan the library. Then they all show up.

So in your middle screen shoot those TV shows are recorded TV and converted TV integrated together!?  Did the files in G:\Recordings\Series stay there and the ones in G:\TV stay in place too, or did Emby re-package them all together in a new locations?

That reminded me to ask you.  Are the recordings all dumped in the root folder of G:\Recordings\Series\ or are they parsed to subfolders of each series name and season?  Unfortuanalty, WMC dumps all the recordings in the same directory, there is no subfolder organization.

Edited by Wilky13, 19 April 2016 - 04:04 AM.

#19 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:06 AM

Does "auto organize" move files?  Recorded TV HD would be okay with this as long as it was looking at where the new directory was, but it would break WMC's default Recorded TV from finding them.

The main reason I do this is because I have 3 types of shows.

1) Downloaded (mp4s) that get moved to E:\TV Shows\Showname\Season X\showname - sXXeYY - episodename.mp4

2) Converted network recorded shows (wtv converted to mp4 with MCEBuddy) that also get moved to E:\TV Shows\Showname\Season X\showname - sXXeYY - episodename.mp4

3) Non-convertable cable recorded shows (all my non-network is copy protected so I can't convert them, wtv), these stay in T:\Recorded TV\

So even though I may have episodes 1-7 of a show in the above category 2, if episodes 8-15 haven't been converted yet and are still sitting in category 3 above, Recorded TV HD still shows all 15 episodes together in the same place like this:

5715e9b93573b_wmc.png

Edited by Wilky13, 19 April 2016 - 04:18 AM.

#20 Wilky13 OFFLINE  

Wilky13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:22 AM

Note that if you have episodes of the same show spanning across the two locations emby currently will show them as separate items ie you will have two versions of the tv show in Emby

So are you saying in the case I posted above even if I add both E:\TV Shows\ and T:\Recorded TV\ to the same Emby directory and episodes 1-7 of 'The Blacklist' are in E:\TV Shows\ and episodes 8-15 are in T:\Recorded TV\ I will have 2 instances of 'The Blacklist' instead of one instance with all 15 episodes?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recorded tv, tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users