FACEBOOK PAGE POSTING

pir8radio
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

pir8radio

The option within emby to automatically post new content to a specific facebook PAGE.

I would like to setup a facebook page for my emby server, a page that all of my users can follow..  I can post server maintenance messages on this facebook, as well as newly added media...   But i would like the newly added media to be automatic...    So within emby maybe have a setting for the address of a specific facebook PAGE & login info, so any newly added media from selected categories (movies, music, music videos or whatever is checked) will get automatically posted on the facebook page timeline.

You might have to get rid of your facebook analytics stuff running within emby server...  But it would be a great feature for me, and anyone who has a bunch of remote users..  I cant even do this manually at the moment due to the FB Domain Insights Analytics code you have in emby, maybe start by getting rid of that  FB code on the Shared media links? That would really help out as a quick fix first step.

BuiltWith Result:

http://builtwith.com/?http%3a%2f%2fguest.notallmine.net%2femby%2fweb%2fshared.html%3fid%3d17286c312aa64e59a243ebb81a2717ea

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
swhitmore

Interesting idea, but tbh, wouldn't email notifications be more appropriate for the kind of scenarios you mentioned?

pir8radio

Interesting idea, but tbh, wouldn't email notifications be more appropriate for the kind of scenarios you mentioned?

When is the last time you gave out your email to receive updates about a website? I would have to collect email addresses from my emby users.   I hate giving mine out...   But i'm ok with liking a page that i want to see updates on.    FB pages also includes tracking/stats on those updates/posts.  Users can intermingle, comment on them.  Its would be a much better experience for the emby admin and users.

pir8radio

I just noticed there is a facebook share function on the web GUI now!  YAY!  However its still an advertisement for EMBY and not what we are actually sharing.. when clicked it goes to the shared media, but facebook people dont know what they are clicking.  If that were changed that would be great...  need to remove <meta property="fb:app_id" content="1618309211750238"> & <meta property="og:url" content="http://emby.media"> Instead reflect our server or shared media page URL here..

5746512851d9a_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

swhitmore

When is the last time you gave out your email to receive updates about a website? I would have to collect email addresses from my emby users.   I hate giving mine out...   But i'm ok with liking a page that i want to see updates on.    FB pages also includes tracking/stats on those updates/posts.  Users can intermingle, comment on them.  Its would be a much better experience for the emby admin and users.

Each to their own, but I disagree. I would be giving out my email before my personal Facebook details. I also would have thought that you would have the email address of your users if you're using Emby Connect to send them invites to the server.

pir8radio

I don't use nor want to use emby connect.  I want a stand alone server...  That's why I originally went with emby over Plex.  

No fb details get shared.. Plus if you are on facebook its as personal as you make it..  It was easy to find your facebook.  ;)  and I have no real info about you..       I guess I'm an open book, I understand there is no privacy on the internet.. lol  but I can see your point..  If an email function is doable and doesn't require emby connect, and doesn't share my users email with any third parties, I can assure my users imaginary privacy, I'm down for that!

My main thing is getting rid of this meta tag so i can share on FB without an emby AD.

<meta property="fb:app_id" content="1618309211750238"> & <meta property="og:url" content="http://emby.media">

Edited by pir8radio

swhitmore

I don't use nor want to use emby connect.  I want a stand alone server...  That's why I originally went with emby over Plex.  

Sorry I don't understand this part. Emby Connect still works as a stand alone server, it just makes inviting and sharing ALOT easier. I would actually think in your case that EC would be perfect for you and your users.

pir8radio

Sorry I don't understand this part. Emby Connect still works as a stand alone server, it just makes inviting and sharing ALOT easier. I would actually think in your case that EC would be perfect for you and your users.

Stand alone, as in no third party servers required.   

bfir3

I thought you needed to register on the Emby website to use Emby connect. If that's still the case, then I don't think it would fit the needs for his userbase.

• Like 1

pir8radio

app.emby.media is not my server.   as much as i would like it to be..   :)    app.emby.media also holds the ip address to my server, and if the emby servers are down emby connect doesn't work...  so i'm pretty sure for emby connect to work it relies on third party servers....     Yes it may act as a "tracker" to point clients to my server, clients are actually connecting to my server, but third party servers are acting as the traffic controller..    those same third party servers are what send the invite email to my users, which means emby.media has all of my users email addresses or rather forces them to register with the emby.media servers/site...   which is fine, i'm sure they are not using them for anything, Just not what i'm looking for.    I do enjoy the conversation though, i hope I didn't waste too much of your time!   :o    since i use a reverse proxy ill probably end up stripping out the facebook app meta tag from the back end server with an html rewrite and sharing like that..  again I didn't mean to wast anyone's time, but appreciate the responses for sure!! 

Edited by pir8radio

swhitmore

Thats ok. I just did want you, or anyone else reading this to be confused on what Emby Connect does. You don't need to use app.emby.media, and it's not a third party server. You can use your own standalone server. Emby Connect is mainly a way to easily connect apps, login, and share your server using an Emby Account (i.e your email/forum login).

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Thats ok. I just did want you, or anyone else reading this to be confused on what Emby Connect does. You don't need to use app.emby.media, and it's not a third party server. You can use your own standalone server. Emby Connect is mainly a way to easily connect apps, login, and share your server using an Emby Account (i.e your email/forum login).

Maybe I am confused on what Emby connect is/does.   So if I unplug my internet connection from my home, how do I invite my girlfriend who is upstairs on the same network (LAN) to connect to my emby server?   If the answer is i need an internet connection, then that request needs to leave my home and hit a server outside of my network, aka a third party server.     Just trying to be clear.  :)   and app.emby.media is a third party server, because i don't own it, another party does.

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

i thought twitter was more in vogue now?

^_^

i thought twitter was more in vogue now?

Twitter is awaiting a buy-out, probably. You know google is going to gobble it up pac-man style. I assume the price has to be right though and google is just waiting for their share price to plummet to a low enough value.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pir8radio

There we go...    :P

<link removed, It has expired>

Edited by pir8radio

Just for clarification on Connect, you are both correct to an extent.  Think of Emby Connect as a dynamic DNS service.  That is basically all it is.  It is just used to map the user to your server in a friendly way.

So, yes, it requires our servers for the connection, but, once that is made, nothing is going through us.  It is a direct connection to your server.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Just for clarification on Connect, you are both correct to an extent.  Think of Emby Connect as a dynamic DNS service.  That is basically all it is.  It is just used to map the user to your server in a friendly way.

So, yes, it requires our servers for the connection, but, once that is made, nothing is going through us.  It is a direct connection to your server.

Thanks for the input.  we need a block diagram.   :D

bfir3

I can't speak for pir8radio, but I can say that for the way I use and manage my Emby server, I have no need or desire for Emby connect. Like pir8radio, I run Emby under reverse proxy and have a domain name that I provide to all my users. If I have a friend or family member who is interesed in joining the server, I will simply provide them with my server's domain name and create an account for them to use. Using the domain name and local accounts, my users don't need to know anything about Emby or worry about any registration or additional settings. I even provide a simple registration form for new users with a Register button on my login page. It just submits a form with their desired username and logs it in a simple text file, which I can use to create accounts for those people later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
pir8radio

I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I tried emby connect today, I am customizing my emby server via my reverse proxy, changing logos and what not...  It looks like emby connect is accessing my server as an APP?  Stripping my changes.  Meaning that users do NOT directly connect with my server they connect with emby servers and streams of selective data are grabbed directly from my server and sent directly to the client, other images and html bits are being supplied from the emby connect servers. 

For example this menu logo image is defiantly coming from emby servers, looks like there are all kinds of bits (javascript, images, the Html files, css, etc) coming from emby servers.  This is what I was saying I didn't want.  Not trying to sir poo, just making sure others looking for info understand.

5752e1e744e0a_connect.png

Edited by pir8radio

chef

I can't speak for pir8radio, but I can say that for the way I use and manage my Emby server, I have no need or desire for Emby connect. Like pir8radio, I run Emby under reverse proxy and have a domain name that I provide to all my users. If I have a friend or family member who is interesed in joining the server, I will simply provide them with my server's domain name and create an account for them to use. Using the domain name and local accounts, my users don't need to know anything about Emby or worry about any registration or additional settings. I even provide a simple registration form for new users with a Register button on my login page. It just submits a form with their desired username and logs it in a simple text file, which I can use to create accounts for those people later.

This is interesting. Does an FTP server contain emby? Or does it reroute to your computer somehow?

I'm new when it comes to this type of thing... Forgive the noobie question.