Not loading metadata from second source

kcdh

kcdh

Hi again,  

I"ve put metadata  settings back to default but I'm still having some issues with cast members and guests.  I've created a test library consisting of several tv shows before I add the rest (100s) in order to assess how well it works for and to get the settings correct.  Out of the five shows, one has loaded all cast members and guests perfectly.  The remaining four have varying issues:

1) By the Sword Divided consists of 2 seasons with 10 episodes each.  Season regulars display in 13 of 20 episodes.  In the 7 where the season regulars are not displayed, writer and director are.  The writer and director are not listed in TMDB for each episode of this show, however.  Is this metadata being retrieved from another source?  Is that why season regulars do not display for those episodes?  Also, guest stars are displayed in one out of two episodes containing guest stars (I'm not including the episodes where the season regulars do not display).  

2) Demons consist of one season containing 6 episodes.  Episodes do not display season regulars, only writer/director (which are on the TMDB episode pages).  Guest stars display for 5 of 6 episodes, but 2 episodes do not display all guest stars.  

3) That Mitchell & Webb Show consists of 4 seasons with 6 episodes each. Season regulars display in 23 of 24 episodes. On the remaining episode a director is displayed but he is not listed in TMDB.  

4) I have four seasons (10 episodes each) for Game of Thrones.  Cast members and their parts are listed on the main page.  All cast members on the episode pages are listed as guest stars.  Each episode contains 15 to 18 season regulars (listed as guest stars) and the writer/directors.  This number does not correspond with the season regulars as there are over 60 in each season on TMDB.  In episodes where there are actual guest stars, they display approximately 75% of the time.  In season Three, 7 of 10 episodes only display the writer and director.  All episodes in season Four only display the writer and director ( no cast or guests).  

Is there a specific setting for guest stars that i might be missing?  Also,  is there a way to refresh all the actor photos at once as many of them do not display unless refreshed. 

Despite the difficulties listed above, I really enjoy emby, particularly the being able to have cast lists for TV as well as guest stars listed.  The ability to edit cast list is great too.  None of that capability is in plex, which I've been using for some years now.  

Thanks for your help!

we currently don't do any automatic merging of casts from series to seasons to episodes, so as a result you're only going to see whatever the cast is that the metadata provider provides for that particular episode. It might very well be near empty and then they expect the presentation to merge them.

kcdh

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic merging." The shows that I cited as examples do not appear to be having all the metadata pulled. Some shows are not hainvg metadata pulled consistently for all episodes even though that data is in TMDB. Am I correct that for a particular tv show, if the default settings for metadata are in place, emby retrieves the series cast list from TVDB and then the season and episode casting from TMDB (as TVDB contains no casting data below the series/show level)? Also, is what I view on the screen for any show at both TMDB or TVDB what will be pulled (as long as there is sufficient waiting period from when the data was entered in TVDB or TMDB)? In the shows I am having difficulty with in my test library, the data is present in the listings on the TMDB web site. I have input much of it myself on that site. I'm trying to figure out why guest stars (which is episode level data) are not always being pulled even for the same series. Also, the Game of Thrones example, the data on TMDB is consistent throughout all seasons of the series, but when it is pulled by emby, the data for some episodes is pulled and others not, and even though all the cast member entries for Game of Thrones in TMDB are listed with their character names, emby displays them all as guest stars. It doesn't do this for any of the other shows - it either has their character name or is blank if whomever entered the data into TMDB or TVDB didn't list it.  I've attached some screenshots to facilitate the issues.  

Screenshots.zip

Edited by kcdh

No, that's not correct. Default settings prefer Tvdb with Tmdb off. Tmdb requires one http request per episode. Tvdb is much faster since we can get the entire series and episode metadatas in a single zip download. There is a lot of pressure from users to keep the scan as fast as possible, so that is why Tmdb for episodes is off by default.

kcdh

Ok.  I didn't where it had been said to leave TMDB off.  I think I understand now. So, because I had still had TMDB on for episodes but below TVDB, it was pulling some of the metadata but not all.  Is there a plan to include functionality in the future where the episode name, date, description and cast are pulled from TVDB and the season regulars and guest cast are pulled from TMDB?  What metadata is retrieved from TMDB for season as that is the only option?  TMDB has fewer restrictions on adding cast members, so a more thorough cast is possible.  I realize that you recommend TVDB first and TMDB off for episode metadata retrieval, but if a user has TMDB on and first and TVDB second or off, do you maintain the metadata to be retrieved at your level the user can access it?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about maintain at your level, other than yes if you want Tmdb first then you can certainly do that.

kcdh

I was referring to the scraping of metadata (not sure if I'm using the precise terms).  When an emby user retrieves from a metadata source, do they go straight to the source or is it downloaded every few days or so and maintained elsewhere as to not flood the providers with metadata requests?  

As TMDB is the only provider at the season level, what fields are populated?  Also, will future functionality allow a user to scrape specific fields within a level (series/season/episode) from more than one source?  i.e. episode name, airdate and description from TVDB and episode cast/guest stars from TMDB?

Thanks!  

Tmdb and Tvdb have short term caches of a couple days. Yes perhaps one day we'll have per-field settings. 

• 1 month later...

I've posted the mac version of the new release a little early so that new users can start getting it now. You can grab it from the website if you'd like to try it:

http://emby.media/mac-server.html

The release is not up on the blog yet but you can read the changelist from the latest beta:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

Lots of performance improvements, bug fixes, and a few new features. Enjoy.

Maybe it's worth to note that there have been mrecent changes to the OMDB providers to pocess actors, writer and director information.

There's even another poposed change to use full plot/overview information from OMDB (no longer saving to the unused "ShortOverview" field).

What I can't tell is when these changes will be included into the different release types (Release, Beta, Dev)...

• 6 years later...