Not loading metadata from second source

kcdh

Him 

I'm a new user to embody but have been using Plex for many years so I have a general knowledge of metadata.  For my movie section, I have both TMDB and OMDB checked with TMDB on top.  I seem to have two problems with metadata retrieval:  1) emby doesn't seem to be going to OMDB as a secondary source when no entry exists in TMBD or for empty fields.  2) when i try manually identify the movie and embry retrieves it from OMDB, not all the data is pulled and it seems to vary from item to item.  The title, year, genre and rating are always pulled, but its not getting either the crew/actors or the overview or both.  In two instances, the metadata manager contained the plot/overview but it wasn't displayed when looked at the movie in server view.  One move that was incorrectly identified kept the wrong actors/crew but changed everything else when I manually identified it.   

I'd appreciate all help with these issues.  

Thanks!

Hi, there are some fixes to the identify feature coming in the next release so i would retry then, thanks. as far as omdb not being used as a source, it probably is being used but the search is just not returning anything. that would be my guess at least.

hi 

thanks for the reply. Its good to here that some identification fixes are upcoming.  As for the search not returning anything, I'm pretty confident that it is.  I've run a search of omdb and the missing fields are there. I've attached a screen capture as one example.  This mini series, All or Nothing at all (1993),  originally misidentified as Sinatra:  All or Nothing at All (2015). I manually identified the item, and as visible in the screen capture, the title, year, cover and rating changed, but the plot didn't update and the cast remained for the original misidentified item.  I've noticed this issue only with omdb.  When I manually identify items and emby pulls from TMDB, everything is replaced/updated.  5710c9d6c6be7_Screenshot20160415065551.p

Ok yea this is a specific scenario we need to improve on a little. We get the Imdb id from Omdb, and then we try to use that to find the record on MovieDb using MovieDb's lookup by Imdb id. Problem is it doesn't have that Imdb id on file so it returns nothing. So we need to recover from that scenario by doing a new search on MovieDb and we're just not doing that yet. For more mainstream titles this generally doesn't happen.

I think I understand.  I know that the movies I'm having issues with are not on MovieDb. Does emby pull metadata from omdb if the movie isn't in MoveDB?  In one instance, the plot wasn't displayed on the movie's page in emby but it is visible in the metadata manager.  

default settings have omdb first so we save it's description in the short description field and let the longer MovieDb descriptions become primary. But I guess to handle this situation we'll have to save it in both. actually that's tricky because then if the moviedb is second it won't be able to overwrite. I'll have to think about this but for now since this only affects more obscure titles i can't make a change that might negatively affect other scenarios.

i would leave that order at default personally, which has omdb on top. you'll still get cast lists.

will it pull the cast lists from MovieDB if omdb is first or only if that field is empty in omdb?  also, where are the cast lists pulled from for tv shows?

yes, we don't get casts from omdb. for tv, same situation, so whatever source is after omdb.

What order do you recommend for tv shows?  I have TheTVDB followed by omdb followed by MovieDB.  Are cast lists pulled from TheTVDB? Thanks for your help!

Thanks for being so helpful.  I have one last question.  I've changed the defaults and do not see where I can revert to those.  Could you please tell me the default metadata setting order?

tv should be omdb -> tvdb -> tmdb

@@Luke, are you sure about this? Omdb has just been added recently (by me ;-) for episodes.

I think episodes should be tvdb -> tmdb -> omdb

PS: omdb doesn't do caching. Disable it to improve scan times.

I'm a bit confused.  What should the order be for episodes?  If TMDB isn't first in either episodes or series,  will the guest stars still be listed?  I prefer TVDB but find that if a particular actor that I follow has a small part in a show, its easier to input them in TMDB than TVDB.   

Will that pull in all the guest stars from tmdb?  Also, if i edit the cast on either tmdb or tvdb web site, is there a procedure for getting it to update in my library?  In Plex for instance, I would have to wait a few days then delete the item from my library, delete the agent cache and then reload into my library.  A mere refresh or unmatch then match wouldn't work.  

Thanks for your help!

Same idea. we have a cache as well and it also can take time to before it is made available through the provider api's. Best thing to do is make your change on Tmdb, then give it a few days and refresh your content.

do i need to delete anything within my library or within emby or does the refresh replace the previous metadata?