Apple TV - button for Album Artist in music library

Michael K.
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Michael K.

I would like to have a button for Album Artist, within a music library, on the Apple TV, so that I can view my music collection by the Artist who released the album.

Currently, there is a button only for Artist, which displays all individual artists associated to every track, even if they were only a featured artist or otherwise.

The browser (I'm using Firefox) shows both options... so it would be great to have both options on the Apple TV as well. For your reference, I attached a screenshot of my browser and circled the options in red.

-Michael

post-126210-0-48602500-1460581419_thumb.jpeg

Actually, the two are combined in the Apple TV app right now.  So, you are seeing both.

Michael K.

Okay, I see.

Would you be open to adding the extra button or are you definitely keeping them combined?

I prefer how the browser has them separated, because it easier and faster to browse my collection by the release artists.  With them combined, it creates a lot of clutter from artists who are irrelevant.  Featured artists and other kinds of artists are not of interest most of the time, for me.

I may just back it off to only Album Artists.  I really don't want a huge number of buttons up there...

We'll see what feedback we get from others.

Michael K.

I agree with you on having as few buttons as possible. I like the design and it's been easy to navigate.

I would suggest that it's more common for people to view by Album Artist only, so having only Album Artist might reduce the amount of information the user needs to do to look through.

If it were reduced to Album Artist only, I would suggest that that user could query the search for a specific Artist... that being the more least used sorting method.

I don't know if you collect stats from the browser use... but if you do you could measure the popularity between the two buttons. 

Hope those were useful suggestions. Thanks for the great support as always!

orcist

I would also prefer the Album Artist over the combined Artist button. 

And thank you for another exceptional app.

• Solution

I would also prefer the Album Artist over the combined Artist button. 

And thank you for another exceptional app.

This was implemented a couple days ago.  Re-start your app and be sure you are on the latest version (1.0.6 at this time).

• Like 1

Michael K.

This was implemented a couple days ago.  Re-start your app and be sure you are on the latest version (1.0.6 at this time).

I just tried it out and I love this change. Thanks for making the change.