Server shows up twice

jhs39

jhs39

I had a problem where I had to uninstall Emby Server from my computer because it could not complete a library scan.  I tried various things I found on the forums but nothing worked, so I uninstalled Emby, ran CC Cleaner, reinstalled Emby and recreated my libraries. 

Now, however, when I open the Emby Roku app my computer server shows up twice and I need to select one of the servers every time I open the app before I can watch anything.  Previously the app just opened to the media browsing screen.

Is there any way to get rid of the duplicate server entry and make the Roku app directly sign in without my having the server selection screen come up every time?

As soon as you click on a server you have to choose either "Connect to Server" or "Remove Server"

jhs39

It doesn't work.  I click remove server, I get a please wait message, and then the app goes back to the server selection screen and they are both still there.  I tried deleting each one.  I tried it with Emby signed out on my computer.  It doesn't matter.  I still have two servers for my computer show up.  :(  I think I might have screwed something up with Emby Connect where I show up as a user rather than the administrator of my server.  Could that be the problem? 

whichever one you tried to delete, try to delete the other one. if the app auto-detects a server then that one will keep coming back as long as it's detected.

There is one "sure fire" way to fix it. You need to reset the registry data the app keeps. You have to delete every app that uses that developerID. I believe luke uses a different developerID for the stable than the beta/zip. So you should just need to delete the app and readd it. This should reset the app completely and require setup again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jhs39, yes.. On the roku, registry is tied to an applications developerID. If every application tied to this ID is deleted from your roku it will remove the registry for that application. This is the fastest way to resolve issues if you mess up. Its like using "factory reset". Now add the application back and it should resolve the issue immediately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jhs39

That didn't work.  I deleted all the Emby versions I had on my Roku--the official app, the old Media Centre and the Blue Neon Light Themed Version.  I rebooted my Roku.  I added back the Blue Neon Light Themed Version, since that is the one I use daily.  It still shows that my computer is running two servers with the exact same name--and clicking on either one brings me to the screen where I choose the user (Joe) and then my library appears.  Either works exactly the same.  I cannot delete either one.  I cannot go straight into the Roku app since it is forcing me to choose the server and user every time.  :angry:

jhs39

I thought I found the problem--I have a folder called system and another called system.old that seemed to have identical files, including the MediaBrowserServerApplication.exe so I figured that must be the reason Roku thinks I am running two servers.  I deleted the old folder--which did nothing.  Still two servers showing up in Roku.  Is the System.old folder something that Emby normally creates?  Should I return it even though my server seems to be functioning the same without it?

Happy2Play

Yes, the system.old folder is the previous server version.  Every time you update the server the old version is backed up to .old.  So you are able to rollback your server, most of the time to the previous version unless there are major database updates.

jhs39

I never saw anything in the Emby menus that gave you the option of rolling back to the previous version.  Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll just have to put up with the extra server showing up in Roku and not being able to go straight into the app like I was previously able to since there doesn't seem to be a solution. 

jhs39

I'm using Windows 10 built in firewall and Emby is just set to be allowed to go through.  Not sure how I would check if it's going through two ports.  I'm not that computer savvy. 

jhs39

The firewall shows two lines for mediabrowser.server.application--one for TCP and one for UDP.  For both ports just say any.

mediacowboy

I was thinking I have seen this before on the forums when a user has two network cables plugged into their computer.