Select video stream from multi-video MKV

tobby

tobby

MKVs are capable of having multiple video streams inside of it. Some BluRays make use of multiple video streams, like animated films where some content like signs is translated to different languages. Or some films do have several video streams with additional content like a "before-CGI" version of the movie. Or you can choose of 2D video vs. 3D video.

Kodi will support this in "Krypton" (version 17). http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216672

So this works, when using "Direct Play".

But not in other Emby-Apps or when transcoding. You can choose audio, you can choose subtitles, but not video.

So it would be nice to have a "picker" for the video stream in Emby apps :)

• Like 9

In general the more complicated you make things, the more work that is going to be required by software in order to handle it. Yes this can certainly be supported, but a lot of devices can't handle this, so you're going to see less ability to direct play doing this sort of thing than if you just keep it simple.

• Facepalm 1

bfir3

In general the more complicated you make things, the more work that is going to be required by software in order to handle it. Yes this can certainly be supported, but a lot of devices can't handle this, so you're going to see less ability to direct play doing this sort of thing than if you just keep it simple.

I'm curious to know why this wouldn't just be an option, similar to Audio Track selection. Wouldn't we only see less ability to direct play/stream when selecting a secondary video track?

• Like 2

tobby

So this is a standard feature of MKV. Clients, who crash on directly playing such an MKV should not exist or they are buggy.

This leads us to the following:

Direct Play:

- Clients who support it (like Kodi >= 17): It will just work, nothing to do

- Clients who don't support it (like Kodi < 17): It will just play the standard video stream. This is ok, so you can't see the bonuses. But nothing to do for Emby here.

Direct Stream:

- You need one more "picker" to choose the video stream. Emby then has to stream the chosen video stream. But nothing to do on any client except for the picker. Just as chosing audio stream and subtitles.

Transcode:

- Same as direct stream. Just one "picker" and then the Emby-Server has to transcode the right video stream. Same as audio stream and subtitles.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
fonzie

I'm curious if this has been given anymore thought.

Currently, I'm using the name convention for different resolution sizes:

movie title - 2160p.mkv

movie title - 1080p.mkv

however, I don't think my CPU supports transcoding 4k because it chokes up whenever I try to play a video file that has both resolutions.  I know it's supposed to choose the best option, but it seems to be defaulting to the 2160p file regardless.

It would be nice to be able to merge both video files and select the appropriate one to play just as we do with subtitles.  I know that it adds complexity but I think it would be a great addition.

This could also be extended to merging Rated/Unrated/Extended/Director's Cuts versions all on the same file.

I use the emby addon for kodi and have it set to direct stream and choosing the video streams that way works perfectly.  Being able to choose the appropriate stream when using emby outside of the network would be so perfect and take it to the next level.

I hope this is taken into consideration.  Emby is awesome and I've been a proud supporter for quite some time now.  

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

I'm curious if this has been given anymore thought.

Currently, I'm using the name convention for different resolution sizes:

movie title - 2160p.mkv

movie title - 1080p.mkv

however, I don't think my CPU supports transcoding 4k because it chokes up whenever I try to play a video file that has both resolutions.  I know it's supposed to choose the best option, but it seems to be defaulting to the 2160p file regardless.

It would be nice to be able to merge both video files and select the appropriate one to play just as we do with subtitles.  I know that it adds complexity but I think it would be a great addition.

This could also be extended to merging Rated/Unrated/Extended/Director's Cuts versions all on the same file.

I use the emby addon for kodi and have it set to direct stream and choosing the video streams that way works perfectly.  Being able to choose the appropriate stream when using emby outside of the network would be so perfect and take it to the next level.

I hope this is taken into consideration.  Emby is awesome and I've been a proud supporter for quite some time now.  

I'm running into this same issue, I can start a transcode playback on my phone and it will alway try transcoding the 4k file, never drops to using the 1080p version.

• Like 2

fonzie

This is resolved for the next release, thanks.

Which is resolved:

The ability to autoplay the appropriate resolution file automatically?

Or

The ability to play multi-stream video files and manually select the desired one like subtitles?

I'm hoping for the latter, but I'm assuming it's the former.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
warrentc3
On 3/31/2017 at 3:32 PM, fonzie said:

The ability to play multi-stream video files and manually select the desired one like subtitles?

+1 for this 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
warrentc3

Emby can see multiple video tracks there.... 

image.thumb.png.a6aa694dede566ba4614f1d982a17511.png

But it doesn't know what to do with it, i guess....

image.png.cda14fc5270efd96a91080f9d3d5266c.png

Edited by warrentc3

• 10 months later...
SUSCHULTE
On 3/31/2017 at 9:32 PM, fonzie said:

+1

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 2:32 PM, fonzie said:

The ability to play multi-stream video files and manually select the desired one like subtitles

+1

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Wow, it has been 8 years and this basic feature has not been implemented yet?! This is as basic as having to select the audio stream.

Please implement this. You already have all the elements you need (selecting video dialog) like when there are 2 files. If you say that it doesn't work on certain systems, then do it for the ones that work like android TV.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
tobby

Yes, look's like this request will hit at least 10 years without implementation :D

• Haha 1