Feature Request: View metadata in file-mode

jabba80

jabba80

Hello,

I'd like to make a feature request for this great KODI-Plugin. (Perhaps the devs can add it to the trello-board so we can see the user acceptance?)

In the classic KODI-setup you let the indexer create a database with much metadata. So you could browse your Library and lookup some meta-data (fanart, plot, trailer etc.).

Which is working perfectly fine in this new promising setup with emby and the emby-kodi-plugin.

BUT: if you used (classic KODI-setup)  "VIDEOS->Files" to access your media-library via filesystem-structure you were able to request the metadata of a file that was previously added to the media-library via the context-menu (even you are in the file-view).

So what I'd like to see in a future version is either

•  beeing able to browse the library via filesystem-structure
  •  or better: if I add the folder of my media-library to my KODI (manually in VIDOES (no indexer)), i'd like to have the possibility to get the metadata of a file if it is in the emby-library.

I know that will be not as easy as it sounds, because the emby-library is "harder seperated" from the "file-view" of KODI than its own library.

But perhaps someone has an idea how to restore that (classic) feature in the new way of using KODI with a central mediaserver.

Greetings

jabba80

edit:

first suggestion by myself: perhaps it would be a comparatively easy way to save a key-hash in the nfo file in the media-folder which links to the related emby-database entry? But would the file-view mode be able to evaluate this relation?

Edited by jabba80

xnappo

File mode uses the NFO to get the info.  Impossible for it to work with plugin redirection, but if you switch to direct paths it will work as before.

Weird request though, why would you want to use file mode?

jabba80

I like the "fallback-possibility" to browse my media-files by file-mode. (Perhaps a habit from the golden Popcorn-Hour ages :D)

In that mode it was quite comfy to have the direct link to the library-entry.

I just thought it would be nice to have the full look-and-feel when using emby + kodi-plugin.

Isn't the aim of the new kodi-plugin to integrate in the kodi-system so you don't recognize any difference?

I could imagine I am not the only one who likes browsing his media files by zapping through the folder-structure.

How does KODI itself refer to its library-entries in that mode?

PS: where did you discover the TARDIS? :)

Edited by jabba80

xnappo

Hi @@jabba80 - well we want to make it as seamless as possible, but we can only do so much as Kodi is Kodi.

Kodi uses the NFO in the directory when in file mode (as well as the art).  So again - you can get it to work, just change the Emby setting in settings->Sync Options->Playback mode to 'native', and make sure Emby server is set up to create .NFO files.

xnappo

P.S. It is the police box outside the "Earl's Court" tube station in London :)

Edited by xnappo

Vidman

I like the "fallback-possibility" to browse my media-files by file-mode. (Perhaps a habit from the golden Popcorn-Hour ages :D)

In that mode it was quite comfy to have the direct link to the library-entry.

I just thought it would be nice to have the full look-and-feel when using emby + kodi-plugin.

Isn't the aim of the new kodi-plugin to integrate in the kodi-system so you don't recognize any difference?

I could imagine I am not the only one who likes browsing his media files by zapping through the folder-structure.

How does KODI itself refer to its library-entries in that mode?

PS: where did you discover the TARDIS? :)

The aim of the addon is to turn kodi into a emby client