which adroid tv box should I choose. New on this market...

plessers@gmail.com

epayson85

I use my Android box (Shield) and have full TrueHD/DTSHd support through Kodi/EmbySync.  Audio Receiver is hooked up to it and have no issues.  

The Emby apps, as well as Kodi work much better on the shield than devices such as the FTV, FTV2, FTV Stick, etc.  If using the Emby app the codec support is much better than any of the Fire devices, or the other Android devices I've used.  As for being too expensive, you are comparing it to a Nexus Player at clearance price.  The original purchase price for the Nexus Player was $125, so in all reality original MSRP for the shield is only $75 more than it was originally for the NP.  And let's be honest, most people did not get one for $26, and you will have trouble even finding them for $60 on ebay as most of the clearance units people picked up to resell are sold off.  Add to that the OTG adaptor and USB -> Ethernet adapter costs as well if you want to go hard wired.   In my house, 3 of my 4 shields are hard wired. because let's face it, wifi is never perfect.

The wireless adapter on the Shield allows for higher throughput than my Nexus Player did.  Using the Nexus Player was overall a crappy experience, as it even had issues with live tv playback through the Google Channels and View app which the Shield has zero issues with.

The NP was clearanced off for a reason.  And there is a reason that the Shield has not been updated so far, or had it's price decreased.  It's a good quality unit, and it simply works.  The Android TV interface is loads better than your standard Android interface as well, and to get that you are limited to Shield, Razor, or NP.

I just bought 2 nexus devices on ebay for $60 2 weeks ago so they aren't hard to find at all.  Asus is releasing refurbished models constantly and they are sold on there.  I have 0 issues with using my NPs and both of them are wireless.  One in a second living room and the other in my kitchen.  All my gf uses it for is recorded / livetv and has never had an issue with it.  I don't know what these google channels and view apps are but I don't use any of them.  I am talking strictly emby here because again thats what I bought these boxes for which is why I can't see spending $200 on it.  Then one second you are talking about how great the wifi on the sheild is then the next you are saying you have 3 of 4 hardwired?  Sounds to me like you should have spent some of the $800 you spent on shields and upgraded your wifi.  I have 3 access points in my house that are all hard wired to the main router.  I have 0 issues watching any of my media over wireless and that includes watching it outside.

When it comes Kodi or any software for that matter doesn't even come close to the WMC experience when it comes to Live TV / Recorded TV and the WAF factor is another story.  I could never get my gf to touch KODI.  Don't get me wrong... I love KODI I used XBMC when I put it on my hacked xbox 10 years ago but give it to my parents or my gf and they will be beyond confused with all of its features.  Which all goes back to if I am going to pay $200 I might as well build a WMC computer.

I also don't know what issues you have with codecs on the firetv / NP.  My livetv / recorded tv has to transcode but I use Serverwmc so there is no avoiding that I want WMC on my main tv because its flat out better.  Then other than that I have a few random really old AVI files that have to transcode and thats it.  Everything else for the most part plays direct via firetv and NP.  Then those items that do transcode... so what?  Its an extender on a tv with no sound system so I don't care even if it ends up with stereo sound.  My sound system is on the main pc with the better UI and 100% codec support because its a PC.  

Then better UI on the shield? The NP has the latest Android TV version on it so I don't think it gets much better than pure Marshmallow.  I'm almost positive thats all the sheild has too besides what ever it adds on which I don't need... I use netflix and emby.  Thats it. 

epayson85

But it does allow you to stream those said PC games and does have a couple of premium games

So again you need a PC to stream it so why not just use the PC? I'm confused.

Vidman

No you don't need a PC... You can also stream from nvidias servers.

Also the shield is cheaper and much smaller than a gaming pc

Edited by Vidman

epayson85

What doesn't it do in your opinion?

The only feature missing in kodi is 3D as far as I'm aware

Everything else is plugin (download) and play

A PC can do everything the sheild does plus everything a PC can do.  You can even run android on your PC.  The fact is you need a PC to run the server software... so why not have a strong PC that gives you the best possible user experience plus all the games and whistles that you could ever need hooked up to your main tv with your sound system and so forth.  From there why do I need a shield?  The rest of my TV's around the house are not going to be as big or have the fancy sound system.  If I want to play video games I will go to my main tv with all my other video game systems and where all my video games are located.  So the rest of my tvs are basically extenders of that server.  Why spend $200 when a box that works just as well at playing movies and tv shows can be bought for $60 to $100?  I'm not saying the shield is a bad product.  Its great... its just way over priced for what it can do considering A PC of the same price can do the same and more not to mention give you a better UI.  

Vidman

A PC can do everything the sheild does plus everything a PC can do. You can even run android on your PC. The fact is you need a PC to run the server software... so why not have a strong PC that gives you the best possible user experience plus all the games and whistles that you could ever need hooked up to your main tv with your sound system and so forth. From there why do I need a shield? The rest of my TV's around the house are not going to be as big or have the fancy sound system. If I want to play video games I will go to my main tv with all my other video game systems and where all my video games are located. So the rest of my tvs are basically extenders of that server. Why spend $200 when a box that works just as well at playing movies and tv shows can be bought for $60 to $100? I'm not saying the shield is a bad product. Its great... its just way over priced for what it can do considering A PC of the same price can do the same and more not to mention give you a better UI.

I disagree I don't believe a PC at the same price could do any more or have a better ui for TV use

Just having hdmi-cec support on a PC is not easy

Edited by Vidman

epayson85

No you don't need a PC... You can also stream from nvidias servers.

Also the shield is cheaper and much smaller than a gaming pc

wow they have every Game on there even the old ones? because I doubt it.  And you still need a PC to run the EMBY server software.  So you are buying a PC no matter what.  Or you can run it on a NAS but thats still expensive so you might as well build a PC if you want to game.

epayson85

I disagree I don't believe a PC at the same price could do any more or have a better ui for TV use

Have you ever used WMC?  Because if you watch live TV with your computer there is NO BETTER experience than that.  Period.  And I have computers that I have built for less than $200 that I did just that with them.  I have stopped using them because I want to save electricity and the EMBY app is just fine for the few times I use the other tvs in my house.

Edited by epayson85

MSattler

I just bought 2 nexus devices on ebay for $60 2 weeks ago so they aren't hard to find at all.  Asus is releasing refurbished models constantly and they are sold on there.  I have 0 issues with using my NPs and both of them are wireless.  One in a second living room and the other in my kitchen.  All my gf uses it for is recorded / livetv and has never had an issue with it.  I don't know what these google channels and view apps are but I don't use any of them.  I am talking strictly emby here because again thats what I bought these boxes for which is why I can't see spending $200 on it.  Then one second you are talking about how great the wifi on the sheild is then the next you are saying you have 3 of 4 hardwired?  Sounds to me like you should have spent some of the $800 you spent on shields and upgraded your wifi.  I have 3 access points in my house that are all hard wired to the main router.  I have 0 issues watching any of my media over wireless and that includes watching it outside.

When it comes Kodi or any software for that matter doesn't even come close to the WMC experience when it comes to Live TV / Recorded TV and the WAF factor is another story.  I could never get my gf to touch KODI.  Don't get me wrong... I love KODI I used XBMC when I put it on my hacked xbox 10 years ago but give it to my parents or my gf and they will be beyond confused with all of its features.  Which all goes back to if I am going to pay $200 I might as well build a WMC computer.

I also don't know what issues you have with codecs on the firetv / NP.  My livetv / recorded tv has to transcode but I use Serverwmc so there is no avoiding that I want WMC on my main tv because its flat out better.  Then other than that I have a few random really old AVI files that have to transcode and thats it.  Everything else for the most part plays direct via firetv and NP.  Then those items that do transcode... so what?  Its an extender on a tv with no sound system so I don't care even if it ends up with stereo sound.  My sound system is on the main pc with the better UI and 100% codec support because its a PC.  

Then better UI on the shield? The NP has the latest Android TV version on it so I don't think it gets much better than pure Marshmallow.  I'm almost positive thats all the sheild has too besides what ever it adds on which I don't need... I use netflix and emby.  Thats it. 

So I should have spent my $800 on better wifi?  You my good sir, are an ass hat =)  Did you miss the part where I mentioned that the Shields in the same location as the NP was, wireless have no issues?  This was simply a NP issue, and if you look around plenty of people complain.  I suppose if your playing your stuff at crappy bit rates, then well surely it works well for you.  Have you tried playing back 1:1 30-40Mbps BluRay rips?  By the way, I run an Asus AC3200 router and wifi is not an issue.  Smartass.

As far as the codecs on the FireTV's, I suppose you listen to stereo, or AC-3?  Have you tried listening to DTS,Dolby,TrueHD, or DTS-HD Soundtracks?  Probably not else you would realize how much better codec support the shield has.  Hell even EBR and Luke will tell you the same thing.

So since you are so hopped up on the 2 year old NP, how about we wait until the Shield goes clearance for $80, and then we can compare an $80 shield, to a $60 NP.  Because that is the comparison you are making.  You want to compare a cheap ass Ford Focus, against a Shely GT.  You keep on driving your Focus, meanwhile I'll be enjoying TrueHD/DTS-HD, and full quality bluray rips.

MSattler

Have you ever used WMC?  Because if you watch live TV with your computer there is NO BETTER experience than that.  Period.  And I have computers that I have built for less than $200 that I did just that with them.  I have stopped using them because I want to save electricity and the EMBY app is just fine for the few times I use the other tvs in my house.

WMC is dead.   Simple as that.

MSattler

A PC can do everything the sheild does plus everything a PC can do.  You can even run android on your PC.  The fact is you need a PC to run the server software... so why not have a strong PC that gives you the best possible user experience plus all the games and whistles that you could ever need hooked up to your main tv with your sound system and so forth.  From there why do I need a shield?  The rest of my TV's around the house are not going to be as big or have the fancy sound system.  If I want to play video games I will go to my main tv with all my other video game systems and where all my video games are located.  So the rest of my tvs are basically extenders of that server.  Why spend $200 when a box that works just as well at playing movies and tv shows can be bought for $60 to $100?  I'm not saying the shield is a bad product.  Its great... its just way over priced for what it can do considering A PC of the same price can do the same and more not to mention give you a better UI.  

Maybe you have a small collection but my Emby environment consists of 3 servers, with 50TB of storage.  Ain't no way in hell I'm putting that into my Living Room.  Look I get it, not everyone's install base is going to be as large as mine, but the whole point of Emby is to put a big ass server somewhere out of the way, and use devices to connect.

Why run a huge ugly pc in your living room?

epayson85

So I should have spent my $800 on better wifi?  You my good sir, are an ass hat =)  Did you miss the part where I mentioned that the Shields in the same location as the NP was, wireless have no issues?  This was simply a NP issue, and if you look around plenty of people complain.  I suppose if your playing your stuff at crappy bit rates, then well surely it works well for you.  Have you tried playing back 1:1 30-40Mbps BluRay rips?  By the way, I run an Asus AC3200 router and wifi is not an issue.  Smartass.

As far as the codecs on the FireTV's, I suppose you listen to stereo, or AC-3?  Have you tried listening to DTS,Dolby,TrueHD, or DTS-HD Soundtracks?  Probably not else you would realize how much better codec support the shield has.  Hell even EBR and Luke will tell you the same thing.

So since you are so hopped up on the 2 year old NP, how about we wait until the Shield goes clearance for $80, and then we can compare an $80 shield, to a $60 NP.  Because that is the comparison you are making.  You want to compare a cheap ass Ford Focus, against a Shely GT.  You keep on driving your Focus, meanwhile I'll be enjoying TrueHD/DTS-HD, and full quality bluray rips.

I didn't say all $800 I said some of the $800 on better wifi.  All of my files besides liveTV / recorded tv and a few random files play direct so there are no low bitrates being used.  Again I don't need DTS, Dolby, or any other crazy sound track on my android devices because they are connected to a TV with crappy TV speakers.  My main PC is connected to my sound system which supports EVERYTHING and will continue to support EVERYTHING.  

Again I know the sheild has all the bells and whistles and its better than the NP and fireTV. the question still remains... WHY? Why spend $200 on a box that has things you don't need for an extender.  Do you have a dolby 5.1 capable system connected to every single one of those shields? Because I highly doubt it.  You need a PC to run EMBY so have EMBY on the TV that needs all those bells and whistles.  Everything else... just needs a cheap extender that can play everything.  So now compare the NP, AFTV, and The shield for doing that... O crap! They are exactly the same except a couple of them leave a lot more money in my pocket. 

epayson85

Maybe you have a small collection but my Emby environment consists of 3 servers, with 50TB of storage.  Ain't no way in hell I'm putting that into my Living Room.  Look I get it, not everyone's install base is going to be as large as mine, but the whole point of Emby is to put a big ass server somewhere out of the way, and use devices to connect.

Why run a huge ugly pc in your living room?

Actually I have nothing in my media room except speakers and a tv.  My server, back up server, video game systems, and audio receiver are all in my office.  Then everything is wired to that room and I use radio frequency / wifi remotes to control everything.  So everything looks nice and clean.

epayson85

WMC is dead.   Simple as that.

weird... WMC still works great for me lol.  The tv guide is leaps and bounds ahead of everything out there. Then also the EMBY app for it is honestly better than any other emby app in my opinion.  It looks and runs great! supports every codec out there too.

MSattler

I didn't say all $800 I said some of the $800 on better wifi. All of my files besides liveTV / recorded tv and a few random files play direct so there are no low bitrates being used. Again I don't need DTS, Dolby, or any other crazy sound track on my android devices because they are connected to a TV with crappy TV speakers. My main PC is connected to my sound system which supports EVERYTHING and will continue to support EVERYTHING.

Again I know the sheild has all the bells and whistles and its better than the NP and fireTV. the question still remains... WHY? Why spend $200 on a box that has things you don't need for an extender. Do you have a dolby 5.1 capable system connected to every single one of those shields? Because I highly doubt it. You need a PC to run EMBY so have EMBY on the TV that needs all those bells and whistles. Everything else... just needs a cheap extender that can play everything. So now compare the NP, AFTV, and The shield for doing that... O crap! They are exactly the same except a couple of them leave a lot more money in my pocket.

I have a total of four surroundsound system between then and now five Shields I ha I have a total of four surroundsound system between them now five Shields that connect to my server.

MSattler

weird... WMC still works great for me lol. The tv guide is leaps and bounds ahead of everything out there. Then also the EMBY app for it is honestly better than any other emby app in my opinion. It looks and runs great! supports every codec out there too.

And what happens when Windows 7 and Windows 8 Is no longer supported and goes out of mainstream support? Without any security updates? I suppose you just allow your system to become a part of a bot net. Edited by MSattler

MSattler

I didn't say all $800 I said some of the $800 on better wifi. All of my files besides liveTV / recorded tv and a few random files play direct so there are no low bitrates being used. Again I don't need DTS, Dolby, or any other crazy sound track on my android devices because they are connected to a TV with crappy TV speakers. My main PC is connected to my sound system which supports EVERYTHING and will continue to support EVERYTHING.

Again I know the sheild has all the bells and whistles and its better than the NP and fireTV. the question still remains... WHY? Why spend $200 on a box that has things you don't need for an extender. Do you have a dolby 5.1 capable system connected to every single one of those shields? Because I highly doubt it. You need a PC to run EMBY so have EMBY on the TV that needs all those bells and whistles. Everything else... just needs a cheap extender that can play everything. So now compare the NP, AFTV, and The shield for doing that... O crap! They are exactly the same except a couple of them leave a lot more money in my pocket.

So out of curiosity have you ever owned or even touched a shield? I see you giving all the advice about how the Nexus player is just as good. For those of us who have used both there is clearly just one winner. So I'm dying to know if you're making your entire argument based upon a player you have never even used. Edited by MSattler

epayson85

And what happens when Windows 7 and Windows 8 I no longer supported and go out of mainstream support? Without any security updates? I suppose you just allow your system becomes a part of a bot net.

And what happens when Windows 7 and Windows 8 I no longer supported and go out of mainstream support? Without any security updates? I suppose you can just allow your system becomes a part of a bot net.

LOL is that even a serious question?  You seem like a smart guy I'm sure you know how to monitor network traffic.

epayson85

So out of curiosity have you ever owned or even touched a shield? I see you giving all the advice about how the Nexus player is just as good. For those of us who have used both there is clearly just one winner. So I'm dying to know if you're making your entire argument based upon a player you have never even used.

Why do I need to use it????  I use my extenders for emby and netflix!! Emby works perfect Check, netflix works perfect, CHECK.  Didn't spend $200 CHECK.  Ok why would I get an over priced shield? LOL

MSattler

LOL is that even a serious question? You seem like a smart guy I'm sure you know how to monitor network traffic.

It is a tota serious question from someone who is CEH certified. You are giving advice to the masses. Most of the folks which wouldn't think about things like this. Sure I can run a NT4 server and get stuff done because it is cheaper and still works. But I would never openly admit it and risk others being hacked.

Edited by MSattler

epayson85

I have a total of four surroundsound system between then and now five Shields I ha I have a total of four surroundsound system between them now five Shields that connect to my server.

4 surround sound systems??? WHY?  I mean if you honestly have that then by all means get a shield LOL!!  But for the average person that doesn't have 5+ speakers and a receiver in every room of their house there is no point.

MSattler

Why do I need to use it???? I use my extenders for emby and netflix!! Emby works perfect Check, netflix works perfect, CHECK. Didn't spend $200 CHECK. Ok why would I get an over priced shield? LOL

In case you want TrueHD, Dts-hd. To have a player with decent Wi-Fi coverage that won't break up on high quality content.

MSattler

4 surround sound systems??? WHY? I mean if you honestly have that then by all means get a shield LOL!! But for the average person that doesn't have 5+ speakers and a receiver in every room of their house there is no point.

Because I have a room with a projector and surround sound. Its a man cave. I also have another room with a 65" samsung as a family room. My bedroom also has surround sound with the 55" and i have another family with surround sound as well.

So have you ever actually used a shield?

MSattler

In case you want TrueHD, Dts-hd. To have a player with decent Wi-Fi coverage that won't break up on high quality content.

Btw have you ever used a hdhomerun directly from the NP? If you have you would know livetv via channels and view run like shit. With the Shield it works perfectly. No transcoding no issues.

I get your being cheap point but your view and usage is limited compared to many others.

epayson85

It is a tota serious question from someone who is CEH certified. You are giving advice to the masses. Most of the folks which wouldn't think about things like this. Sure I can run a NT4 server and get stuff done because it is cheaper and still works. But I would never openly admit it and risk others being hacked.

The average person isn't going to be hacked though.  Could you get a virus or malware that allow you to become a part of a botnet? sure... but I wouldn't recommend browsing the web on your HTPC / server anyway.  It has one purpose, use it for that.  You want to browse the web and download things then go use a computer with updated security.  Christ my backup computer is running windows home server on it.  I love that OS and support for it just ended this month actually.  I won't be upgrading it.  All it does is house a backup of all my files.  No one touches it and its perfectly safe.  

epayson85

Yes but most people don't have a receiver capable of processing that audio in every room of their house.  I'm not putting surround sound on my 21" tv in my kitchen lol